new layout with no name
FCIN,you beat me to it,as you said the size i had was 144 x 14,things have changed, that space has now gone (SWMBO)

The layouts will have to be built in the loft, the size i have now is 200 x 14 max,but due to the size of the hatch in to the loft i'm limited to (for ease of handling) 42 x 14 boards,the plan below is 168 x 14 with a 24" curve on the end which goes to the fiddle yard,i started to build a layout(Franklin park) but it failed because i made the boards 48 x 20 and this size made then a really tight squeeze when taking them up and down the ladder.

Would the railroad crossing i've added be feasible, with a truncated connection made in to a small unloading/loading area,i've added a larger team track for my bulkheads/centre beams with a single sided for un-loading c/hoppers/tank cars/boxcars into trucks.

any imput welcome

Ray
The crossing at grade on your plan would be quit feasible. Have seen many industrial spurs around the country where one spur crosses another for one reason or another. Adds an interesting detail to your new plan.

Happy to hear and see that you gained some length on your plan. I like the way you've been able to have a hidden track going to a fiddle yard area or staging track. Having spent many months off and on, trying out different track arrangements for my switching layout, I've come to the conclusion that the simplest track plan is going to work the best and be the most realistic. It's not how many tracks/industries/switches you have, but what the industries are and how they are switched.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
long island jack Wrote:FCIN,you beat me to it,as you said the size i had was 144 x 14,things have changed, that space has now gone (SWMBO)

The layouts will have to be built in the loft, the size i have now is 200 x 14 max,but due to the size of the hatch in to the loft i'm limited to (for ease of handling) 32 x 14 boards,the plan below is 168 x 14 with a 24" curve on the end which goes to the fiddle yard,i started to build a layout(Franklin park) but it failed because i made the boards 48 x 20 and this size made then a really tight squeeze when taking them up and down the ladder.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Would the railroad crossing i've added be feasible, with a truncated connection made in to a small unloading/loading area,i've added a larger team track for my bulkheads/centre beams with a single sided for un-loading c/hoppers/tank cars/boxcars into trucks.

any imput welcome

Ray

A large propane tank farm may be an idea for the areas marked "B" or C" if you wanted something different than a team track.

Larry
Fast car,i like the idea of a team track best,this gives me more variation of freight cars,don't want to have to buy more stock,just use what i have,box cars x12,bulkhead/centre beams x 6,c/hoppers x 8,tank cars x 4,gondolas x 6, flats x6 and small c/hoppers x 6,think this is more than enough to run the layout.

Would the grade crossing need protected by gates (different railroad crossing) which the switch crew have to open/close(these could work via servos) and would add a bit of interest to operations,keeping the road crossing clear would also add interest.

Will have to buy a few lengths of track,a friend can give me a crossing(code 75) which will do,just need to measure up the timber now,to see if i have enough.

keep the imput coming
Ray
I know you said that you may have a problem unloading a centerbeam car maybe try these they still do use them here is a pic from 2012 , I use them on my layout!!! http://RailcarPhotos.com/Search.php?Sear...rch=Search
long island jack Wrote:Would the grade crossing need protected by gates (different railroad crossing) which the switch crew have to open/close(these could work via servos) and would add a bit of interest to operations,keeping the road crossing clear would also add interest.
Ray;
You could have something like this:     This is the L&N (now R J Corman) crossing of NS (SOU) on the Bloomfield Branch in Shelbyville, KY. That's a Loram rail grinder train passing on the NS in this photo. The Bloomfield Branch is nothing more than a industrial spur serving a couple of industries in Shelbyville south of the NS crossing.

As you can see, there is a split rail derail on this side of the crossing along with the gate. On the south side, there is simply a locked derail protecting the NS crossing. There are no signals governing the RJCC at the crossing and the crew must call the NS dispatcher about using it. Once they get clearance to cross, a crew member must open the box you see on the left at the base of the gate, actuate it and wait 5 minutes before the gate can be opened and the derail lined for movement.

Here's a shot of the crew shoving a plastic pellets covered hopper over the crossing after the rail grinder train cleared the block:     As you can see, the gate is now across the NS, which does have signals on either side of the crossing. Once the train clears the crossing, the gate is re-aligned for normal movement over NS and the derails placed back in derailing position. The crew then calls the NS dispatcher to report clear of the crossing.

I've also see a similar gate protected crossing operation on the Crab Orchard & Egyptian Railroad in Marion, IL. The COER crosses a lightly used UP (ex-MP) line there and the crew simply stops clear of the crossing and if no UP train is in sight, they swing the gate and go on through. Then align the gate back for movement over the UP. They don't call the UP dispatcher on that operation.

