Freight Shed
and how do you know it arrived in a baggage/express car if the car was long gone when your grandparents picked it up?
-----------------------------
Maybe because at that time he was a fireman for the PRR and knew how things worked? Also in Columbus REA shipments went to the REA building for unloading and pickup since it was usually in REA cars.PRR also had X29(?) boxcars assigned to express service.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
sailormatlac Wrote:Did this kind of seemingly irrational travel pattern happened when parcels were handled by trains?
Matt

Nope Nope only when handled by "Humans". Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:
sailormatlac Wrote:Did this kind of seemingly irrational travel pattern happened when parcels were handled by trains?
Matt

Nope Nope only when handled by "Humans". Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Oh! these pesky little things! Icon_lol

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
All that talk remembers me that parcel I once tracked. It went from New York to Texas then back to Montreal and Quebec City... Freight air cargo is sometimes puzzling but I guess it works. Did this kind of seemingly irrational travel pattern happened when parcels were handled by trains?

Matt
-----------------------
Yes..Not only parcells but,loaded cars as well and sadly it still happens with computer routing.

PRR lost a 40' boxcar loaded with beer in '62..It showed up in '74 at a scrap yard..The car was bad ordered and spotted on the shops storage track as a empty and was never repaired thanks to a written order..Store unservicable-pending scrap. :o Wallbang Nobody bothered to check the dead line or the shop's paper work since the car was reported as "enroute".
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Wasn't it reported that certain locomotives were delivered from a plant south of Lake Erie to a RR in Chicago with a 2-week delivery time? And they managed to get routed through places like Boston and New York?
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:Wasn't it reported that certain locomotives were delivered from a plant south of Lake Erie to a RR in Chicago with a 2-week delivery time? And they managed to get routed through places like Boston and New York?

IIRC that was in Trains Magazine..

Maybe the hauling road wanted to give them a shake down test run.. 357
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:PRR lost a 40' boxcar loaded with beer in '62..It showed up in '74 at a scrap yard..The car was bad ordered and spotted on the shops storage track as a empty and was never repaired thanks to a written order..Store unservicable-pending scrap. :o Wallbang Nobody bothered to check the dead line or the shop's paper work since the car was reported as "enroute".
Not quite that bad, but one morning I opened an "empty" box car to see if it was clean and had enough DF bars in it to use for whiskey loading and guess what? It was full of brand new GE refrigerators! Apparently pulled from GE's Appliance Park in Louisville by mistake. You should have heard the Louisville Terminal Superintendent yell when I told him about it! Seems that the car had already been in Osborne Yard as an empty for over a week before it was sent to Frankfort!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Ed,I suspect somebody got in deep kimichi over that..

When I worked in a warehouse I loaded a trailer for a drop/hook and our spotter pulled the trailer and accidently placed the trailer in the empty lot..The trailer sit there for over a week before it was discovered..

The shipping manager "fired" the trucking company for breech of contract and wanted to fire the spotter( a 27 year employee) on the spot but,she had to follow the three step disciplinary procedure.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry