Scrap transloading!!
Since it is too darn cold to be out in the garage, I'm considering a small scrap and transloading micro. So I've been converting a Norscot Excavator into one with a hydraulic shear attachment like this

and this is the result - please excuse the girder colour

That's great! How did you make it?
Basically I started off by drawing the "dinosaur" head, following the photo, roughly to the size I wanted it. I thenn overlaid it with tracing paper and made 5 small copies with the shape of each layer and transfered them to plasticard (actually the inside of a scrap fridge door! [Waste not, want not!]), and cut and filed them to shape. The layers were stuck on top of each other, then more filing and trimming ( I have only just noticed that the top blade on mine should have been the top pair of "Anvils", and the blade should have been at the bottom! Still, it looks OK!). I cut the bucket off the Norscot arm with a junior hacksaw, and smoothed the end with a file, then epoxied half a press-stud (the bit with the centre sticking out and a flat back) to the end of the arm. I drilled a hole in the rear of the "head" to accept the end of the piece with the "gripping bits" and epoxied that into place. Leave for 24 hours to set solid, and paint. The round "bolt/pivot units" are very thin slices from an aerosol oiling tube placed onto a tiny dab of liquid glue, before painting - I used "Revell Contacta Professional" throughout, simply because I had it in stock. Note that the tube is made of some "odd" plastic so the "bond" is less good than it could be., Because the head is attached with the press-stud it is rotatable and posable to some degree, although the jaws on this are "fixed" with the girder being filed, and trimmed, to fit. It would be possible to fit "hydraulic hoses" from mono-filament fishing line - but I went with the "3-foot" rule and didn't bother,
Hope that helps - it certainly gives a "different" model
Wow! Nicely done!
Cheers

Innovative model work Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Skillfully accomplished Thumbsup Thumbsup

Cheers Cheers Cheers
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Thank you, kind Sirs! Your views are much appreciated.
Here is part of my short line , It's still a work in progess . I watch the NYGL do this , about 10-12 containers for 1 gondola, they use a orange peel grapple & a magnet to load ,check out the 315 look at the small red box near the side that is the magnet genarator

Attached Files Image(s)

Good idea with the magnet on the 315, Kamerad. Had 2 40' containers wiyh opening doors arrive as kits yesterday, and have cut the first down to 20' - another one still to do
Good idea withn the magnet on the 315, Kamerad - Postie bought me two kits of 40' containers with opening doors, yesterday - the first has been chopped to a 20 footer - another to do!
Sick build, turned out awesome. That scrap operation looks good.
I've been building my containers with this http://www.igshansa.de/igsdownload.html & cut it out & glue it to pieces of cereal boxes to stiffen them up
I'm working - very slowly (too cold to be out in the garage) on a small project of a transloading facility, and seeing some photos on this forum of scrap being off-loaded by a grab crane from gondolas into 20' containers for export, made me think that this was yet another "industry" that could be added to the basic concept. They can be tilted to 90° but it becomes difficult to model one in that position, so I went for 45° of tilt - build is finished and being left to "set solidly" proir to painting. The container is a cut-down one from a kit obtained from Germany - the rest is plastruct and scratched from the scrap box

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice-very nice.. Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Awesome built Jack... What's the project layout that will house this little gem?

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Very well done!
Reinhard