Poll: What are some of your other hobbies?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Scale modeling-other than trains
6.15%
12 6.15%
R/C-cars, planes, boats
3.08%
6 3.08%
Geocaching
1.03%
2 1.03%
Construction
3.08%
6 3.08%
Woodworking
5.64%
11 5.64%
Electronics
6.15%
12 6.15%
Art
3.08%
6 3.08%
Automobile restoration
4.62%
9 4.62%
Target shooting-guns/bow & arrow
6.15%
12 6.15%
Writing-poems or stories
1.03%
2 1.03%
Cooking, baking
4.10%
8 4.10%
Sewing, knitting, crocheting
0%
0 0%
Sports-indoor
0.51%
1 0.51%
Sports-outdoor
2.05%
4 2.05%
Motorsports
4.10%
8 4.10%
Photography
7.69%
15 7.69%
Music
6.67%
13 6.67%
Jewelry making
0%
0 0%
Reenactment
0%
0 0%
Mind games- such as crosswords or chess
1.03%
2 1.03%
Collecting (other than trains)
7.18%
14 7.18%
Other hobby not on this list (let us know)
7.69%
15 7.69%
Fishing/hunting
3.59%
7 3.59%
Hiking/jogging/running
2.56%
5 2.56%
Gardening
2.56%
5 2.56%
Video gaming
6.15%
12 6.15%
Stamp/coin collecting
2.56%
5 2.56%
Astronomy
1.54%
3 1.54%
Total 195 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What are your other hobbies
GPS - - - - OK

But I still prefer Multiple Application Positioning Systems - - -- -There's no batteries to go dead, just when you need to use them. Icon_lol Icon_lol Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:GPS - - - - OK

But I still prefer Multiple Application Positioning Systems - - -- -There's no batteries to go dead, just when you need to use them. Icon_lol Icon_lol Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Yep. All the person needs is enough gray matter in the air space between the ears to understand how to use it properly. I can remember a bunch of officers from my army days who'd be in dire straights without a private to read the map for them.
Icon_lol
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's

Beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam
Sumpter250 Wrote:GPS - - - - OK

The only downside to that is you need to know where you are in the first place, then find that spot on the paper you're holding. Misngth Now with GPS, when you turn it on, there's a little pointer thingy that does that work for you. 2285_
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
My cell phone doesn't have a GPS. And who says I want to be found! Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:My cell phone doesn't have a GPS. And who says I want to be found! Icon_lol

I'm sure that would depend on how hungry you were and if your brewskies were still keeping cold in the ice chest.... Misngth Popcornbeer
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I am darned good with a map, and my wife worked in the field with a surveyor for 3 years, so she does well with a map to, but maps don't tell you to get in the left lane to make an exit from the left in 6 miles nor do they warn you of sharp curves in the road.
I resisted a GPS for a long time but when I took my son to Virginia to pick up my grand daughter last summer he had borrowed a Garmen which got us there without a problem. Never once took the Atlas out from the map holder. When we were going on a trip to pick up our female Samoyed I went to Walmart and got one the night before we left. I told the clerk if it didn't put me in my driveway I would bring it back because most systems had folks turning one block too soon.
This one took me right to the drive way.
This one has already paid it's way with no getting lost, and having the speed limits right there in front of you, as well as the speed on the GPS.
It is nice to find the food and gas stops too.
Charlie
I had never severe problems finding any place with a map or with my wife reading the map and directing me.
However, my wife did miss a lot of scenery on our tours (specially in the US) because she was reading the maps and I had sometimes a hard time to get into the right lane on the last hundred yards not to miss an exit. We had a much more relaxed vacation with my TomTom. And in high traffic areas with a dense network of interstates like LA is an advanced information what lane is the best to get the exit a very welcome gift.
Here in Germany is the TomTom App online and knows the traffic information too. That is very handy to circumvent the many traffic jams on the autobahn around Stuttgart. It is nice to know the standard route but get an early warning and an suggestion about an alternate route depending on the dynamic traffic situation. I assume you have the same feature in the US but mobile data transmission is prohibitive expensive with a German mobile phone carrier in the US and I did not use it.
Reinhard
I agree Charlie, Garmin has helped out a lot when we go on trips, especially in the boonies.
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
~~~~ turning "too soon" -- Done that

~~~~ Moving in to the "left turn" lane - only to have to go back into traffic - yeah that too

~~~~ Avoiding traffic - never really had to do that - my Garmin doesn't have that option

