Atlas switcher , burnt smell
I've had my locos stored in their boxes , and in a sealed plastic tub for a number of years ....they haven't been run in atleast 5 years . I pulled out an Atlas switcher , Digitrax equipped , fired it up ....light came on immediately and I ran the loco back and forth , total about 20 feet . I noticed a burnt odor . Should this be alarming ? I haven't lubricated anything , yet .

Thanks , T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Was it an ozone type odor or the type you get when you let the smoke out? Sometimes when an electric motor sits they will have an ozone odor from brush arcing, but in any event I would tear it down and make sure everything is free, clean and lubed, and no wires anywhere they shouldn't be.
Charlie
Charlie , I'm not sure what you mean about "ozone smell " , but it had a burnt metallic odor as opposed to smoke . I've never lubricated a loco ....heard lots of bad things about over-lubricating ....would I use a light oil or maybe a graphite material ?

T
Labelle 108 Is a light weight plastic compatible oil <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Labelle-108-1-2-fl-oz-Multi-Purpose-Oil-Light-plas-p/lab-108.htm">http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Labelle- ... ab-108.htm</a><!-- m -->
You only need to buy it once if you don't lose it or spill it.
I put it in an insulin syringe and you can really control the flow. a tiny tiny drop is all you need and these will reach most anywhere, just don't stick yourself. Goldth
(I also use them for applying lacquer thinner to polystyrene which I use for glue)

an Ozone smell is what you smell around an arc of electric.
Ozone is the smell of old Lionel trains running.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:Ozone is the smell of old Lionel trains running.
Great description David. Goldth That old spark from the roller on the rail.
Charlie
....and American Flyers.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
"Ozone is the smell of old Lionel trains running."

And sometimes new ones ! Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
But they ran and ran.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Now that you mention it , my old 3 rail Marx did smell like that . I must have put a million laps on that puppy over the years . Ran perfectly .

Oh , I got my Spectrum , GE 44 ton out last night ....been stored a long time , ran great , no smell .....need to clean the track , though .

T
If it keeps running, it's almost certainly not smoked, but you should lube it.
I think I have some light oil in the trainroom ....somewhere . Maybe I'll luck out on it being OK to use .

T
I would go ahead and stick with LaBelle 108, because light oil might damage any plastic gears or other parts.
OK , boys and girls , what about Woodland Scenics HOB-E-LUBE ??? I've got it on hand ....."HL653" whatever that means ..." ultra light oil for small precision parts" ...." model railroad valve gear , motor bearings and wicks " ....and it sez , " safe for plastics and paints" . Ever used this stuff ??? Eek

T
TeeJay, I have never used it but if it is safe for plastics you are OK
Charlie