East Terminal & Newburgh
Very nice! That's a wonderful overhead door!

Map 10B is the Scranton Peninsula. It contained many small industries and large lumber yards, as well as the Erie RR freight house. Across the river to the left is Columbus Road.
Lutz

Like the door, been trying to come up with something like that for a small project i'm planing.

how do you plan to power it,i thought for mine i would use a cheap decoder this will give me finer control of the door(i'm dcc)

how does it slide in the door runners,is there much friction or binding.

Ray
Hello!

[Image: dsc05779svu5n.jpg]
So i went to the attic and grab the building to shot some photos.

[Image: dsc057839fja1.jpg]
The door was a remnant of a Walthers kit. In simple it is only a plastic plate with some engravings on one side. I measured the thickness of the plate and glued different profiles together to form a narrow U-Channel in which the Walthers door can easlily slide up and down. It is not important which form of the profiles you have right at hand, important is the channel. Here the edges of the door were about 1,2mm in thickness and i made a channel of 2mm width to avoid jamming.

[Image: dsc05784edjah.jpg]
The depth of the channel is depending of the width of your door, here i gave about 1mm on each side. Think that cardboard is working as you see in the right corner were a gap has appeared. I have to reglue this corner.
The huge gap below the door is corect. When mounted onto module #1 here will be the paved track and the gap considering the height of it.

[Image: dsc057809au2z.jpg]
The ready mechanism. I replenished this tube glued onto the inside of the door. Due the silicone rubber connection did not run so exact the thread rod beats at every rotation on the door causing a rattling noise. So it is guided and stays quiet.

[Image: dsc05785e6kf7.jpg]
Powering is donne simply by analoge AC or DC.
There are 2 diodes antiparallel wired to the motor.
One of them for the "down" direction is wired to the switch which stops the downward motion by opening the electrical contact and interrupting the current.
The second antiparallel to the stop switch for the upward motion.

[Image: dsc05781xqj7a.jpg]
From each of the switches a wire is leading ro a simple toggle switch (ON - ON).
From the switch to the juice.
The other lead from the juice goes direct to the motor.
So simply by toggling the switch the door opens and closes.
The whole device is cent peanuts.

Control by an decoder will be fine, i am thinking of, but how the safety end stop motion can be realized?

Lutz
Lutz
Thanks for the photo's,they have given me food for thought. Icon_idea Icon_idea

Ray
Hello! Next day, time to report what has happenend ago.

[Image: dsc02326w0qw6.jpg]
Meanwhile i came to an final decision of the configuration of the tracks on modules #1 and #2. Module #1 has no switches and module #2 has indeed 4 switches.
Three of them are Atlas Code Custom Line 83 #8 and one with the black frog is a #6. So all switches on the main are #8's with the excepition of the particular #6 which will be travelled in straight direction on the main.
Time to made thought of a background building. The IHC kit Novelty Ironworks drop my attention. This building with walls made out of random stone seemed me suitable to represent a 1850's foundry plant. Within one of the oldest industrial business in my mythical Cleveland. Long before the railroads appeared. It was founded on the embankement of the Ohio & Erie Canal (not modelled on this layout).
Here like as in the first picture, so it may be looked in the mid-1800's.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://web.ulib.csuohio.edu/SpecColl/canal/">http://web.ulib.csuohio.edu/SpecColl/canal/</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://web.ulib.csuohio.edu/SpecColl/canal/">http://web.ulib.csuohio.edu/SpecColl/canal/</a><!-- m -->
The kit was not build up as intended by the maker as you see. It was cut up to form an background building and after much trying and trials it got this general shape.

[Image: dsc02329grryv.jpg]
Further progress with background blanked out.

[Image: dsc02330gay7a.jpg]
A control photo.

And now it was time for the layout to get it's owm legs.
[Image: dsc02338ock26.jpg]
The X-menbers are from IKEA.

And the first oversight:
[Image: dsc023396xrcr.jpg]

[Image: dsc02340fqr55.jpg]

[Image: dsc02344hdp1v.jpg]
Still yet the tracks are loose.
On module #2 i started to lay cork bed. All the main will be laid on cork and all the spurs will be laid direct onto the ground. The cork was bought in the home depot in sheets. It was much cheaper than prefabricated cork bed, but have the same quality. And cutting into stripes and sheets of suitable measures is easy done with a cutter. Then i glued the bed down with white glue. On particular stretches a slope was formed by cutting 45° stripe from the edges of the cork, but the main sloping was made with the ballast.

