D&D Steel
Sumpter250 The broad gauge will be 7 feet 4 inch. It is modeled at Bethlehem Steel's 7 feet 10 inch broad gauge. I will be using mostly S scale track. Here are the 2 different kinds of broad gauge cars Bethlehem had.

Transfer Car from sinter Plant and ore yard to the Blast Furnaces
[Image: BethlehemSteelCorporation6ftTransferCarR...203cc5.jpg]

Hopper cars used from the Rotary Dump to the ore yard.
[Image: BethlehemSteelCorporationsteel01_zpsad87df47.jpg]

The Narrow gauge I will be modeling is 30 inches from rail to rail. Guess this is also called HOn30 and most track used will be N scale track. The narrow gauge was mostly used around the ingot plants.
[Image: BethlehamSteelNarrowGauge_zpsb5b574cd.jpg]

[Image: BSCOWhitcombs_zps997c0954.jpg]

Here is a neat picture. It show all 3 scale Bethlehem Steel had. The track to the very left is dual gauge track. Narrow and standard gauge can be seen. Center of the picture is the standard gauge and on the right the high line is also dual gauge. but it is broad and standard gauge tracks.
[Image: DCP_0578_zps105de722.jpg]

Stumpter250 I really like your switches you did. Will be sending you a message later to talk to you about them. Thanks for posting the pictures of them. They look like something you would find inside a steel mill. As for where the locos was built that is a good ideal. There was also a company called Atlas (not the model company) they built locomotives and specialized equipment for steel mills.

Gus, no the Hulett unloader isn't powered. This is something that I don't think I will do, but it would be interesting to have on the layout. Thanks for the link to video also. I remember see the video. There is another one from a different meet some where on the net. I will have to find it and post a link to it. Yes there is a dock there. It is 6 feet long. The ship that is there is a Sylvan ore freighter. This is a winter project.

Don
nachoman Wrote:Sumpter - I love those hustlers. Did you repower them?

The painted one had the Ernst gear kit installed, and... Nope ....now it has a NWSL replacement drive ( 4 wheels and a small can motor assembly ) The other two ( in primer ) will get the NWSL drives, if I can find two of them. They are a "project-on-hold" for now.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Wow Don!!! That's great stuff! Thanks for showing us your steel industry work!!! Enjoyed the proto pics too. Welcome, by the way!
Didn't really know if I should post his here or in another section, but any way here is a material transfer car that I build last year for my mill. These cars are used to transport coke, sinter, and iron ore from parts of a mill to the blast furnace. It still needs to be weathered.

Don

[Image: 100_4695.jpg]

[Image: 100_4683.jpg]
Here is a shot of my ore yard beside my Blast Furnace. The ore crane and Hulett unloader can be see alone with the high line.

[Image: oreyard1.JPG]

Close up of the Hulett Unloader

[Image: Hullet%20Unloader.JPG]

Here is the slag pit. The electric shovel is scratch built using a Lionel shove as the starting point.

[Image: Slag%20Dump.JPG]
Few more pictures before I am off to bed. This is a Laker Class ship from Sylvan. Pretty nice kit.

Don

[Image: 100_5513.jpg]

[Image: 100_5512.jpg]

[imghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/don_csx/Laker%20Ship/100_5511.jpg][/img]

[Image: 100_5510.jpg]

[Image: 100_5509.jpg]
OK maybe a couple more pictures. This is a electric shovel I scratch built. The boom base and bucket are from an O scale Lionel kit. The rest id scratched out of Plastruct styrene. Pretty easy and simple build. It too 2 days to do this project. One for building the other for painting.

Don

[Image: 100_0368.jpg]

[Image: 100_0366.jpg]

Here is the Generator Trailer for the shovel. It was scratched built out of an old Tyco trailer.

[Image: 102_3066_zps27358e2b.jpg]

[Image: 102_3065_zps9727824b.jpg]
Don Dunn Wrote:Few more pictures before I am off to bed. This is a Laker Class ship from Sylvan. Pretty nice kit.
Don

The guys from Sylvan, usually show up at Trainfest in Milwaukee. Had several great conversations with them, and they are "seafarers" ( Great lakes ), so we've swapped lies about life at sea ( mine's mostly Navy, but some, on Eastern Long Island bays where I spent my youth ) Their ship kits are some of the best resin kits I have seen, their vehicle kits too.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Some more great stuff!!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
This is a Mongram Hudson Steam locomotive kit. The ideal is that some steel mill used steam locomotives to provide steam to parts of there mill while the regular boilers was down for maintenance or repair. I wanted the locomotive to still be in rather good shape but also wanted to show it's age. The locomotive was painted and weathered by hand. The Ideal came from a magazine article about NWS&W using locomotives they bought for scrap from other railroads. They even saved a few and used them for work in the plant up until the early 80's.

Don

[Image: 102_3054_zps56c18aad.jpg]

[Image: 102_3056_zpsb4244ee8.jpg]
Outstanding work!

Those mill broad gauge cars are unusual, to say the least - made for modeling! Thumbsup
Hello I'm a brand new member and ran across your site ,I noticed you posted a picture of the cars that ran below the dump track .I am currently trying to find more inforation about the Steel Plant in Bethlehem .The unloading track and the sinter plant are the next area to model. If you have any imformation or photos you can share I would seriously appreciatethat Thanks for your time and keep up the fabulous work Pete
Pete,

I don't have much information on Bethlehem Steel about the broad gauge line. I do they had 2 different kinds of board gauge cars. On was a transfer car with a control cab and the other was a hopper type cars with electric motor for movement.

The way these cars work was the transfer cars was loaded at the sinter plant or at the marital yard with sinter or other martials then transfer to the blast furnace high line. The hopper type cars was load from a rotary dumper then it was moved along the marital transfer yard and then it dumped in the appropriate place. There was at one time a video of this operation on YouTube but I not seen it in some time.

Don Dunn
Now that's a serious industry!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Welcome Aboard guys!! Big Grin Big Grin

Peter have you checked out the Library of Congress site? Plenat of info and pics of Bethlehem Steel:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.loc.gov/search/?q=bethlehem+steel&in=original-format%3Aphoto%2C+print%2C+drawing">http://www.loc.gov/search/?q=bethlehem+ ... 2C+drawing</a><!-- m -->
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???