Cereal plant in Cleveland
On the other hand, one of the advantages of Conrail, if you go back another half dozen years or so, is the ability to run earlier diesels from a wide variety of roads, like EL, LV, PC, RDG, CNJ, even Raritan River. This would be especially true if you move one state east, to Pennsylvania. Then you could use patched RS-3s waiting to be rebuilt to DeWitt Geeps. That opens a whole new can of worms, of course, but Reinhard seems to be perfectly capable of venturing into new territory!
jwb Wrote:On the other hand, one of the advantages of Conrail, if you go back another half dozen years or so, is the ability to run earlier diesels from a wide variety of roads, like EL, LV, PC, RDG, CNJ, even Raritan River. This would be especially true if you move one state east, to Pennsylvania. Then you could use patched RS-3s waiting to be rebuilt to DeWitt Geeps. That opens a whole new can of worms, of course, but Reinhard seems to be perfectly capable of venturing into new territory!

Does anybody model early CR?? I don't recollect seeing model photos for early CR modeling on any of the forums I'm on..That is a interesting era. Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
In this Bing maps view, a yellow Trackmobile appears to be moving the hoppers around.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://binged.it/11lJj1N">http://binged.it/11lJj1N</a><!-- m -->

Always using Bing.com/maps to get a better aerial view. Google's sattelite view is OK, but Bing maps will let you read the railroad logos on locomotives if its cloe enough.

Historicaerials.com would be my next place to go to see how it was many years ago, if old photos are availalble.

Also, is that the South Shore line nearby? i notice some catenary poles on a viaduct, looks like an interesting area!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Brakie Wrote:Does anybody model early CR?? I don't recollect seeing model photos for early CR modeling on any of the forums I'm on..That is a interesting era. Thumbsup

You called? Thumbsup Big Grin

I agree, early Conrail opens up MANY possibilities.

Just the other day, I recieved a PRR GP9 #7206 from a friend. As it turns out, that GP9 never got repainted into Penn Central, and was running around nearby Columbus with the PRR patched out and CR patches applied! This unit got rebuilt into a GP10 and painted blue (#7514) by 1979, but it was cool while it lasted

Also, check out the neat B-unit in the middle. Smokey Valley makes a conversion kit for these.

Check it out-

[Image: _original]
Sweet looking consist.

Its refreshing to know all PRR units wasn't painted into PC..

That's a easy paint job to..Black paint,with white CR and gold PRR numbers..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:a yellow Trackmobile appears to be moving the hoppers around.
Found this video of the TrackMobile moving covered hoppers around in the Cereal Food Processors Inc. Plant Cleveland, OH.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb2zLjKbyJk
This is an interesting facility and if anyone is interested here is their web site: http://www.cerealfood.com/

They produce flour and not cereals and have facilities around the country. The Cleveland location is the most interesting as far as potential modeling, but is not something that would interest me as you'd only be handling covered hoppers of grain inbound and a few P/D hoppers of flour outbound; perhaps an occasional box car of bagged flour for facilities that still don't handle flour in covered hoppers. Still, it would make for a very interesting one industry ISL.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:In this Bing maps view, a yellow Trackmobile appears to be moving the hoppers around.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://binged.it/11lJj1N">http://binged.it/11lJj1N</a><!-- m -->

Always using Bing.com/maps to get a better aerial view. Google's sattelite view is OK, but Bing maps will let you read the railroad logos on locomotives if its cloe enough.

Historicaerials.com would be my next place to go to see how it was many years ago, if old photos are availalble.

Also, is that the South Shore line nearby? i notice some catenary poles on a viaduct, looks like an interesting area!

Chris, the overhead is for the Cleveland RTA's Red Line (just north of the 25th Street - Ohio City station). The line was supposed to be a railroad approach for the Cleveland Union Station. Close though as the line was part of the Cleveland Interurban Railroad.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Mike Kieran Wrote:Chris, the overhead is for the Cleveland RTA's Red Line (just north of the 25th Street - Ohio City station). The line was supposed to be a railroad approach for the Cleveland Union Station. Close though as the line was part of the Cleveland Interurban Railroad.

Aha! Now that you mention it, that makes a lot of sense. After all, the New York Central P-motors first operated on the Cleveland Union Terminal, an NYC subsidiary. At that time, they ran off of pantographs insteat of third rails. By the time diesels came around, it was determined that diesel smoke was acceptable, and so the P-motors were shipped off to New York City.

I should have guessed!

I've always wanted an NYC lightning stripe P-motor, just for fun. The P-motors are technically the true forerunners of the GG1. Though the New Haven EP3 is often credited with being the inspiration for the 4-6-6-4 wheel arrangment of the GG1, both of them are a result of the P-motor. I'm pretty sure they were built 1929, were converted to third rail in 1951, and retired by 1973.

When they were running, they pulled all the fancy New York Central passenger trains into the city.
I remember seeing them as a kid. It was one of the first times that I thought rough and grungy were cool.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Did start with the raw walls of an industry inspired by the Cleveland mill. My first attempt to do "rectangle aligned" holes for the windows failed miserable... My second try "constructing" windows is not much better but I am afraid it is best I can do.
ps. Did I mention I do love shoe box buildings without windows.... Wink

[Image: file-6.jpg]
Reinhard
Reinhard,

Don't forget, a lot of the older buildings tended to "settle" and the walls would shift and sag. As a result, the windows would appear slightly crooked. Add some heavy weathering and maybe a faded sign painted on the side of the wall and you will have yourself an absolute gem. You may be unwittingly creating a work of art. Thumbsup
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike Kieran Wrote:....older buildings tended to ....
That raises another question about the prototype of the main building of the complex.
The building has a surface made of brick but it looks quite modern. The brick wall has none of the decoration used 75 years ago. I assume it is a concrete building with a brick surface and it is not an old building. May be built 1970 or even younger.
Reinhard
Mike Kieran Wrote:Reinhard,

Don't forget, a lot of the older buildings tended to "settle" and the walls would shift and sag. As a result, the windows would appear slightly crooked. Add some heavy weathering and maybe a faded sign painted on the side of the wall and you will have yourself an absolute gem. You may be unwittingly creating a work of art. Thumbsup

Mike,There are building safety codes that apply to industries and a building walls that shifted and sagged would need repaired or torn down.That would be a sign of serious structure issues.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

I've seen industrial buildings in worse shape than Reinhard's building still in use. I'm just saying that it doesn't look that bad with a positive spin on it. It really doesn't look as bad as he said.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike,I fully agree Reinhard's building looks good.

We had a shabby industry building here and it was condemned but,there was serious structure issues that could have resulted in a collapse.It was town down..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry