A Tool You'd Rarely Think Of!!
Here's something, a tool, that if I didn't used to be an Auto Technician, I probably wouldn't own!!! [Image: IMG_20130517_033723_702-1.jpg]
Its a analog Caliper, great for micro measurements. They’re available in digital readout too, I'm just partial to never needing batteries!!! :p

BEST USE SO FAR: Having #78, #79, and #80 micro bits laying on the counter, and having no idea which is which!!!
OR: Measuring the tabs ant posts that you need holes for, to get a better idea which drill bit to use!!! (Scratchbuilders!)
Carmine A. - CEO, Engineer, and Chief Bottle Washer! Tongue
Pacific Belt Model RR, Created 1975 - in my mind!
Big Grin Wink I like my Vernier Caliper......there's no "dial" to get broken ! 357 357
Either way, it is an extremely useful tool, for scale model work ! and like yours is an "inside", "outside", and "depth gauge"
instrument. Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
A very handy tool, I have one in the garage workshop and one for use in the train room. I've had them both since we had our business and are among the few things I kept from there. I've thought about getting a digital one, but these have served me well, and as you say, no batteries required.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Hey! What can I say....
Old farts love our analog tools!!! :p
pacbelt Wrote:Hey! What can I say....
Old farts love our analog tools!!! :p

:o Hey ! :o Don't call me an "Old Fart", I ran out of gas a long time ago ! 357 357 357 357 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
LOL I meant me......
I have GOT to remember that line!!! Big Grin Icon_lol 35 Icon_lol
Sumpter250 Wrote::o Hey ! :o Don't call me an "Old Fart", I ran out of gas a long time ago ! 357 357 357 357 357

Sheesh, you might have, but that's about all I have left Icon_lol Icon_lol .... It's the only thing that keeps me awake. :o :o :o :o
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
pacbelt Wrote:LOL I meant me......
I have GOT to remember that line!!! Big Grin Icon_lol 35 Icon_lol

Feel free to use it any time ! 2285_ 2285_ 2285_
ezdays Wrote:It's the only thing that keeps me awake. :o :o :o :o

Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

And - - - it is difficult to measure with a "Caliper".... Eek Eek Icon_lol
Sumpter250 Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:It's the only thing that keeps me awake. :o :o :o :o

Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

And - - - it is difficult to measure with a "Caliper".... Eek Eek Icon_lol

Nope, you will need a collection bag of some sort, it is measured by volume rather than distance. Popcornbeer Aroma is yet another way of measuring it using a potency scale. 35 35 35
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:Aroma is yet another way of measuring it using a potency scale.

A Potency Scale - - - - Wink Yet another "tool you'd rarely think of" :o Wink Icon_twisted 357 357
Sumpter250 Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:Aroma is yet another way of measuring it using a potency scale.

A Potency Scale - - - - Wink Yet another "tool you'd rarely think of" :o Wink Icon_twisted 357 357

They can be found on the military surplus market. We used to use them in the Air Force when we slept in open barracks. 790_smiley_picking_a_fight 24
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Most of my machinist tools I've used for my modeling, comes in handy.
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
ezdays Wrote:
Sumpter250 Wrote:Nope, you will need a collection bag of some sort, it is measured by volume rather than distance. Popcornbeer Aroma is yet another way of measuring it using a potency scale. 35 35 35
Lit the bag, hear the bang, see the flash ... Eek
And then you will see and hear of course, there will be still more possiblities of measurements:
- measure the acoustic Decibels
- measure the brightness of the flash

Lutz