Sorry I just had to do this.
FiatFan Wrote:
ngauger Wrote:That light travels like a bullet in a straight line, so the light that left the star shot out and just arrived on earth, so we could "see" it.... Even though the star (gun) is gone, the light still travels......

Is this also what happens to the light when you turn off the light switch?

Tom
Yes, but on a smaller scale... We could test the theory, if we could afford a replacement light switch for the one at the end of the tunnel Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
ngauger Wrote:Yes, but on a smaller scale... We could test the theory, if we could afford a replacement light switch for the one at the end of the tunnel Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
I understood that has been accomplished by Neil in 1969 on the moon. He exchanged the defect switch with a dimmer and we got the wonderful spectacle of waxing and waning moon Wink
Reinhard
FiatFan Wrote:
ngauger Wrote:That light travels like a bullet in a straight line, so the light that left the star shot out and just arrived on earth, so we could "see" it.... Even though the star (gun) is gone, the light still travels......

Is this also what happens to the light when you turn off the light switch?

Tom

We have this really stupid commercial in the Phoenix area. This guy is going to prove that his Internet connection from Cox is faster than the speed of light. He pushes a key on his keyboard at the same time he switches the light switch on and says "see there". Because of this "scientific" experiment, we're all suppose to sign up with Cox. It must be working, they keep running the commercial. 35 35 35
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
FiatFan Wrote:Is this also what happens to the light when you turn off the light switch?

Tom

Nope - Let's say the light at the end of the tunnel was someone with a torch bringing you some more work to do - when he turns it off it all goes back into the battery - I thought everybody knew that! Eek
shortliner Wrote:Nope - Let's say the light at the end of the tunnel was someone with a torch bringing you some more work to do - when he turns it off it all goes back into the battery - I thought everybody knew that! Eek

Is that where rechargeable batteries come from??? Icon_lol
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

ngauger Wrote:
shortliner Wrote:Nope - Let's say the light at the end of the tunnel was someone with a torch bringing you some more work to do - when he turns it off it all goes back into the battery - I thought everybody knew that! Eek

Is that where rechargeable batteries come from??? Icon_lol

No, they call those, "self-charging" batteries. What they do is suck the power from any other battery withing 1,000 miles. What do you think happens to something like a flashlight or some other gadget that you haven't used for a while and won't work when you turn it on? I'll tell you, it's because these self-charging batteries drain the to give life to itself, that's why. 35 35
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Ordinary batteries die because, if they aren't used, the light slowly leaks out of the minute holes and joins in the metal casing around the outside. Rechargable batteries are different - look at an AAA size or AA size one - on the top is a little round knob sometimes marked with a + sign. If you are lucky a leccy store will have suitable size keys for sale ( different size keys fit the different size batteries) but they may be sold out because the keys are in very high demand. You take the key, place it over the knob, and wind it up clock-wise - it normally takes between 100 -200 full turns to wind the clockwork spring behind the light reservoir to get it wound tight enough - but once that's done you are good to go! They also sell "chargers" that you plug into a wall socket, but that is for lazy or weak people, just to power the motor in the charger unit that winds up the battery for you - so you don't get aching wrists, and people give you knowing looks when you complain about it! :o
shortliner Wrote:Ordinary batteries die because, if they aren't used, the light slowly leaks out of the minute holes and joins in the metal casing around the outside. Rechargable batteries are different - look at an AAA size or AA size one - on the top is a little round knob sometimes marked with a + sign. If you are lucky a leccy store will have suitable size keys for sale ( different size keys fit the different size batteries) but they may be sold out because the keys are in very high demand. You take the key, place it over the knob, and wind it up clock-wise - it normally takes between 100 -200 full turns to wind the clockwork spring behind the light reservoir to get it wound tight enough - but once that's done you are good to go! They also sell "chargers" that you plug into a wall socket, but that is for lazy or weak people, just to power the motor in the charger unit that winds up the battery for you - so you don't get aching wrists, and people give you knowing looks when you complain about it! :o

That's true to a point for some batteries. I ordered a battery charger off the Net for my "Non-windup" batteries and when I got it, well, it was half of a bicycle with the crank attached to two leads that you clamped on to a battery. For 1.5 volt batteries, you simply peddled at a low speed for about an hour. 12 volt batteries require you to peddle at a speed of around 10 miles an hour for a bit longer. It had a quick charge mode where you really put the peddle to the metal. Eek At that point, you find it less tiring to just walk to the nearest Ace Hardware store and buy a new battery. Icon_lol
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:What they do is suck the power from any other battery withing 1,000 miles. What do you think happens to something like a flashlight or some other gadget that you haven't used for a while and won't work when you turn it on? I'll tell you, it's because these self-charging batteries drain the to give life to itself, that's why. 35 35
I wonder if that theory would work with the light at the end of the tunnel??? Would it drain the light out of another light that was placed close by??? Therefore, keeping the light lit without costing anything, thereby sidestepping the budget cuts! Big Grin Big Grin

...... or is this one of those "perpetual motion" - Something for Nothing things??
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Sorry - that won't work - the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off because of the budgie cusses, and the light has all gone back into the battery as I explaind earlier! Not sure if luminous paint might solve the problem ? Putting the battery in a bowl of Gern flux might keep the light in for 3% longer though. Worship
Icon_twisted Icon_twisted With several properly placed "Super Black Holes", you could bend the light into a circular path and every fifty to seventy five thousand years,or so, the light could be seen to come on, and then go off.
The difficult part, would be getting the Black Holes positioned, without being sucked into one and crushed into subatomic particles, and raw energy. Tongue Tongue 357 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:Icon_twisted Icon_twisted With several properly placed "Super Black Holes", you could bend the light into a circular path and every fifty to seventy five thousand years,or so, the light could be seen to come on, and then go off.
The difficult part, would be getting the Black Holes positioned, without being sucked into one and crushed into subatomic particles, and raw energy. Tongue Tongue 357 357

Kind of like this thread..... It was "on" 4 or 5 years ago, then went "off" and now.... Lester turned it back on!!! Eek

Does that mean Lester knows how to manipulate Black Holes?????? Eek Goldth Goldth Goldth Goldth
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Hmmmmmm, That presents a situation of "intense gravity" !!! Eek Icon_lol 2285_ 2285_ 2285_
" Sorry I just had to do that" Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
We can all stop worrying. The budget cuts also affected the personnel, and it has been determined that the temporary position for the guy who was supposed to go around turning off the lights wasn't funded and therefore was never filled! An executive level decision was therefore made to allow the lights to simply burn out on their own. In electrical terms, the absence of the worker who didn't make his rounds resulted in a "broken circuit" and things then followed "the path of least resistance"! This is truly an illuminating lesson. 357
I hope no one necroposts this back after 3 months Icon_lol
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.