~~~~ Using the Topographic maps while hiking (and Yes - I can read and understand maps) - I usually use the map to find the easier way and not the steepest hills Smile Smile

One thing you guys left out - with the fold-able maps, if used incorrectly, they can block your vision out of the passenger side, while the better half is studying it Smile

Yes, the Garmin has tried to have me turn on to railroad tracks that were right next to a street named "Station Road". The station was a block away on the road, but the GPSr was trying to get me there faster Smile

Of course, as I crossed the tracks, the "arrow" told me to turn safely onto the road Smile

My mother told us a story of her and my dad navigating to the shore. He got really upset with her when they missed a turn and she said that the next road was a half mile away.... She didn't mention that the "road" was BLUE!!!!

As they approached the road (bridge over the creek) he realized what she did Big Grin Big Grin
The next "real road" was another 2 miles away Smile Awwww Wellllll Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
ngauger Wrote:~~~~ turning "too soon" -- Done that...
It is very important to look at the map and check GPS is setup correct (how many "main street" do exist in the LA area?) and while driving it is providing suggestion only. I am in command decide based on the traffic rules and situation what is actually done.
There are thousands of story of dump drivers the exchanged their brain with the GPS. The result is at least funny but sometimes fatal.
Reinhard
the main thing that happens with Garmin and I've talked to other owners that have the same issues.. the maps zoom in as you are approaching a turn. If you don't "see" it zoom, you think the turn is closer than it really is.. Eek

But yeah, if you aren't careful, you start trusting it too much. A woman about 2 years ago drove right on to the tracks Sad She was fine.. there was no train coming and the authorities notified the railroad and the car was safely towed off the tracks.....
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

We use a Garmin for some road trips. It usually works well. The woman's voice gets a little petulent though when we exit off to a rest stop and then maybe have to do a lot of turns in the parking lot. After saying "recalculating" for the fifth time I get the impression she wants to slap me. Smile

I once drove with a friend who was navigating by map for me and told me that a turn we wanted was coming up. I argued with him about it. To prove his point he showed me a line with cross hatching on it. Not sure my car wheels had the correct gauge for those tracks. Misngth

I used to go on orienteering excusrions as a Boy Scout with a compass and a topographical map. We had to find stations (not much more than a post with a small box) that had hole punches to make unique marks on a ticket to prove we made it to each. That was fun...sort of primitive geocaching I guess.
Ralph Wrote:I used to go on orienteering excusrions as a Boy Scout with a compass and a topographical map. We had to find stations (not much more than a post with a small box) that had hole punches to make unique marks on a ticket to prove we made it to each. That was fun...sort of primitive geocaching I guess.
Yup - That's how I learned to read maps and use a compass... I have found 4 geocaches using only orienteering and Google satellite view. I've found 6 others by using Google street view Smile Smile It's even more rewarding not using the GPSr to find them Smile Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

I recently restarted my old hobby of collecting rocks and minerals. I've been trying to track down native elements (gold, Carbon, etc).

So far I have : Gold, silver, copper, Sulfur, Silicon, Iron/Nickel (pure iron just doesn't happen), and Carbon (diamond). All are in their "natural state",

I've also got quite a few cyrstals and fossils. I hadn't bothered much with collecting these things until I recently, since most of the stores I knew bout had closed shop years ago. However, there apparently was an impressive store selling these things near me (Gary's Rock and Gem Garden, Route 70 in Cherry Hill, NJ), which sells some nice ones.

Right now, I'm in the process of acquiring a pallasite, which is a metorite with crystals in it.

I also like to build model airplanes, but I never seem to get around to it. I still have a huge B36 Peacemaker to assemble, as well as 2 A10s and a few others. I'm afraid to get started on it because I don't know where I'll put it.

i don't know If i'd count video games as a hobby though. What defines a "hobby"?
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
ezdays Wrote:The only downside to that is you need to know where you are in the first place, then find that spot on the paper you're holding. Misngth Now with GPS, when you turn it on, there's a little pointer thingy that does that work for you. 2285_

Big Grin Big Grin That is what a Sextant, and an accurate time piece ( Chronometer ) are for. . . and, the unfortunate fact that the GPS Satellites are susceptible to burnout from Solar activity, and there are no "Landmarks" at Sea, there are still Sextants, Chronometers, Paper Charts, and people who still know how to use them, on every ship at sea. ( and some boats ) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh, - - - and the term "Shoot the Stars", does NOT mean terminating celebrities with firearms. Eek 357 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!