Desktop 3D printers
Mike Kieran Wrote:CBS Sunday Morning just did a piece on 3D printers. They're talking about using them for replicating human tissue. Amazing!!!

Yeah there are many applactions out there for this 30 odd some year old technology it is just now news worthy being the cost and reliability has recently improved greatly. There is a lot of materials and processes out there for 3D printing. $2199.00 for a home office desktop version is not much worse than getting a Mac computer price wise.
Mike Kieran Wrote:CBS Sunday Morning just did a piece on 3D printers. They're talking about using them for replicating human tissue. Amazing!!!

Yeah, I saw that, something about making an ear using cells that they grew in the lab to help a young girl without one. I wish that we had both a 3D printer and a 3D router when we had our business. Both would have paid for themselves in no time and gave our customers a better product at a lower cost. Since we were in the custom product business, a lot of things had to be made by hand.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Soon to be available at Staple's
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/03/technology/innovation/staples-3d-printer/index.html?source=cnn_bin">http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/03/technol ... ce=cnn_bin</a><!-- m -->
Charlie
Wow 3D printers from Staples 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ I still want the Makerbot Replicator 2 .
Just downloaded the May issue of Model Railroad Hobbyist and there is a 26 page article on the different types or trucks and their cappacities and eras that they where used in. That will help in a big way as far as trucks go design wise. Also may be getting the printer ordered soon just will have to cut spending in other areas for awhile Icon_lol
Well I done and did it,.....................................................................................

I placed an order for a Makerbot Replicator 2 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_

Should be here in a week, pocket empty and wallet is hurting but I have a 3D printer on the way. Total cost Unit $2199.00 , shipping $20.70 , and insurance $9.00, total $2228.70 .
Good news,

3D printer order has been processed packed and shipped may be here by next Wednesday latest. 2285_ 2285_ 2285_
AF350 Wrote:Good news,

3D printer order has been processed packed and shipped may be here by next Wednesday latest. 2285_ 2285_ 2285_

That has to be exciting news. What's your first 3D project going to be?
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ezdays Wrote:
AF350 Wrote:Good news,

That has to be exciting news. What's your first 3D project going to be?

The first thing will be the calibration print, there is some very minor assembly envolved and some calibration but 99.9% is ready to go. One of the test prints is of a chain a few links long, I read most of the manual before I even ordered one they are free to download as a pdf file.
I would have made this as part of the previous post but some one was at the front door.

First thing I may do is print a boxcar side less revits(untill I am up to speed detail wise)I have been wanting to try micro marks revit decals thay are decale film with tiny lumps of plastic in a realistic revit pattern anyway. Once I get the hang of drawing with sketchup and a few other programs I have been playing with I will design box car sides, floors, roof, ends and doors in a variaty of styles. I thought about doing different styles of trucks but that would to me be a more advanced project for later on. And then there is thingaverse a gallery of downloadable designs by other 3D printer owners most of them free as long as you do not sell someone elses hard work passed off as your own. On thingaverse the prints range from toys, models, robotic parts to printable replacement parts for an older open source 3D printer called Rep Rap if you can draw it you can print it. Over hangs can be delt with by what they call slicing the object into multiple printable parts that can be glued together to complete the object. I seen someone do a milineum falcon in this way and it was detailed prety nice...may download it and print one for myself Icon_lol
Update the 3D printer is now sitting in Grove city and will be delivered this comming Monday 2285_ 2285_ 2285_

Hope to be able to set it up and play with it between yard work and job hunting Smile
Well, I spent most of my day setting up and playing with the 3D printer the skull took 4 hours and 38 min to print. Icon_lol

Here is what I have done so far, look for pics of train box car sides to come by this week end.

Completed skull pic.

As you can see there is a bit of clean up on the printed objects that needs to be done, the printer has 3 resolution settings this one was set to medium, the slower the print speed the better the resolution.
Looks fun to play around with. The discussions about 3-d printers have certainly gotten me interested.

Since you mentioned you were looking for a job - have you thought about somehow using this new device to make a little money on the side?
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->