[Image: dsc02345ckz9g.jpg]
Nailing down the tracks has begun. This is a photo made to detect how straight, or how crooked Eek the rails are.

[Image: dsc023463xbbk.jpg]
From above position.

[Image: dsc02347snykd.jpg]
From the other side.

Electrics is simple. As this layout will be DCC only all rails are permanently under juice. The only exception are the frogs. They will be juiced by electric switches in accordance of the polarity it the switch is thrown or not.
So all rails were simply wired through to pemanent current.

[Image: dsc02348wdn5.jpg]
On this electrical background i made the first test runs. Here with an Bowser PRR Mike of 1000g ( 35.27oz ; 2.205lb) weight.
The tracks down into the spurs were shimmed with pieces of styrene rods an sheets. Lateron they will disappear complete under the ballast.

[Image: dsc02349zlqe3.jpg]
The gaps of the sleeper were closed by wood ties made out of wood profiles. Squeeze them a little bit to get the right height. I found it simpler and easier made than cutting down plastic ties.
The long sleepers ouf the switches were also made in this manner.

Modules #1 and #2 are now finished with track laying.

Lutz
I hate to direct people away from this board. However your set up reminded me of this thread which I've always though was a creative way someone used a CD player motor / mechanism to use as a garage door opener for a warehouse overhead door. The action starts on page 4.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic...hichpage=4
Great progress Lutz, looking good Thumbsup

Glad the first test run was successful Cheers

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Thank you for the progress. And the test runs were to have be at least sucessful :hey: Wallbang

The next modules, here #4 and #5:
[Image: dsc02350d2qtw.jpg]
Laying tracks and look what it looks alike.

[Image: dsc023518mrb0.jpg]
Or so?

[Image: dsc02352lvo1g.jpg]
Better so?

[Image: dsc02352lvo1g.jpg]
Or better not so dense?

[Image: dsc02353iizy9.jpg]
Trying the other way?

[Image: dsc02354tyl4m.jpg]
???
Don't know, time to put it on the side and make progress on the other end.

[Image: dsc02355lwlkk.jpg]
It was time to make decisions about switch actuating. The Flats are a "Dark Territory", meaning there is no CTC at all and all switches are manual thrown.
So i decided to do also in model.
Here i have drilled through the ground plate and have inserted small aluminium tubes.
All the rail joiners were soldered. Do not allow any chance for current interruption.

[Image: dsc02356b5ad6.jpg]
Then i ballasted modules #1 and #2 and painted the rails and wooden sleeperes rust brown. Yes some areas were overseen and have to be fixed still.

[Image: dsc02357j0ab7.jpg]
The eye of the camera is incorruptible and mercyless. So here i found flaws otherwise never seen in reality.

[Image: dsc023580elsb.jpg]
The top surface of the rails were cleaned up and again test runs were made.
So a progress which consumes the time of several days is written down in one article.

Switch actuating.
So i went down into the cellar and had a look what was stored there on the shelves. Came up with a handful of olde English toggle switches of very traditional pattern.
They were were heavy to toggle because of very strong springs in it. On British cars those switches were mounted on the dashboard and managed the electrical darkness. (I have had driven an MG B for 22 years)

[Image: dsc02360077o.jpg]
So i soldered pieces of 70mm length of 4mm brass rods on the knobs of the switches. Of course the knobs were solid brass, quality of an bygone aera, never seen again in today products. A 2mm bore was made to receipt a brass wire leading towards the (rail) switches.
The el. switches were mounted on an L-channel screwed onto the front of the modules.

[Image: dsc0236297wd.jpg]
That is what actuates the switches.
Simply brass rods.
A pushrod ist actuating by the el. switch.
It connects to a second lever also made out of brass wire which leads through the botton plate, the aluminium tube, and ...

[Image: dsc02593a7pp.jpg]
... that is what you see from above.

Frog juicing.
Was rather simple because that are el. switches.
There are 3 leads:
- left rail to one of the ON-terminals ot the el. switch
- right rail to el. switch to the other ON-terminal
- frog to the middle terminal

N.B. In accordance to Murphy's Laws you have to exchange the two leads to the two ON-terminal for having the correct polarity of the frog depending to the rail switch direction. Allways.

