Switching layout - linear or L-shape?
22tango,

I used 18" hollow core doors for my shelf, but then built them out to 22" with 1 x 3/4 strip wood from HD when I decided that I needed more depth than the 18" hollow core door provided.

Larry
Looking at ceiling tiles last night, the only woodfiber ones I could find were 12X12 and had staple flanges. All the other ones had cancer warnings on them to not breathe the dust from the things. I know you can spray them to keep the dust down, but it still makes me uneasy. Might have to go back to my old extruded foam with cork roadbed.
22tango,

i have used rolled cork sheets from HD that are used for lining drawers as roadbed. The sheets are about 4x4', 1/8" thick and can be cut into strips with a razor knife or sissors and glued to the plain door panels or blue foam. It is much cheaper than buying the commericial pre-cut stuff.

Larry
Do you have a home improvement store nearby? They should carry the drop ceiling tiles you are looking for or they could order them for you. Otherwise, look in the phone book for a builder -- they may have "extra" tiles from a recent job they could sell or give to you. I was looking for bi-fold doors for my layout, so I called a builder who specialized in remodeling if he had any he was throwing away/looking to get rid of -- sure enough, I scored three sets, free of charge as they were used. You should also look to see if there is a houses for habitat recycling center in your area -- builders and homeowners donate items which are then sold at very low prices to fund the program. Universities often have something similar to this where one can purchase used items for cheap. The other option is to look into a "Freecycle" -- many communities here in Michigan have these. People have items that are useable that they want gone, so they post it on freecycle for people to pick up. Just some suggestions. Good luck, and I am looking forward to seeing the track plan for your layout.

Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.