reposition car weights
I always put up a small layout around the Christmas tree every year and this year I wanted to run some passenger cars. The cars I decided to use are very old and I only used them once or twice because one car always derailed. Well the car is still derailing. I finally decided to look into it more deeply than I had before so I removed the superstructure and behold I think I found the reason for my troubles---the car weights are all to one side causing the car to be off balance. Now the problem with this is the weights are glued to the car floor! They were made by Life-Like Trains and my question is: How do I loosen the glue so as to let me reposition the car weights on the floor with out damaging the undercariage of the car? 35
Leon, rather than remove the weights use some hot glue and add more to the other side to balance the car. You can use 1/2 inch nuts that you can buy by the pound at tractor supply. I'm guessing they are not visible.
Also make sure the trucks are not too loose and that the wheels are round and in gauge.
Charlie
hi Charlie;

I gave some thought about your idea with the 1/2 inch nuts but didn't want to add the extra weight. What I did finally was to looseb the weights with a small hobby screw driver and reglued them. So far the car is tracking well. Thank you for your thoughts and interest;

Leon Cheers
Glad to offer suggestions Leon.
We were through your town a couple weeks ago on our way back from Bedford. I wanted to go through Windber and like to see what is going on in Johnstown when I am in the area,
Charlie