Chat Room
We are still planning to change servers soon. Don, Packey & I have been discussing the board's software and modifications. The 2 main mods are the photo gallery and the chat room.

Whenever the board software has to be updated to the newest release, a few times a year, it's really a chore keep the chat room running. So, we need to know if it's worth replacing our present chat room with another newer chat room (same amount of aggravation to maintain) or can we do without it?

We know that there are a few that use it, we're only asking that you reply to this post stating how often you do use it. Also - you may post if you know for certain that another member uses it.

Thanks!!!!

Don & Mikey.....
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
I look to see to see if someone is in there every night, but rarely find someone else.
railohio Wrote:I look to see to see if someone is in there every night, but rarely find someone else.
Same here. Often it will indicate that someone is in the chat room, but when you log on to chat, you find they aren't there and have failed to log out. Can't remember the last time I actually found any one in the chat room.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Never used it and don't have much interest in it .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
I have never used it, and don't really see myself ever using it. ( It's a "beyond the mid life crisis", and enjoying my "over the hill privileges " kind of a thing.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Isn't that what Skype is for? Goldth

Honestly I think a way to upload multiple pictures at one time would be a better use of your programing time.
Charlie
I'm in it every so often.. but not too much.. A few years ago it was full all the time. I think a lot of the members lost interest in it.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Another vote for lack of interest. Not directed against Blue or any other chat room but if I want to chat, I pick up the phone.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
I agree that interest is waning in the chat room. There used to be four or more people in there just about every night. I never was one for chat rooms anyway, I guess I'm easily confused with several conversations going on a once. It was very difficult for me to keep track of who I was talking to and about what. :? I used to drop in occasionally, but it's bee a few years since I did that. On the old forum at one time, we used to have a chat room that was separate from the forum, and we'd just link to it. Maybe that's a better solution. Like Mikey says, every time we do a software update, it takes a long time to restore the add-ons such as the Gallery and chat. There are options if we do drop it from here.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Don, you could all ways set up a yahoo group for those that want to chat, and let them police it themselves.
I "own" a group for Samoyed owners and it gets loads of use, and the options are good, with plenty of space for pictures and files and it can be set to send attachments. It works with email as well as viewing on line.
It could even be a backup for the list instead of google groups.
Charlie
I support the chat, and lately I have been signing in between 8 and 10 PM (EST) as regularly as possible.

I am under the impression that since nobody is in the room, people don't feel like being stuck next to their computers in case someone comes on.

What we really need to do is find a set time to "hang out" on the chat room. Other forums do this. One has a chat sunday nights, and its always full, and its been that way for years without much interruption.

I realize a lot of people are having a hard time being on at the same time, but that's the only way it can work.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:I support the chat, and lately I have been signing in between 8 and 10 PM (EST) as regularly as possible.

I am under the impression that since nobody is in the room, people don't feel like being stuck next to their computers in case someone comes on.

What we really need to do is find a set time to "hang out" on the chat room. Other forums do this. One has a chat sunday nights, and its always full, and its been that way for years without much interruption.

I realize a lot of people are having a hard time being on at the same time, but that's the only way it can work.
We used to have a set time.. but people lost interest.. We just never went back to setting dates and times. I know of another board that holds chats Tuesdays and Thursdays between 8:00 & 10:00 PM.. they usually have 4 - 8 members signing in Smile Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:I am under the impression that since nobody is in the room, people don't feel like being stuck next to their computers in case someone comes on.

If someone is in the chat I'll stay on the computer a bit longer, but, as you say, I'm not going to keep the computer running just in case someone else may show up in the evening.
Charlie B Wrote:Don, you could all ways set up a yahoo group for those that want to chat, and let them police it themselves.
I "own" a group for Samoyed owners and it gets loads of use, and the options are good, with plenty of space for pictures and files and it can be set to send attachments. It works with email as well as viewing on line.
It could even be a backup for the list instead of google groups.
Charlie

We had an outside chat room at one time over at the old place, that certainly would be a viable option for here. It's just nice that you can tell who is in chat just by logging on here, but for the use it's been getting, a separate chat that we could link to, should work.

I'm sure everyone here understands that the more things you have to fool with, the more likely it is to screw something up. Packey tells me that when he does an update, he has to manually change 25 different files just for the gallery add-on. The less he has to change, the better off we are....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Since I haven't been on a chat room in 6 or 7 years , ....do you still type in all the dialogue or has that changed in some way ? I was on a model car forum that had chat and I found it to be cumbersome at best .....typing errors , people coming and going from the room . That's why I posted my initial comment .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.