I love to switch the switches by switching the switches Big Grin

Lutz

Edit: Rechtschreibefehler
Schraddel Wrote:.......On British cars those switches were on the dashboard and managed the electrical darkness. (I have driven an MG B for 22 years) ....

Lutz, you have an excellent grasp of the nuances of the English language - I literally laughed out loud at your comment. Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

Wayne
You may be right Wayne, but my English language is really not so good.

One of the Plastruct background buildings catched my eyes:
[Image: dsc0236358bva.jpg]
This is the kit for the sintering plant.
And my planning depending on the integration of the plant was:
- module #3 get a bend on the main line and a switch leading to a spur serving the plant. Further a highway overpass should work as somewhat scenic divider.
- module #4, here the sintering plat will be fixed
- module #5 a further warehouse and a steel and tube dealer

[Image: dsc02364l744.jpg]
On the general plan the track aligment was done in a quick time.
Right the main and the siding (right) which makes here a bend.
Left the switch and thze spur leading to the plant. Here i used a Peco Streamline Code 83 #7 curve switch.
Main and siding are on cork bed while the spur is laid direct on the ground.

[Image: dsc023694iyr6.jpg]
Module #3 ballasted and some shades of green added.

[Image: dsc02365b8zm.jpg]
With module #3 ready to use some further test runs were made.

[Image: dsc02371ymx5e.jpg]
And here the first attempts to greening.

The highway overpass.
[Image: dsc0237991avr.jpg]
Here i made a first mock up out of cardboard; cereal cardboard of course.

[Image: dsc02378v4xj4.jpg]
It was not so the real Mc Coy. Here i have done the mistake to make the slopes too much too steep.

[Image: dsc02380n0z8g.jpg]
More cereal cardboard and a more smooth slope.

[Image: dsc023812xi0.jpg]
One the other side i realized how large the sintering plant will be when built up. So here i planned a retaining wall out of concrete.
And concrete will be the stuff the overpass will be made of.
The truck models will help to find the right proportions. Much modeled overpasses i have seen are really too narrow to allow a two lane traffic.
So the proper seize was found.

On the other end on module #1 there it was necessary to pave the track to have truck acess to the loading ramps.
[Image: dsc023821ibjv.jpg]
I made an underlay of balsa wood and onto a layer of 0,5mm styrene sheet. The railheads are still about 0,5mm above the paving for electrical contact.
With an small ball nose cutter of 1,5mm diameter in a Proxxon (Dremel), guides by an ruler the straight seams were milled. The irregular cracks were milled free hand. Then all was painted somewhat concrete grey.
The seams were then painted by a black permanent marker.

[Image: dsc02388ndyfs.jpg]
In the background the acess to the warehouse with the moveable door was paved with tar. So it was painted all dull black.
Some more green was added by grass mats. These are from Polak, a Czech firm.

[Image: dsc023849nkr.jpg]
And at least some fun must be.

Lutz
Really nice work! All the trackwork seems to smoothly flow in a natural way.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
The paving looks very effective, well done, as does the track work.

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
And now with the sintering plant in mind it was time to to rethink the layout for the tracks on modules #4 and #5 again.

[Image: dsc02389apayo.jpg]
Here modules #3, #4 and #5 are bolted together. In front is module #3 with the highway overpass.
On #4 right the short spur is serving the sintering plant. The plant will occupy nearly the whole lenght of the module #4.
All my modules have the mearures 80cm x 40cm (app. 31.5" x 15.7").
Right the main and siding. On module #5 there must be of course a switch connecting them. And there will be space for two other small industries.

[Image: dsc023915czq9.jpg]
A first approach. On the far end of #5 a street crossing in about 90°? Left of the tracks the building and on right hand a gasoline station?
Especially a gasoline station will be give much details.

[Image: dsc023934ky7k.jpg]
The cork bed was laid. I made a slope by cutting the edges in an angle of app. 45° with a carpet cutter.

[Image: dsc02394x1a30.jpg]
The tracks were laid.

[Image: dsc023950fx3a.jpg]
The spurs were also laid.

[Image: dsc0239840bqy.jpg]
A somewhat airview of module #4. The switch is an Peco Streamline Code 83 #6.

