Vestvagoy / A norway harbour at 1/13.7 scale
After Modelling the Woolacombe Bay at 1/13.7 scale, I start a new layout called Vestvagoy. A norway harbour at 1/13.7 scale located on the Vestvagoy in Lofoten Islands in the north of Norway.

[Image: karte-lofoten-1.jpg]

It's a fictional railways. The rea is nowadays. The Track are 45 mm / 2 feet scale. The scale is 7/8 inch for one foot or 1/13.7
The railway system allows the fishermen to transport the fish and the fishing materials from the boat to the fishery

The layout measures 143 cm by 73 cm plus a fiddle yard on the left part of the layout of 93 cm by 73 cm (not shows on the photos). On the fiddle yard, I have 3 tracks that allow me to do various movements between the layout and the “rest of the world”. I run the layout from the front in order to be able to share and discuss with the visitors. I’m equipped for that with a DCC Wireless Infrared System to be able to move freely.

I will be able to utilized my fleet of locomotives of free lance locos and true English and german one like the Lister, the Ruston 20 HP and Ransom and Rapier.

The rolling stocks come from Bachmann, LGB, HLW and also entire scratch build ones.

The layout runs on DCC with an Spectrum EZ Command Control System Dynamis Wireless Infrared System. Each locomotive is equipped with a DCC decoder. The sound of the loco is also played under the layout with an Esu sound decoder plus a subwoofer and two satellites. In parallel, I play a CD on a CD player links also to another separate Hercules XPS2-135 system. The CD contains true sounds of waves mixed with seagulls, sterns, …

The boat and the building on the quay belong to Hansen Fisk company

[Image: SeafoodfromNorgelogo2.jpg]

I start the layout by the central element, the boat. I order the hull in vacuum plastic in UK (30 inches long) plus the accessories of another supplier in UK.

The boat will look like of a mix of that

[Image: 8409009532_f816bcb2a2_o.jpg]

[Image: A_small_fishing_boat_approaching_its_hom...185121.jpg]

Here the mock up of the layout at 1/5 scale of 1/13 scale (ie 1/65 scale)

[Image: IMG_4003.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4002.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4001.jpg]

The quay will be done in wood. On the quay, a crane from a truck will help to unload the fishes from the boat (crane from mackmouldings)

[Image: c15fc9244ca0b17911f8fad27108d083-1.jpg]

The only unknown element for me is how to do a calm sea. I never do that before and I have seen many techniques on internet. The key factor of success for this layout is the sea. I'm a little lost so if you can help me ?
Modeling "water" is never easy. The scene in this picture, is on a river, just inland from the sea. It is 1/4" plywood, sanded smooth, and spray painted a dark blue, with a clear gloss over. I waited until all the paint was dry, and then used a clear acrylic floor polish to add some more shine.

This is in HO scale. The scale you will be working in will almost require that you model every wave, and ripple of the water surface ! :o Big Grin
The only thing I can think of, to do, is, play with some of the techniques you have already found, to model the waves and ripples, and the traces of the wind on the water surface, on pieces of the material you will use for the "base" of your "sea". Choose the one technique that makes the best looking water, and go with it.
I would recommend that you use a "stand-in" for your boat ( a form identical to the lower part of the boat's hull, that you can coat with something that will keep it from being "glued into the water" ), when you do the water surface, so that when the water is done, you can set the boat in place and it will look like it is "in the water" , and not just sitting "on" the water.
Wishing you luck with this. Cheers Cheers
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Thank-you very much for your advise Thumbsup

For the base, I will perhaps used a sheet of plexiglass painted on the under-face or your technique. I have to test both techniques.

For the waves and ripples I will do it with gloss acrilyc medium.
Waves and ripples work well with Clear bathroom silicone sealant, squeezed on in lines, and pulled up into peaks with a toothpick as it dries - then add a touch of white paint to the top where the wave curls over for the "foam"
If you can get a copy of the Mar/Apr. " Narrow Gauge And Shortline Gazette " ( Benchmark Publications Ltd. 800 West El Camino Real, Suite 180,Mountainview, Ca. 94040 ), there is a description of the process used to do a large water surface for "George's Boat Yard, on the On30 Elkhorn Iron & Timber Co. Railroad". It might prove interesting.
I don't subscribe, but I will pick up a copy now and then, if there's something of interest to me in the issue, and this article was interesting.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
I start the layout just after I came back from Midland Railex where I have validate during the 2 days of exhibitions that I can have fun with 3 tracks only and a transfer table.

So now I can built my new layout

[Image: IMG_1788.jpg]
Today, I make some progress :

- installation of the backdrop

- painting of sea

- Gluing pcb tie

[Image: IMG_1790.jpg]
Franck,
your project gives me a few memories to our cruise to Norway in July 2009.

Sun at midnight!
[Image: astorcruise_2009_0729041.jpg]

Fish, fish and fish again!
[Image: astorcruise_2009_0730037.jpg]

And last a good overview on such a small harbor in Norway on Lofoten Islands - this is the smallest village on Lofoten Islands 'Nusfjord' with 12 inhabitants.
[Image: astorcruise_2009_0730051.jpg]

And there we have had to pay entrance fee for visiting this very nice village 'Nusfjord'! See the plan and you can find Nusfjord near to red circle.

Good start and good success, Franck!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
I try to capture the typical small harbour of norway like in your photos.

I made some progress during the last 2 days. I install the rail and I begin also the structures.

[Image: photo.jpg]
Bernhard,
About 35 years ago,when my two oldest daughters were quite young, they heard, and would go about the house singing....
" Fish heads, fish heads, rolly polly fish heads,
Fish heads, fish heads eat 'em up YUM! "
It's the first thing I thought of when I saw your photo.
It's sometimes amazing what can trigger a memory . Big Grin

Franck, Have fun capturing the feel of that village, in scale. Thumbsup
That's some great stuff. Now I want fish.. Goldth Yummmm.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
For the fish, I have already all the rolling stock to move it from my previous layout http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...2&start=15
Franck,
Here a few more pictures of Norwegian fish industrie. Maybe it can help.

[Image: astorcruise_2009_0730043.jpg]

[Image: astorcruise_2009_0730047.jpg]

[Image: astorcruise_2009_0731000.jpg]

[Image: astorcruise_2009_0731001.jpg]

[Image: astorcruise_2009_0731003.jpg]

[Image: astorcruise_2009_0731006.jpg]

[Image: astorcruise_2009_0729079.jpg]

Unfortunately I deleted two or three pics of a small ship repair plant - a only plant filled over and over with scrap of all kind. However it was a repair plant and not a scrap plant where a worker tried to give a very old small ship a new live. Really a good scenery to model - however without a connection to a railroad.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
modelsof1900 Wrote:Franck,
Here a few more pictures of Norwegian fish industrie. Maybe it can help.

[Image: astorcruise_2009_0730043.jpg]

[Image: astorcruise_2009_0730047.jpg]

[Image: astorcruise_2009_0731000.jpg]

[Image: astorcruise_2009_0731001.jpg]

[Image: astorcruise_2009_0731003.jpg]

[Image: astorcruise_2009_0731006.jpg]

[Image: astorcruise_2009_0729079.jpg]

Unfortunately I deleted two or three pics of a small ship repair plant - a only plant filled over and over with scrap of all kind. However it was a repair plant and not a scrap plant where a worker tried to give a very old small ship a new live. Really a good scenery to model - however without a connection to a railroad.

Thank you very much for these atmospheric photos. It always the best source for building a layout.
I have finished the wood beam of the pier, paint the pier in white in order to put snow on it. I have also pre stained the building before the red paint.

[Image: IMG_2034.jpg]