finally building layout
As most of you know,a while back i started a standard gauge HO logging layout in the late 1940's in the pacific northwest.well,it took a backseat for a while and i finally got the scratchbuilding bug after being on the new site with all my freinds again Thumbsup .so this thread will have anything and everything i do to the layou.over the weekend and my day off ill post a diorama i built to test my scenery making skills Nope .and next up will be 2 spool donkey and a work train with a totally scratchbuilt machinists car,flat car,wood chip gon and at some point ill build a caboose and boxcar to go along for the ride.i also have a 25,000 gallon water tank in progress and a fuel oil station made form a tanker.hobby lobby finally got some good stuff in so that really helped me out,so hopefully scratchbuilding will take much less time.and at some point ill HAVE to finish my sawmill,its way overdue but its been a real pain to find enough pics of the interior to do so.but even still,i cant wait to get home and start postin pics!--josh

about the water tank.i found the best form for the tank EVER.a 20 oz powerade bottle is the EXACT size in HO for the tank and the angled top has the right roof pitch to boot :o ,ha what luck!
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
Hey, glad to hear you are back to work on the layout. I thought you had a pretty clever plan, and was curious as to your progress.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
its nice to see someone actually responded.the layout was held back for a while,but i scratchbuilt a few other things.man,i cant wait to get home and start postin pics 2285_ --josh
Josh...Having never seen (or been much interested in) a logging RR, I was blown away by the work of two guys over in the other place-Dr. G. and Bill Nelson. Have you checked out their work..?? It's absolutely amazing...!!

Looking forward to seeing any updates on your new venture.... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Josh im glad to see you back at it again and making some progress, im exited to see the pics of the scratchbuilt stuff, they sound sweet!!
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
i saw the guys work on the "other" site and it was fantastic!,i really hope that they get to make it over here Thumbsup .but sad news,my computer took a crap on me as i was loading pics so it wil have to wait a few more days Nope but on a good note it will be up and running by the time my new EG-E cars get here :mrgreen: 1990_dancing :mrgreen: --josh
OK,i got the pics (finally!!!) but the camera i have is to crappy to get good quality pics so these ones you can get an idea of the stuff i've been building.
the t drum donkey engine.it still needs the rope around the drums:

[Image: myloggingtrain004.jpg]

here is the scratchbuilt sawfilers/blacksmith car:
[Image: myloggingtrain005.jpg]

[Image: myloggingtrain006.jpg]

[Image: myloggingtrain007.jpg]

this is a scrathcbuilt fuel oil filling station made from an old life-like tank car and crossing shanty.i still need to find pics of the type of tube on them used for filling the tenders :?:

[Image: myloggingtrain008.jpg]

[Image: myloggingtrain009.jpg]

here is the re-built flat,also a life-like model.i either have to buy some stirrup steps or try making my own out of wire,which isnt correct as the steps are supposed to be flat,not round.

[Image: myloggingtrain017.jpg]

here it shows the deck detail (kinda Misngth ) that staining and building the deck piece by piece can give you.its give a rdomness to the deck that scribing or styrene can never match.

[Image: myloggingtrain014.jpg]
heres my kitbashed life-like loco with an airtank on the hood,canvas covering the radiator (for ease of starting on cold oregon nights Misngth ) wooden toolbox on back and heavily weathered

[Image: myloggingtrain026.jpg]

[Image: myloggingtrain025.jpg]

this is an old mantua gon,thatg is now used for awdust service.i bent the sides using a very hot lightbulb and then made "patch panels" out of .005 tin that i punched with simulated rivets.the whole thing still needs to be weathered.

[Image: myloggingtrain019.jpg]

[Image: myloggingtrain018.jpg]

and finally a sand house and crane i bought froma guy on the old site.

[Image: myloggingtrain022.jpg]

[Image: myloggingtrain023.jpg]

anyways,i know the pics are horrible,but its all i can do for now,and the way that the economy is going i doubt ill get a new camera for quite sometime.i really dont even know why i post pics.there almost too fuzzy to be worth it.... Nope --josh
Looks like you're too close to your subject. Try taking your shots a little further back. A couple of inches is probably all you need.
From what I see though, things are looking pretty good.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Looks like you did a very nice job. For the camera if its possible to adjust the ( not sure on the technical term) resolution up , camera will take less pictures but higher quality.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Looks like you're too close to your subject. Try taking your shots a little further back. A couple of inches is probably all you need.
From what I see though, things are looking pretty good.

If your camera is a digital with a "macro" setting (icon looks like a tulip) try using the macro setting for close ups or move back a bit as eightyeightfan1 suggested.
The pics might not be the best quality, but the workmanship looks incredible!!
Try taking a few more using some of the others suggestions.
And where is the diorama?

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
ill redo all the pics probably friday when i have a good computer to use.ill also have to dig up the manual for the camera to adjust the settings if it is possible.but its rather old and is somewhat of a ghetto camera Icon_lol .or,maybe i could borrow my dads new camera Thumbsup .it takes some pretty good close up pics. and ill be sure to take pics of the diorama as well Thumbsup .thanks for the comments and help.--josh
Josh-Good to see you back.I really like the stuff you scratchbuilt-"Good Job". Glad to see that you still have the items that you got from me.I think they will fit in nicely with your layout theme. Can't wait to see more. Bob
OK,so im borrowing my dads camera (its sooooo much better Misngth ) and taking better (hopefully 2285_ ) pics of the locos and the diorama.and my new EG-E cars 2296_ and a few other rust buckets i've been detailing for a friend.--josh

P.S and yeah FR,i still have your buildings Thumbsup and i think they'll look great if i ever get the engine servicing facility done,but right now there making great desk models Nope --josh