Lumber Mill Structure question
The area that I model, PNW, is heavily occupied by lumber mills. As I try to learn more about the industries I model I keep seeing one type of structure I can't find any info on. I've seen this A frame side supported structure in several Mill such as in this photo I took at the Roseburg mill in Weed CA

[Image: th_DSC01633.jpg]

Or like in this picture of the Pacific Lumber Company near Eureka, CA
[Image: PalcoBackdrop.jpg]

Why this type of construction?
These are all very long structures, what do they do inside? I am assuming a milling facility?
Anything else that you may know about these and care to share?

Thanks
Steve
Modleing the Jefferson Branch in HO  on the Southern Pacific
I am modeling the large Brooks Scanlon mill in Bend Oregon. They had a large struture like this and it is was the crane shed. Many mills that had drying kilns would have large indoor loading and storage sheds. It would be a waste once you spend the time and money to dry the wood to stick it outside to get wet. I have seen some mills that have built large sorters or stackers in these large buildings to protect the equipment also.
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
mountaingoatgreg Wrote:I am modeling the large Brooks Scanlon mill in Bend Oregon. They had a large struture like this and it is was the crane shed. Many mills that had drying kilns would have large indoor loading and storage sheds. It would be a waste once you spend the time and money to dry the wood to stick it outside to get wet. I have seen some mills that have built large sorters or stackers in these large buildings to protect the equipment also.

It's also meant as a pollution deterrent too, back when I worked in a mill in california I swear if wood dust floated out to a car on the street we were reported Nope
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.