Vigdis' train room
We have an area called a "crawl space" that is even lower, and has pipes below the joists. I keep 2 hats outside the entrance that have a couple of layers of bubble wrap inside the top. These are to be worn at all times (yeah, I know!) inside. Without the wrap, the rivet in the middle of the cap gets driven into the scalp.

In Las Vegas, I bumped my head on the roof every time we went to the second floor of the bus.

Next week we talk about wiring the gate.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Today Vigdis has been working on the backdrop, and the first coat is done:

[Image: 2897_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2901_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 2904_w1200.jpg]

We've also been tweaking the track plan a little. The peninsula with the saw mill area is still to be decided, but the rest of the plan is finished:

[Image: Vigdis_03_w800.jpg]

Svein
Svein, I am very impressed. No comments are needed from me because what ever she does will be right I am sure, and if it isn't right it soon will be. That is a great layout design.
Regards
Charlie Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
The low haziness of the sky looks perfect ! Is Vigdis intending to paint in some of the background details first, or wait until the track is laid in ?
I have the luxury of removing the backdrop ( Skyboards ) from the modules, so they are easier to paint. No, I haven't gotten around to doing that . . . .yet :oops:
The "sky's day" will come, most likely on the "new modules", and then, later on the old modules.

Old model railroader's Proverb: " Never do today what you can put off 'til Tomorrow " Wink
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Lookin' good !

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
She has a lot of talent!
Reinhard
Thanks for the kind words, guys! Smile

This was her second try at the backdrop. The first one didn't end up the way she wanted it; the masonite flexed and moved a little too much and made the joints very hard to hide, and the color and surface finish was all wrong (you can see some of it right next to the window in the second pic above).

Instead of sanding everything down and struggle with the joints one more time, we decided to use vinyl flooring. The pieces were cut to the correct height (70cm) in the store, and we used regular wallpaper glue to fasten the 2 meter long strips onto the masonite.

The sky was painted with rollers and brushes, using a wet-in-wet technique we read about that she wanted to try. She did some practicing on a spare piece of masonite first, then the entire backdrop was done in under three hours. There is still some touch-up to do; in some areas the yellow vinyl shines through, and there are a couple of visible brush strokes that will be softened with some light drybrushing.

The clouds, distant hills and other details will be painted after the basic terrain is built, but before the layout sections are permanently fixed in place. The sections will be built with stacked pieces of styrofoam and spray foam cut to shape (pretty much the same way she built the diorama earlier), which then can be lifted out and carried upstairs for scenicking. The plan is to finish as much as possible upstairs, and just go over the section joints as the different pieces are put together in the layout room.

Svein
Well sir, this thread is on the list of places I go to when I feel I need to be impressed ! ( which is fairly often )
I look forward to seeing the progress. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Working with styrofoam can be rather messy, here's an in-progress pic from this afternoon:

[Image: 2906_w1200.jpg]

We bought some self-adhesive and flexible PVC strip to use between the backdrop and the ceiling, I think it looks quite nice with a framing up there. The same strip will be used around the door and window openings, but as the narrow "lip" on the strip will be bent backwards, it has to be glued in place first. The one strip at the doorway is barely visible to the left in the pic, after the glue has cured we'll see if the rest can be bent back and fastened without the glue coming loose.

Svein
The styrofoam base called for some creative thinking when fastening the Bullfrog turnout controls, but I think we came up with a workable solution. After marking the turnout position and making a hole for the piano wire, a piece of 6mm plywood was recessed and glued into the underside of the upper foam piece. This particular section is part of the staging area, so there's no need for any roadbed here:

[Image: 2909_w1200.jpg]

The Bullfrog mechanism will be recessed into the lower foam piece, with a groove on the underside of the foam to hold the control rod:

[Image: 2911_w1200.jpg]

We also got a very exiting package in the mail today! Big Grin :

[Image: 2919_w1200.jpg]

Svein
Ah Ha !!, and two of the stall floors came with the inspection pits already in them !! 8-) 8-) Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
I still have to "get around to" doing that in the roundhouse on the new modules. Good thing I left the roof assembly "removable" Big Grin Big Grin
Sumpter250 Wrote:[...] and two of the stall floors came with the inspection pits already in them !! 8-) 8-) Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

After doing a lot of searching on the net for roundhouse kits, Vigdis just fell in love with the"Wolf Creek" roundhouse w/machine shop from Andersen Model Kits. We originally planned for a three-stall roundhouse with one inspection pit, but after some discussion we decided to add one stall and have two pits. It's custom built for Vigdis (great service btw), and I think it will be quite the centerpiece of the layout once it's finished.

Svein
No pics this time, but here's a short video shot today with the train running through the staging area:

http://www.hjemstad.no/videos/Vigdis_test_run_01.wmv

The staging area is completed, and she's started construction of the station/town area. The staging tracks are only pinned down for easy removal if needed to, but the rest of the track will be glued down and ballasted.

Svein
That is a really beautiful train. I am sure it will be sensational to see it running through Virgdi's highly detailed landscape.
Reinhard
Well, I always enjoyed the late Wolfgang Dudler's videos, and I hope you'll keep going in that fine tradition!