A bit of movie model magic
Just got in from a day at the Harry Potter Studio tour near London in the UK, I only live half an hour up the road and my girlfriend is a big fan, the whole thing is really interesting and great glimpse into how movies are made, the tour ends with the model that was made of The Hogwarts Castle, this a 1/24 scale model. I can't really explain the shear size of the thing, it is amazing, here are some rather poor shots taken on my phone.

It fills almost an entire sound stage.

If one person had built this they said it would have taken 75 years!

[Image: 20130225_180026_zpse8bbfe72.jpg]
[Image: 20130225_175254_zps87d866a5.jpg]
[Image: 20130225_180241_zps956969d9.jpg]
[Image: 20130225_175744_zps90dcec89.jpg]
Wow, that's about as impressive as one can get. I can't imagine the cost to build that, especially at that scale. It's good that they didn't destroy it after the filming, it would be a pity if they did, like so many other movie props. Most of us would never get a chance to see this, so thanks for the tour. Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
They have kept everything form the movie, all the sets, the props the whole lot. Some of the animatronics that's where on display (and working) where incredible. On of the creatures, a cross between a horse and an eagle was on display and working, it is covered in feathers, each of which had to be placed and glued by hand! I now understand the cost behind movies like this, the workmanship is something to be in awe of.
I can tell you how large it is!!! it's "G" scale!!!! Icon_lol
That's Beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing it!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
What no dementors? Confusedhock:

That does look big..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Can I have the rocks for my mountains? [Image: ogre_zps1cd40dfb.gif]

BTW - knock out the kinks and that would be a decent railroad bridge!
MountainMan Wrote:Can I have the rocks for my mountains?
BTW - knock out the kinks and that would be a decent railroad bridge!

357 357 Just a simple flick of the wand, and a *straightening spell*, would take care of those "kinks" 357 357
( My Granddaughters gave me the 7 book set of "Harry Potter", yeah, I am a fan )

Sad Confusedhock: wish that could be used on my trackwork. Sad Icon_twisted Big Grin

The model of "Helm's Deep" used in the filming of "The Lord of The Rings"- "The Two Towers", was another fantastic piece of *model work* scenery.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:The model of "Helm's Deep" used in the filming of "The Lord of The Rings"- "The Two Towers", was another fantastic piece of *model work* scenery.

Yeah - that was amazing!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???