finally building layout
OK,for some reason i cant edit my old pics to put in the new ones so if a mod could delete the posts to lower the amount of pics on the page,that would be great for any dial-up users.so i tried to get better pics but this cam is so basic it only has a few settings.but i backed up and had better lighting.hopefully my dads cam will be even higher quality.but ill have to find later,till then here are some "new" pics to test the new technique.--josh

first up is the diorama i promised,all it is is a log landing that will have my donkey rigged up here once i find some pulleys.

[Image: loggingcarsandengines007.jpg]

[Image: loggingcarsandengines011.jpg]

[Image: loggingcarsandengines013.jpg]

and here is the blacksmith car,if this pic works ill post the rest,if not,ill wait till tomorrow

[Image: loggingcarsandengines016.jpg]

[Image: loggingcarsandengines017.jpg]

[Image: loggingcarsandengines.jpg]
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
i think they turned out a little better,although i think ill HAVE to get a better cam,this one is just getting to old and the pics arent really worth the trouble.it just kinda sucks to have to take pics of my work,yet i cant really share them because the pics dont do them justice--josh
The first few do look better when you used the flash.
Are you using the ambient light when you take pics of your rolling stock?
Looks like you're moving the camera, before it can adjust to the light and take a pic. Trying using the flash, or a brighter light source placed above your subject.
Or even taken out side in the bright sun might help.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
i was using a desk lamp for lighting on the rolling stock,should i use 2 instead? and im getting the am as steady as i can without a tripod,ill post a few more in a minute with a few modifications.but if you can,could you also delete my old pics,they're just taking up space now. i could also try going outside too,but i think my best bet will be to use my dads cam,its quite a bit nicer than my ghetto cam Misngth --josh
OK,so im still using my crapo cam and now used 2 desk lights with bigger bulbs AND used the flash,i think there a little less fuzzy but the colors and little details stand out a bit better,tell me what you think.--josh

[Image: loggingcarsandengines018.jpg]

[Image: loggingcarsandengines019.jpg]

[Image: loggingcarsandengines020.jpg]

on this last one,instead of trying to hold the cam to see the top,i fliiped the car on its side while still keeping the stability of the cam

[Image: loggingcarsandengines021.jpg]
fantastic job.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Josh, I think that your pictures at the top of this page were well-lit, while these latest ones are just a bit over-lit. The real problem seems to be camera movement and, in some cases, the camera being too close to the subject. If you don't have a tripod, place the camera directly on something solid - if the subject is on a table or desk, place the camera on the same surface. Use a book, block of wood, etc. to raise either the subject or the camera, as required, so that the subject is in the centre of the camera's viewfinder. Many digital cameras have a pre-focus feature, usually activated by partially depressing the button for the shutter. This will allow you to see if the subject is in focus or not - if it's not, move either the camera or the subject until you get satisfactory results.
I use a tripod when possible, but there are many areas that can't be photographed properly by having the camera on a tripod. For these, I have a collection of wood scraps of varying thicknesses, which are placed on the layout, as required. The camera is then placed atop the wood while the picture is taken.
Your models look good, but the pictures, I think, don't do them justice. I particularly like the ground cover on your diorama, though, as it shows well. With a little practice, you should be able to get decent-quality pictures with even a cheapie camera - you just need to understand the camera's limitations, then work within them.
Finally, if you want to remove pictures from your earlier posts, simply use the "EDIT" function.

Wayne
Bob Boudreau (of Fundy Northern fame) has an excellent overview of shooting specifically for railroad models...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/">http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/</a><!-- m -->

Andrew
thanks for the help guys,i borrowed my dads cam today and took some pictures to see if it was me or the cam,and im thinking its me so ill keep experimenting.but heres what i've got so far as tests.

[Image: logginggrampscamera2002.jpg]
i backed up a little farther and played with the exposure a bit.i got these:

[Image: logginggrampscamera3001.jpg]

[Image: logginggrampscamera3002.jpg]
oops,double post
And already better: in focus, taken from a realistic angle, and not too badly lit, although moving the light source a little lower might make it even better. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
thanks wayne,and everyone else who has helped me Worship ,andrew,that site helped alot! i used the timer tip on there to get rid of ALOT of the movement by taking pressure off the cam.ill try fiddling with the cam some more tomorrow.i was also wondering,what exactly does exposure time do to a photo :?: ? ill finish putting grabs on this car tomorrow also,and finally post some more pics Cheers Goldth --josh

the lighting on my latest photos has a weird color to it,even with a daylight bulb,it kinda looks like an old time builders photo,with the faded out edges and all 35
Increasing the exposure time, without adjusting any other settings, will make your picture brighter, as it increases the amount of time that the shutter remains open while the image is being made (letting in light for a longer period of time). While you might think that this would be a good way to brighten-up the picture, it is also a good way to get a blurry image if the camera is hand held, as there's an increased time period in which any movement of the camera can screw-up the image.

Wayne
OK,i knew the exposure exposed the film for longer,i just didnt know what exactly it did to a picture,thanks wayne.and look out for your EG-E cars on here soon Thumbsup --josh