Scrap transloading!!
You should be very pleased with it! It turned out great! Thumbsup

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Here is a couple of things I've been working on in the last couple of weeks, New excavator , skid-steer truck & trailer. This part is a basic ingnook this track is for scrap transloading the 2nd track is the Building in the corner of the picture is the C&D building (mockup) 3 track is car storage for C&D gons & scrap gons A work in progress

Attached Files Image(s)

wow !!!!! Worship Worship great work !!! Thumbsup Cheers
greeting from the blade city Solingen / gruß aus der Klingenstadt Solingen

Harry

Scale Z and N
Like the progress, keep it up!
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
That is looking really good - very well done
kamerad47 Wrote:Is it something I'm not see But, are they not loading wheat or grain into the containers from covered hoppers ???????

A friend on another forum has paid a visit to Western Transloading and got me information and photos
This is the email he sent me about what they do -

I went round Western Transloading this afternoon. I've got quite a few photos that I hope you find useful/interesting, and I'll send them to you soon (hopefully some later this evening), but I also want to write down for you what I remember from my conducted tour of the site.

Their business is re-packing crops for export from the port of Vancouver. Nothing leaving their yard stays in Canada. They describe what they do as one of three operations - bulk to bulk, bulk to bag, or bag to bag.

Up until recently, they did not deal with wheat (that surprised me). They dealt almost exclusively with pulses - lentils, peas, beans etc. That's still the large majority of what they handle. They are getting some wheat now, since the Canadian Wheat Board was changed from a monopoly marketing board to a purely advisory body. Today, they were handling brown lentils. They consider their 'customers' to be the organisations shipping the crops to them.

'Bulk to bulk' is the process that happens around the shed that's most obvious in views of the site. The crop arrives in covered hoppers. The Southern Railway of BC (SRY) delivers the cars to Western Transloading from the New Westminster yards. They have been brought there, usually from the Canadian Prairies, by either CP or CN. Western Transloading take the crop from the car and load it into 20 foot containers for shipping.

'Bulk to bag' takes crop out of the cars and loads it into 50 kilo bags. These bags are then packed into 20 foot containers and shipped. It saves a bagging operation somewhere later in the chain. Sorry - this was the first thing I was shown today, and I was still trying to get my bearings, so I'm not sure how the crop gets into the hopper for filling the bags - it's some distance from the unloading shed.

'Bag to bag' is what it says. The crop is shipped, bagged, in 40 foot containers by rail to the Vancouver area. These are unloaded from the train cars and trucked to Western Transloading, who repack the bags from the 40 foot container into 20 foot ones for export.

They can handle about 13 covered hoppers per day 'bulk to bulk' into about 62 containers. With the 'bulk to bag' and 'bag to bag' work, they can output a maximum of about 100 20 foot containers a day. But it sounds as if they average about half that - I was told they do about 10 - 12,000 20 foot container equivalents per year.

SRY sometimes push the hoppers through the unloading shed into the yard; sometimes they leave them outside. If they leave them outside, Western Transloading push them in, one at a time, using a trackmobile. To move them for unloading, they winch them through the unloading shed, back out towards the SRY tracks. Western Transloading laid their own tracks in the yard.

All the loaded 20 foot containers are trucked out of Western Transloading to the docks for loading onto ships.
One question; How does a container get off the trailer skeleton onto the container tilter and then back onto a trailer skeleton?

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Mr Fixit - The answer to your question is here
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hCEqSyytbw">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hCEqSyytbw</a><!-- m -->
Photos of the Western Transloading operation are here
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69522-in-the-time-honoured-words-of-rolf-harris/#entry997900">http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ntry997900</a><!-- m -->
Jack,

I was wondering if you were going to post a link to that post on the other site. There is some great information to be gained from that post and photos. I especially liked the info/pictures of the winch used to move the cars for unloading. Also, the trackmobile is nothing more than a standard “skid steer” that has been modified with track wheels and a coupler. It’s a John Deer #270 to be exact. It should be very easy to model (I need to look into HO scale Bobcat/skid steer).

Thanks for posting the link. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Mark
Thanks ST - I did have a wonder about a skid steer HO bobcat with the bucket removed and a coupler fitted, with some N
gauge wheels set to HO gauge spacing - and then a boxcar shell fitted to an Athearn RDC cut down chassis, with a permanent coupling between the two

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.enginehouseservices.com/products/BOBCAT-SKID-STEER-LOADER-_-CONSTRUCTION-_-HO-Scale.html">http://www.enginehouseservices.com/prod ... Scale.html</a><!-- m -->
..... and then there were two!

I built mine out of an old plastic A/C grate & the white round thing with 3 legs is from a pizza box it stops the top from crushing the pizza & some wire . The only commercial bought plastic is 2 walters containers that I cut the doors off & split them & glue them back on. Where I see them load the container the container is straight up , I did the grain loader at 45" angle.

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks as though you have some useful bits in your food containers - we occassionally get some good quality metal ones, and some bottle tops, and some plastic coffee stirers, but that is about it - Currently looking for something to make the grain loader framework - with not a lot of success - how did you do yours?
The video was a very interesting link shortliner. Thanks I now understand how it works in the real world.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More