Problem with an N scale Life-Like Heritage 2-8-8-2 loco
Hello from sunny and warm Cologne.
I own one with DCC and sound on board (factory installed) that stutters when running slow or at medium speed.
Seems like something would block the gears or so.
I would think that this is a problem of this special, single loco,
BUT it is meanwhile the fourth (!!!) one I see with the same problem.
Me myself, I never had one running satisfyingly. But I´d really like to!
This is strange, because everybody talking and writing about it says that it runs smooth and quiet.
The first three troublemakers were UP-versions of the loco.
The last one is a NW-version.
Any idea?
I am very thankful for any help.
Regards

Stephan

PS: YES, I´ve already tried a reset. ;O)
Stephan

Guys, if I don't bleed to death pretty soon, I'm gonna die of boredom.
If the loco has traction tires I would suggest cleaning the track and the wheels that don't have the traction tires.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
This may be far out, but I had one in HO and sometimes going around curves the front trucks had a tendency to short out on the frame. This made it stutter and jerk most of the time, and sometimes come to a complete stop on rare ocassions.

Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx
Hi Charlie,
I'm an HO guy, but the suggestions I have may work. I am guessing it is beyond warranty so If you are an advanced modeller I would take it down to the driver assemblies, sans motor gears and make sure the wheel and rods are lightly lubed and there is no binding on the driver wheel assemblies. Once they are smooth with no binding check all the gears for binding and cracks or slippage on the shafts, then reassemble the wheels and look for any binding, or catching on the frames. Also make sure all screws are tightened correctly. Make sure all the drive wheels are in properly and on quarter. I have seen drivers out of quarter.
If everything checks OK here, try running on DC if that is an option.
If you need to set things for the DCC set the CV for start voltage so it just starts at throttle step one then see if there is a CV for kick start and another for back EMF. Work with these CV's to see if you can solve the problem, but to be honest, it sounds more mechanical to me.
Hope this can help
Charlie
I have the same loco in HO scale and I'm not happy with it's performance at all. It's a lemon. It looks beautiful, but right from the start it has given me problems. First when I opened the package it was missing some of the detail parts, then after running it for about an hour the valve gear on the front engine exploded. If that wasn't enough about a year or so latter the motor melted. It has been sitting on a shelf for about 2 years now waiting for repairs, and I have no plans of getting to it any time soon.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew