gp9 drive noise
I have an old athearn gp9 from about 1975. I pulled it out after about 30 years and ran it. It ran slow and would stop completely after about 4 rounds on a 4 X 6 layout. It ran very quiet. I replaced the motor and now it runs great but there is a loud noise ( seems like it is in the front trucks) when running forward. Seems like it make more noise when on a curve. When it runs backwards, there is still a noise but it is not as loud as going forward. The trucks and gears have been oiled and greased. What could be the problem - cracked gear may be? I don't know what to do. I though I should try changing the front truck assembly but I haven't found one yet. I don't know what but something happened with the remotor. I like this engine and would want to keep using it. Anyone have any ideas?
Today is the oldest you have ever been, yet the youngest you will ever be!
Perhaps the universal joint?
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
How can I tell if it is the u joint and how do I fix it? Replace it of grease it?
I would look to see if it is cracked or misaligned.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
One thing I forgot to mention. The backward & forward movement of the engine was just the opposite of all my other engines and the noise was coming from the rear trucks. So I moved the trucks front to back and back to front and now the front is making the noise.
I think that you should open the noisy truck and check all toothwheels for correctness, cracks, broken tooths.
Second mount cleaned truck parts together without the worm - and it should run free with a very light fingertip.
however I think that one of the toothwheels should have a heavy demage. Than you should replace it or the whole truck.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Thanks for the info. I will take the truck apart and see what I can find.
I took the front trucks off the GP9, took them apart and I could not see any broken teeth or chips. I had another truck from I think a life like locomotive. I took that apart and the gears looked the same size when I placed them together. I than swapped the gears from the life like to my athearn and they were a match. I put the athearn back together, greased it up an put it on the tracks. I still have a slight hum but not anything close to what it was before. It must be the athearm hum that I always hear about. I will let it run for a while to break in the new gears and will report back. Thanks for the info given me. I really appreciate all the help as I have been out of model railroading for more than 30 years and pulled my trains out of the attic about 6 months ago. I know I have missed a lot of needed knowledge in those years and hope to catch up. Also, I am a little clumsy with my hands and I also have some arthritis in them but I am determined to learn as much as I can and fix what I can.
A next idea.
Do sit very fine washers left and right on the worm shaft avoiding rubbing against bearings?
The worm moves with turning to the bearings - in both directions dependent from rotation direction of worm/motor.
First the worm must have a little bit movability an axial direction but it must be limited by washers. And second the worm can be pressed to one of end if the following gear-wheels are turning hard. That all can generate a heavy rolling loco or truck and in all cases this will be generate also "noise". I hope for success.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.