MRC 7000 sound and power needs a home
I have a used MRC 7000 sound and power unit that does not have the speaker. I tested it and it works swell, It has dc output for ho and can switch to G scale, It is a little outdated for ho unless you are hard into dc. It has diesel sounds as well as steam, Has a nice steam whistle, but the deisel horn isn't my bag of tricks . Specs are here
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.collector-modeltrains.com/dash/universe/catalog_item/MT-0044303/">http://www.collector-modeltrains.com/da ... T-0044303/</a><!-- m -->
They are going for over 120 bucks on Ebay. No original box or speaker with this one and will include shipping for $100 to USA only.
Charlie B.
I have one of those. Had it for over 20 years now, and still using it today to power my layout. Unfortunately for MRC, they released it on the edge of DCC, and "on board" DCC sound systems and doppler effects. The steam sound and whistle is nice, but the diesel sound will give you a headache More of a hum and the horn flattens out when pushed to the max. Even hooking the controller to a Dolby sound system didnt help, though it did enhance the steam sounds and made them sound better. Real powerful, as I've had eight locos mu'ed, and only had to use half throttle.
The controller does have a "momentum" switch which is pretty cool effect, as you drop the throttle to "idle", your train keeps moving as if there is "tons" of freight behind the loco. When taking off from a stop and push the throttle up to "run 8", your train slowly starts to move until it reaches your desired speed. The sounds correspond to the movement. There is also a "brake switch, which brings the train to a stop, but unless you drop the throttle, before releasing the brake button, your train takes off at the speed set on the throttle.
I have used this controller for both N scale and HO scale layouts. There is a button in the back which switches it from HO and smaller scales(TT, N, and Z) to your larger scales(O, S, G), and you can hook up accessories to it. I did have Atlas remote N scale switches hooked up to it, and activating the switch, didn't make the power drop to the tracks.
Real nice controller, powerful, and I'm really pleased with the way it has performed for all these years. And except for the diesel sound and horns, is really a nice buy for those who are still using DC.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Some of my G scale guys said they use speakers that look like rocks and are weatherproof for outdoors. I don't know how you would use it for a garden railroad, but my hats off to the g scalers because they work miracles with things. I think HO is great because we make things. G folks grow things. Thumbsup Thumbsup
Charlie