Home made "thingie"
Actually , the Thingie" has a name --- rotary table. I saw a big one in a machine shop once , it was being used to drill a circle of holes in a gear. I thought , That's handy , a miniature one would be neat for modeling! A short time later while at an "auto recyclers" ( JUNKYARD!), I saw a window regulator from some kind of foreign car. A bit of inspection , revealed that the worm gear drive had a ratio that would adapt very well to being able to easily create a" degree wheel" for exact rotation measurment.
At last I was going to have my rotary table. Disasembley of the motor allowed me to considerably shorten the armature leaving the gearing and bearings intact, the brass trim around the motor housing hides the seam. It is mounted on a couple pieces of scrap aluminum ,one with a 90 degree angle to make it mountable on a lathe/mill bed. The Table it self is a cut down and remachined piston from a lawn mower motor ( snagged that for free in the junk yard) the window regulator cost me 4 bucks!You can see where the screws to hold it on are , under the 25 cent piece ion the table, are 4 tapped holes for hold downs for the piece to be machined. The degree wheel on the crank is made of a brass cup type freeze plug, the handle is a cupboard knob with a piece of a fluted towel bar for trim, the checkered crank knob was cut from a broken miniature screwdriver. With the degree markings on both surfaces the table can be moved in 1 degree increments with perfect precision. I made this about 7 years ago and really like it , however , I have never found anything to use it for !! Never thought about it that when engineering it!! Rats!!!

Instant glue ? ---- SOLDER ---- NOW THATS INSTANT!