[Image: dsc023971jxy3.jpg]
The same with #5. A Peco #8 switch. The length of the track behind the switch allows even some longer steamers to change tracks.

Then the switch actuators an levers were made and electrical wiring also.

And the the big moment.
All five modules were the first time bolted together:

[Image: dsc02400xvym5.jpg]

[Image: dsc024016ebqd.jpg]

[Image: dsc02402lyxve.jpg]
Intensive test rund were made. Switching done, flaws corrected and somethin rightened.
At least all was working.

[Image: dsc02406adl7f.jpg]
One of the corection has to be done in the paved segment. The styreme sheets tends to vault up. Additional glueing solved the problem.

[Image: dsc02408a7ax.jpg]
Another flaw was the sole Peco Insulfrog switch. Here steamers with blind drivers were tending to cause short circuits. The flangeless wheel rims were bridging the insulation gaps of the Insulfrog.
So i decided to rebuilt the frog in situ to a live frog. For this the the plastic frog was complete removed by milling and replaced by an new frog soldered out of brass rectangular profiles. The all the wiring was one to convert it to a live juiced frog. So that problem was solved.

Some days with pure playing with trains followed.

Lutz
Looking great! Forgive me for digressing... is that a PRR A5s 0-4-0 with lighted classification lamps I see? I'd like to see more about it...

Dave
-Dave
Dave!

Never mind, this article will be degressing a bit too.
Sorry, the classification lamps are not (yet) lighted. It is only the flash mirroring in the jewels.

[Image: dsc01198umzu.jpg]

[Image: dsc01243hjchj.jpg]

[Image: dsc01241s3cub.jpg]
The whole story you can read here: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4297">viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4297</a><!-- l -->
As three of the pictures have disappeared there and with no possiblity to edit the thread i repeat them here as not quite OT. Not qiute off topic because my layout is built for those little critters.

Lighted marker- and classification lights will be the next challenge for me. If they habe an plastic case, there it might be possible to insert one of those tiny Type 0402 LEDs. But when you habe brass casings ...
I am working on this problem.

Back to the E T & N.

[Image: dsc02421nclm6.jpg]

[Image: dsc02422aozyf.jpg]
Making switch stands. Here i modified Details West switch stands to working condition.
The pewter casting was drilled the entire lenght. A 0.5mm bronze wire was inserted. On the lower end it was bend 90° to made a lever and a loop was formed on the end of it.
The lenght of the lever is depending on the travel the points will make when they are thrown. So you get the 90° movement you want.
A connection rod was formed to link switch and stand. On one end it is linked in the bore of the throw bar and the other end linked in the loop of the stand lever.
Then the indicator table was soldered on.

[Image: dsc02428irxp8.jpg]
Meanwhile i made the decision to put an additional industrie on module #5.
No gas station, no street and no house as showed before.
Here a steel tube and wire business will be settled down.
The spur is brancing out into two tracks by an Atlas #4 switch. Yes i know, bad, bad #4 switch, but common on private property.

[Image: dsc02429e5qp.jpg]
To connect the spur a Peco #8 was inserted into the siding on module #4.
Also the ballasting job was completed now.

Then a big break come.

[OT]
The layout had to be set aside until this baby here was able to run:
[Image: dsc025792lz2d.jpg]
[Image: dsc016937vre7.jpg]
[Image: dsc01967vtp4n.jpg]
[Image: dsc053754aps1.jpg]
[Image: dsc053734ju6h.jpg]
[Image: dsc02580b0le1.jpg]
Only some pictures. I was responsible for the whole drive train which in not the standard drive train, but a complete new development.
If you are intested on the whole story: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://waggonfabrik.eu/">http://waggonfabrik.eu/</a><!-- m -->
Sorry in German only. Go to "Logbuch" and "zu den älteren Logbucheinträgen" scroll down to the bottom to read the first article.
[/OT]

But sometimes, inserted between other duties, i have had time to do some minor work on the layout:
[Image: dsc02592kr05.jpg]
That is the lever for the #4 switch on module #5.
Left the pushrod coming from the el. switch. It is linked in a long balancing lever. This balancing lever then connects to the lever goint through the ground plate to the rail switch. Because i have soldered with a toch the wood is burned a little bit.

Lutz