It would certainly make for an interesting detail to include on your layout, although the only problem I see would be that while you're switching your industries on the left side of the crossing, you'd have to foul the crossing the whole time. Not to say that couldn't be done if the other line was lightly used, but it would get old really fast if you had to constantly stop, open and close the gate as you switched. I sure like the idea; not something you often see.
Ed
Excellent stuff FCIN

Just what i'm looking for,my plan was to have a gate which the crews would open ,then do any switching and close the gate,the railroad that crosses would be slightly run down with very occasional traffic.

Do all crossings likes this have that type of derail,they call them catch points this side of the pond,or is there other types,also are there different types of gates.

Yo've got my brain working over time on this one,i could have a timed delay on opening the gate (talking to dispatcher),then the gate would move,which would then give some juice to the derail (via a micro switch or something),this would slow my switching crews down,(i'm only talking 4-5 cars train lengths at a time to be switched),as you say adds interest of a seldom seen operation.

This is a must do,keep the input coming,great work Thumbsup Thumbsup

Ray
long island jack Wrote:Do all crossings likes this have that type of derail,they call them catch points this side of the pond,or is there other types,also are there different types of gates.
Not all of the crossings that I've seen have these type derails on them and the one on the COER and others that I've seen photos of, don't have derails at all. The derail on the south side of the NS crossing in Shelbyville is a typical hinged derail like this:     Both types of derails are available in HO scale.

Most of the gate protected crossings that I've seen are like the one in the photo, although I'm sure there are variations. They are usually very simple affairs with either a stop sign on them like the one in the photo or some other sort or red marker - often with a red light or lights for visibility at night.
Ed
I don't remember seeing any derails at crossings. All the ones I've seen are interlocked because at least one of the lines is heavy.

One point: the interlocking at the junction was installed and paid for by the later railroad to arrive i.e. the one that caused the crossing to exist, even if that railroad only ran a couple of trains a day. There would probably be less signalling if both lines were sidings. The signal box would be built to the style of #2 railroad.

An interesting detail might be a smashboard, basically a large semaphore arm that came down right across the track and would be broken by any train disobeying it. Would give an audible warning (probably too late) and evidence of the guilty party.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Thanks again guys excellent info

Next thing is buildings, is there a variation of styles depending which part of the country your in?,are they all built with flat roofs,(most of the picture i've seen they all have flat roofs),i would like to do some of the"shoe box"type ,mixed in with metal sided and brick type.

Does this really matter, can i build any structure to fit my locations,going to use card/foamboard if i can for most,if not all of them, with the odd bit of plasticard(metal sheeting).

Would like to make the structures no bigger than 4.5"high(2 storey) and 2.5"(1 storey) do these seem about right.

Ray
Ray;

I'd say you have a lot of possibilities for different structure styles. Some concrete block, some brick, some a mixture of block and metal siding, even all metal siding structures. Just seems to be the area and how the industrial park developed. For instance, here are two nice industrial spurs I found in Commerce, CA: http://maps.google.com/?ll=33.990097,-11...7&t=k&z=18. As you follow each one to the end, you'll notice that most of the structures are not very tall, and all have a sort of "family" appearance, yet there is some variance in construction styles. Here's another one in Evansville, IN, that has a lot of variety as to the structure types, which were built at different times - even a large feed mill toward the end. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Evansville...a&t=k&z=17. Just look around various industrial areas in different parts of the country; pick out structures that appeal to you and go with it.

On my yet to be finalized switching layout, I have structure mockups that vary in height from 2.5 to 4 inches in height and they look just fine. They are also based on structures that I've found in different parts of the country, but they are structures and industries that appeal to me and fit with my equipment types. I love freelancing!
Ed
Ray:
modern buildings seem to be similar over the whole continent except when there are reasons (climate) for local variations. Looks like most of them just order from the Walthers catalog.

The older buildings will have variations, with regional customs or regulations. Canada has a lot more brick than adjacent US areas. Areas of Ontario settled by Scots have a lot of stone buildings.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
cheers guys
plenty of food for thought there,hoping to start the build in August-ish,i've got a two weeks holidays and a couple of exhibitions to fit in till then,also a bit of fine tuning on 59th and rust,ready for it's first outing in October,then i'm free till January, when my other layout HELM,has a few exhibitions.

Thanks for all the help and ideas,i'm of for ten days now,so see you later.

Ray
long island jack Wrote:FCIN,you beat me to it,as you said the size i had was 144 x 14,things have changed, that space has now gone (SWMBO

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Ray

Ray, that looks great plan. It's inspired me to try something similar as I'm still playing around with designs. Hope you don't mind if I "steal" that design, in part or perhaps in full. I really like the crossing.

Steve.
UK Engineering fan, from the tiny artistically engineered to the huge and powerful
Steve
Steal away, the boards are built and track is down, but are being adapted to be used as UK freemo layout ( I've taken the crossing out) which I will be starting on again in the new year. i'm busy building a new switching layout at the moment hoping to finish it soon.

Ray