59th and Rust
Hello Ray---you have an outstanding layout and have provided some invaluable explanations on how you created your empire for us "wanna-be" modellers---thanks for sharing and thank you for joining Big Blue
ratled
thats where i went wrong, should have used brown paper,will have to have a go at that.

Managed to get a photo of the NYC local getting ready to head back,just as the sun was setting!!

Only happy to help explain things,they may not be everyones way of doing it,but it's the end result that counts.

Ray
I like the scene's lighting effect and the weathering on that NYC switcher. Defintely provides atmosphere that I find very appealing. Thumbsup
Ray,
Your layout is filthy. It's grimy, it's uninhabitable! I can't even fathom how dirty and repulsive that place is.

It's perfect! Goldth Goldth

I hope to apply this type of modeling to my entire layout. (Except, of course, the headquaters building. Got to keep up the appearance of being prosperous for the board of directors, even as the rest of the railroad rots away) These photos remind me of many of the areas I worked in when I was a trainman. The tracks overgrown with weeds. Abandoned vehicles. There was a place south of Phily where people threw large appliances, tires, shopping carts, cinder blocks, and anything else they could carry, on the tracks... just for the enjoyment of watching us hit them with the locomotive. The debris remained after, it was rarely cleaned up.

I will return to your photos over and over, I am certain, for modeling ideas.

Thank you for posting these photos of your outstanding layout, and welcome to Big Blue!

Dave
-Dave
Thanks everybody for the kind comments.

Dave
It's not so uninhabitable,on the way home from work i caught "Rusty Ray" the local hobo breaking some timber for his fire 357 357

He must be getting ready for his nightly trolley push, to collect tin cans. Now he's definitely filthy and grimy 357 357

Ray
Those details are absolute outstanding!
Reinhard
Thought i'd something on my baseboard construct,the main reason for building this layout is to exhibit it around the UK,so it had to be portable and reasonably light (so 2 men can lift with ease) and fit in the back of my car.
The layout is made up from 4 sections, 2 scenic boards 4' x 20",2 fiddle yard boards 1, 4' X 15"and 1, 2' x 8".These will stand on a L girder frame with legs ( they come to bit and lay flat).

Construction of the boards will be in "the theatre style"more on this later.

The main boards are built using 75mm x 12mm timber(left overs from failed project)

to which 6mm ply was fixed,and 35mm x18mm uprights were added along the back to support the back boards.

Then 35mm x 18mm and 35mm x12mm were glue and screw together to form a L girder,these are attached to the uprights to form the roof,then 2mm MDF is fixed along the back.

Next uprights are added to each end to help support the roof.

Once these were done, 2mm MDF is fixed to the outside of the ends.

More to follow

Ray
Too continue
Next the roof was added, made from 2mm MDF,all baseboards are held together by bullet dowels (for alignment) and one 6mm bolt and t-nut.

The fiddle yard was built next,this is cantilevered to the layout by chains (for home use only ,legs at exhibition).

Holes are then cut for access to the fiddle yard,track was layed in the convetional way on 3mm cork,where the track crosses any baseboard joints,brass screws are added and the track soldered to them,these are cut after the layout was wired and tested.
Lighting was added then all scenery,buildings are added before the front facades are fitted,where the buildings are on each end the facades are made to follow the contours of the buildings.

Everything is given a couple of coats of black satin paint,the "59th and Rust" sign is made to clip on the top,the reason i built it like a theatre is so the veiwing public have to look in to the layout,and concentrate on the small detail without other distractions,it the illusion i'm trying to create.

Ray
All together, great ideas, excellent realisation and a very fine detailing. A wonderful panorama of a small industrial area!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
I'm surprised that the L-girders supporting the ceiling doesn't sag. I'm trying to figure out how you did.

I'd like to reuse this idea of a box to make my basement layout (4 modules).

The final result is excellent and the Street sign is doing a fine job too.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Excellent work! Worship
tetters Wrote:Excellent work! Worship

Cheers Worship Worship Thumbsup Cheers
greeting from the blade city Solingen / gruß aus der Klingenstadt Solingen

Harry

Scale Z and N
Thanks everyone for all the kind remarks.

I don't know what everyone's veiws are on people on layouts,personally i think layouts need people, as long as they look active or fit the scene, your always going to get those people who say everythings to static,better that way than non at all.
I have a few scenes on "59th and Rust" which helps create the illusion.

Adding a new billboard

Helping those lost tourist

Fixing that broken fence

There all small cameo's,but there talking points for the veiwing public (especialy when waiting for the next train to arrive)

Loading the box car

Some scenes can be set up during the exhibition (above photo) in and around the team tracks,so when the people at the exhibition are having there second or third look around, they will see something different (will change them when there's a quiet period,that's the plan anyways)

A busy time on Rust St

Ray
Nicely done Thumbsup I think cameo scenes are very important, especially on exhibition layouts. They bring 'life' into the scene.

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Big Grin Icon_twisted Big Grin Icon_twisted I can see it now !
Your 2014 "get off your duff project" will be: The part of the billboard where the guy on the ladder is working, will get finished.
Your 2015"get off your duff project" will be: The part to the right of that, gets done.
Your 2016"get off your duff project" will be: The last part gets to the half way point.
Your 2017"get off your duff project" will be: The last part gets done>
357 357 357 357 357 357 357 357 357 357 357
And- - - - - - in 2018 ? A new sign gets started ! 357 357 357

Seriously though. . .
I do like the simple scenes with just a few people "doing something". It brings "life" to the layout. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Nicely done !
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!