LED for H0 Athearn Genesis GP9
A Chinese seller on ebay offered some time ago 2mm (,078") LED at a very attractive price and low shipping cost. I got a batch of them with the intention to use 2mm LED to replace Athearn's bulbs.
My new CR GP9 became the test bed.
The lamp holes needed to be widened just a touch with a hand driven 2mm drill. The outside end of the hole will not change because it is wider than the remaining part of the hole. I used the holes from the outside as a gauge to solder the two LED at the correct distance into one unit.

The 2mm LED. They are so bright the nominal to low bulb output is just fine
[Image: file_zps49042616.jpg]

The LED at the right distance to replace the bulbs. Plug them in the old holes and fix them with a drop of CA
[Image: file_zpsc80febb8.jpg]

The converted engine just before the shell goes back. I use small connectors to reconnect the LED to the PCB. The service staff is happy with that feature.
[Image: file_zps44c4051f.jpg]

Left LED, right bulb
[Image: file_zps8b4b5e51.jpg]
Reinhard
Good looking replacement, Reinhard.
I'm digitazing a steam model and I was not lucky with the original 1.5 volts very samm bulbs in large lamps. I replaced them by micro-leds with a good success - brilliant lightening, I think. Pictures will follow. And wonderful low speed controlling of model!
In three week I will visit the Fremo meeting in Unna and I hope for a good first run of this loco. If it all will work I would like to make a video with this model.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.