Scrap transloading!!
Here is a couple of pic's of a short line near me . They have no industry left so they transload in ther small yard , They are transload shredded scrap from gondolas into 20' containers using a container tilter & here's a tilter I been working on built out of some scrap plastic

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice mock up Thumbsup

What a painful process, reminds me of digging to the bottom of a crackerjack box
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
That is a weird transload operation.

I assume the scrap is being exported?
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
A couple of questions, if you don't mind

1, Is this being loaded into or from, the container?
2, How is the tilting mech powered?
3, How do they get the container onto a truck?
4, Do you have, or can you get, any more photos of the operation? - a side on view, if possible, would be great!May be worth asking nicely - amazing how often the answer is "yes" if you explain why you are asking.

Thanks for posting this - it has good possibilities for a small facility
Best
Jack
There are 2 loaded gondolas next to the truck they take the shredded scrap out of the gondolas & load it in the containers this operation is a couple of miles from the port. The machine is called a container tilter (google it) it lifts the container off the trailer , tilts it & opens the doors buts it back. One reason why they are loading these containers here is the Ports are uionized which means more $$$$ & rules this is away around it . Here is them bring in some loaded gons

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks for that - some interesting stuff via Google - Images ,and videos
Anything in or out of my "shipyard" ( Sag Harbor Shipbuilding & DryDock Co. ), by rail, is done by the Yard's 3' gauge line.
After seeing this 20' container loading, I'll have to build an "unloading " version for the containers of scrap iron and steel the Shipyard will use in its foundries. I guess it's time to sit down and build some 3' gauge "Container Cars" to haul those loads.
2285_ 2285_ another "project" Eek Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

Big Grin Big Grin I'll have to take this into consideration for a Big Blue 2013 Get Off Your Duff Challenge !!!! Big Grin Big Grin

http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic...=37&t=6381
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Kamerad47, where is this process being done? Always curious to see these things in real.
This is cool, very different. Nice build.
It is the New York & Greenwood Lake RR in Passaic NJ, They have no more industry they have a yard were they transload , but the most interesting part of this RR is that they have to street running right down the middle of Monroe st. for a 1/2 a mile to get to the NJT/NS interchange I live real close to it. Hear is a pic of street running

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm sorry but I have to ask, if they don't seen the big ol loco, what makes someone think they will see the guy with the little red flag?

Great thread and an interesting concept

ratled
Modleing the Jefferson Branch in HO  on the Southern Pacific
ratled Wrote:I'm sorry but I have to ask, if they don't seen the big ol loco, what makes someone think they will see the guy with the little red flag?

Great thread and an interesting concept

ratled

I suspect its one of those foolish city or state regulations.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
ratled Wrote:I'm sorry but I have to ask, if they don't seen the big ol loco, what makes someone think they will see the guy with the little red flag?
Great thread and an interesting concept ratled

Answer simple. is just like government .
One never pays attention - - - unless is raising someone, the Red Flag !!! :o :o 357 357 357

Stopped in to the local Hobby Shop yesterday to get parts for the "Duff Challenge". Found another 20' container.

I'll have to get all the ones I have, painted, and lettered for the Shipyard, and then start building 3' gauge "container cars".
8-) 8-) Big Grin
:oops: :oops: Uhh, after the "Duff Challenge" is over and done. Confusedhock: Wink Smile
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
All I can tell you that's the way they always do it with the flag man in front ! I can tell you I have see it go down the street many times & one thing that happens every time is the people in the cars panic!!!! when the see a train in the middle of the road, they stop there cars like a monster is coming at them , they have to wave them out of the way!!
kamerad47 Wrote:when the see a train in the middle of the road, they stop there cars like a monster is coming at them , they have to wave them out of the way!!

These drivers are probably having an internal conflict. "Do I get the _______out of the way, or do I stop texting ? Eek

Do I really have to stop texting ?? Confusedhock: Icon_lol Icon_twisted Smile

I will probably have to enclose my layout in an RF shield. I'm getting tired of repairing / replacing all those scale automobiles, and LPB's Icon_twisted Icon_twisted Big Grin