slipping power gear
I have a locomotive that looks like a Pennsy GG1 that was produced by Model Power(I think). ( It only has a front and rear truck as the wheel arraingement.) My problem is the power gear, which is attached to the motor shaft, has come loose and slips on the shaft. Can I re-attach this gear to the shaft and if so how. It appears to have been pressed on. :?
I am afraid it did not become loose but it is split. The standard answer would be to get a new one.

If it is not likely to order a spare part (unknown brand, model, part number etc.) you may try CA super glue. But the chance it will permanent solve the problem is not good at all. The material the gear is made is very likely not suitable to glue. In any case make sure of oil and grease is removed before you apply any glue.

About a year ago some people with deeper chemical knowledge had a longer discussion what kind of plastic can, can hardly and can not at all be glued.
Reinhard
By any chance, is this the loco you have?
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/tycoelectricstrolleysturbos/id12.html">http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/tycoelect ... /id12.html</a><!-- m -->
If it is, the gear can be held on by applying a very small amount of Loc/Tite to the shaft, then slide the gear back in place and let it dry.
Ray Marinaccio
Yes Ray, this is a Tyco GG1 electric. Cheers
If the gear is truly split, then glue won't help much.

HOWEVER

I know that the gears on many of these old drives sometimes DO spin. I notice this on a lot of Brass models especially, where plastic gears are pressed onto metal shafts.

I reccomend Loctite 609 for this purpose. It is a thin, green adhesive that sets in 5 minutes, giving you time to work with it. It can also be used to affix Flywheels to motor shafts. Its supposedly formulated to hold up in these High-Torque environments.

It can be found here by scrolling down to "misclaneous repowering parts". It is item # 20010. I have not yet had this glue fail on me, all the drives i've rebuilt are still "stuck".
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]