59th and Rust
Hi,i'm new to this forum (so please be gentle!!),i'm in the process of finishing my new layout "59th and Rust"and thought i would share it with you.
The layout is 14' x18",based on a rundown urban railroad somewhere in North East of America,the period model is 1965-76-ish, it isn't based on any one railroad,i can chose from 7 different one's,which are LIRR,NYC,PRR,CNJ,PC,ERIE and CONRAIL,stock is a mixture of railroads,mainly eastern roads.

i've included the track plan,don't know how you do things on here,do i start with the construction from the start to where i am now or photo's of the finished layout??

Will try and sort some photo's out for my next post.

Ray
Hi Jack, did find your first two photos in the other discussion. Would you mind to tell us something about how you made the building fronts. They look good and scratch made. That is a topic I am very interested in.
Reinhard
I did a little searching and found the pictures Reinhard was referrng to. I greatly admire your background buildings and your use of small details (junk, tires, etc) in the scenes. Thumbsup
long island jack Wrote:i've included the track plan,don't know how you do things on here,do i start with the construction from the start to where i am now or photo's of the finished layout??

Will try and sort some photo's out for my next post.

Ray

Oh, Ray, feel free to post about your layout any way you'd like. We'd just like to see more of it! And...we LOVE photos! Thumbsup

Ralph
:needpics:

Yep, what Ralph said. Your previous photos made us eager for more!

Icon_lol

:mrgreen:
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
LAJ,

Very nice modeling and composition. Found your photos from the one of the previous posts.

Larry
Right guys here we go (takes a deep breathe)

Once i was happy with the track plan,i started to plan the buildings,making card mock ups first to see what would fit where,then the basic shape was made out of 2mm MDF and 10mm square timber.

Then i fix my cardboard fronts on to see what it was going to look like.

Once i was happy with the result (there was a bit of fine tuning) i transfered the building designs on to 2mm poster board,cut out all window and door openings.
Next thing was to add 1-2mm card for the stone corner pieces and facades,then i got it in my head i wanted fancy bits on the facades (got to stop thinking) now i had to try and figure out how i could do all the different facades i wanted on each building.
To be continued
Ray
You snuck in here very quietly, Ray - welcome, and, provided we don't get snowed in, I'll see you at Glasgow on the Friday with the package
Best
Jack
Very interesting way to build sturdy structures. You give me some ideas. ;-)

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
I've done building mockups before, and I really think this is the best approach to get a scene that flows together well. I wish I had done that more with my current layout, but because my layout is a mountainous terrain, I tended to fit the terrain around the various buildings I had.

Very nice way to start - and since you have already posted a few pics of the finished product, I think most of us will learn much from your approach.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
nachoman Wrote:Very nice way to start - and since you have already posted a few pics of the finished product, I think most of us will learn much from your approach.

Cheers You can never learn enough about this hobby.
OK Now you really have my attention !!! Comparing the first pictures you posted, with these :o :o :o That's a great way to start.

1965 - 76-ish....a lot of the LIRR locos would have had this paint scheme, the '64 "World's Fair" scheme.

( There should be a "Dashing Dan" logo just to the left of the cab on the short hood. All the photos I could find of the "proto" were at an angle that kept the logo hidden by the cab. ) I discovered the error only recently. One of these days, I'll have to add that logo.
Atlas did a pair of RS-1's in that scheme, in HO scale.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Great stuff Ray! Looking forward to more!
So after a bit of head scratching,it was of to my local craft shop (don't under estimate these places) mainly to refresh my stock of card/paper,while strolling around looking for some inspiration,i can across the bargain corner and there laying on one of the shelves was a box of craft scissors 5 for £3.00,just the job.
After a bit of trial and error the best method i found was to draw a straight line across the paper/card ( they didn't like cutting card above .5mm thick) and cut along these with the scissors.

Now it was just a matter of sticking these strips a long the building fasades with PVA,once i was happy with the finished results the fasades and any other stone corner pieces were painted with craft paint.I've taken a couple of photo's of the finished building so you can see the effect.

All the building are done the same way with different style fasades except the large concrete warehouse this was just painted a off white colour.

Next job is to add the brick work.

Ray
long island jack Wrote:....craft scissors ...

A great idea. I am afraid you just started a worldwide raid of our wife's scissor collections... :o
Reinhard