HO Scale Lifeboats (and some larger vessels, too)
Gidday, a recent project.

Cheers, the Bear.
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
Wow. NICELY done! What did you use for the tarps?
Just to answer your question on tarps ,Ralph , I found that Kleenex type tissue ( just use 1 of the plys ) , spray painted , and crinkled up a bit , looks pretty realistic .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
The furled sails on these sailboats, were done with the single ply of Kleenex type tissue:

JaBear, nicely done lifeboats ! Thumbsup Thumbsup
I do, have to ask, . . . . what "ship" are they going to be installed on ? Wink
The Tarps, appear to be a bit more solid than a single ply of tissue. The tie-down attachment points lead me to suspect that aluminum foil might have been used. Tissue, seems a bit too fragile for the exact cuts, and the actual attaching of the lines.
If I am wrong, please, a "tutorial" on the making of those tarps ? Wink Wink Smile
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Thank you Ralph for your kind words.
Sumpter 250, alas there will not be new improved "Bear method of making Tarps" to astound the model railroading fraternity . Icon_lol You are correct, I borrowed some of my wifes kitchen aluminium  foil, and sprayed it with a rattle can of green I happened to have on hand. I would have preferred a darker green, though to be fair, I suspect to have been prototypical I should have gone for the plain canvas "cream", however I wanted a contrast between the hull and the tarp. Besides for, me, that the joy of free lancing. I had considered the tissue method which you have used so effectively for your furled sails, and have also seen it used on covering a friends flat car load, but I could envisage lots of undesirable language and a huge pile of failed attempts  Wallbang The lifeboats will be going on to a free lanced Detroit River Car Ferry based on the "Windsor". I started on the lifeboats cos I think I may need saving at some point. Wink
An example of silliness, is there a psychiatrist in the house???

I am currently scratch building the docking apron, will post photos at the appropriate time.
Cheers, the Bear.
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
Nice work. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
Nice job on the boats Bear! Cheers
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
JaBear Wrote:An example of silliness, is there a psychiatrist in the house???

Some nice looking, 11", single blocks. Thumbsup

As much as I would like to use wood for blocks and dead eyes, I have found that styrene can be worked smaller, quicker, and with less "breakage" than wood. The dead eyes on this HO scale "Cutter" started out as styrene rod, the blocks were styrene strips, of the appropriate dimensions, from Evergreen.

We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Foil huh? Very effective. Thanks!
Sumpter250 Wrote:As much as I would like to use wood for blocks and dead eyes,......
Ooops, looks like I'm indulging in false pretenses :oops: those blocks are actually made from sprue from a Bowser freight car kit. Looking at your cutter I see I'm going to have to raise my own bar Smile
Thank you all for your kind remarks.
Cheers, the Bear.
JaBear Wrote:those blocks are actually made from sprue from a Bowser freight car kit.

2285_ 2285_ Even better ! excellent modeling, and a "recycler" 8-) 8-) Big Grin Big Grin Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

" Looking at your cutter I see I'm going to have to raise my own bar Smile "
Every time you try something new, or perfect an existing ability, your "bar" rises. All you really have to do is seek the better
( for you ) way. It's taken me all but 11 years of my life to get where I am now, and I'm sure some things Wink can still be improved on. Cheers
Sumpter250 Wrote:a "recycler" :
Cheapskate is the word I'd use. 357 357 357
Cheers, the Bear.
Does that mean you'll be sailing on Cheapskate Bay? 357
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
JaBear: Welcome to the forum. Please keep posting your outstanding work! I do not model boats but I truly enjoy looking at the posts of the members that do. I would like to build a PRR tugboat someday.

Dave
-Dave
Puddlejumper Wrote:I do not model boats but I truly enjoy looking at the posts of the members that do. I would like to build a PRR tugboat someday. Dave

Building boat/ship models, is really no different than any other kind of model.
1- do the research
2- get as many photos as you can
3- ask the necessary questions ( what is this?, what does it do? why is it "there"? etc. )
4- in each photo try to find an object that you can determine the "size" of ( helps to keep things in scale )
5- choose the materials-kit-prototype-etc.
6- start building........yeah it will be a whole new learning curve, but I find that the most exciting place in life is on the
sharp leading edge of any "learning curve"
7- Last, and perhaps the most important step, enjoy the experience.