Poll: Would you use the chat room if we brought it back?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, I would use it on a frequent basis but only if it was a part of Big Blue, (like it was)
5.88%
2 5.88%
Yes, I just want it back, even if it is linked to an off-site location (like what we had on the original gauge)
5.88%
2 5.88%
Yes, I would use it occasionally, but only if it was a part of Big Blue
14.71%
5 14.71%
Yes, I would use it occasionally no matter where it was.
14.71%
5 14.71%
No, I wouldn't use it regardless of where it was located
11.76%
4 11.76%
No, I rarely, if ever, use a chat room of any kind, anywhere
32.35%
11 32.35%
No, I hate chat rooms, they are confusing and a waste of time
5.88%
2 5.88%
No, chat rooms are for school kids.
8.82%
3 8.82%
What's a chat room anyway?
0%
0 0%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Chat room poll
We have had requests to revive the chat room here. We dropped it when we moved servers because it was no longer being supported and apparently was beginning to show it. We have a couple of choices, one is to see if we can find a compatible sub-program that we could add to our software, the second is to create one outside of Big Blue, such as Google, and simply link to it here. The third option is to do nothing. We will determine what to do based on the answers we get in this poll.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
My two cents worth Goldth ....if there are even 8 or 10 people who would use the chat room , go ahead an get it done . It may attract others down the road . It doesn't appeal to me right now but I suppose that could change . With any "chats" I've attended in the past , the format ( I found ) was somewhat awkward .....I'm assuming you type your responses rather than talk , or has that been updated ?

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
teejay Wrote:My two cents worth Goldth ....if there are even 8 or 10 people who would use the chat room , go ahead an get it done . It may attract others down the road . It doesn't appeal to me right now but I suppose that could change . With any "chats" I've attended in the past , the format ( I found ) was somewhat awkward .....I'm assuming you type your responses rather than talk , or has that been updated ?

T

It's my understanding that chat rooms are text only. I guess some can post photos, but I think verbal chats are limited to things like Skype. Thinks can get a bit confusing if you're not use to things there. One person is talking about cars, another about their vacation and yet another about a model they're building. Since comments are listed as they are received, it's hard to tell who is talking to who. it's like being at a party and you think someone across the room is trying to talk to you, but you're not sure if they mean you or someone else. There are private rooms you can go into to isolate a conversation, but all-in-all, it can be a bit daunting.

We are not asking for a majority vote before we do something, but we need more than one or two people before we spend the time and energy to implement one.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I would prefer it on-site like it was, but If that doesn't happen I guess off-site wouldn't be that bad. I'm not voting because I would choose either option.
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
tomustang Wrote:I would prefer it on-site like it was, but If that doesn't happen I guess off-site wouldn't be that bad. I'm not voting because I would choose either option.
Option #2 gives you that choice, on-site or off-site if need be.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ok guys i know im new here but i would like to see a chat. so this is what i would like to lay out on the table. there are some who also say they are not interested at all but to the ones that are i used to use a program called team speak 3. you can do chat and voice set up different rooms and alot of neat stuff. i will pay for the services my self and give full control to the mods of the forum. the reason i say i will pay for it my self is because i would like to give something back to the group who has welcomed me in.
TX_CUMMINS_6BT Wrote:ok guys i know im new here but i would like to see a chat. so this is what i would like to lay out on the table. there are some who also say they are not interested at all but to the ones that are i used to use a program called team speak 3. you can do chat and voice set up different rooms and alot of neat stuff. i will pay for the services my self and give full control to the mods of the forum. the reason i say i will pay for it my self is because i would like to give something back to the group who has welcomed me in.

That's very thoughtful and generous of you. The chat room we did have, we did have separate rooms, so that's not the issue. There are a few mods we can look at that shouldn't cost us anything. What we are trying to do is to weight the effort it would take to implement and maintain one of them, depending on how much it would get used.

We will talk to our webmaster, Packey, and see what he can come up with.

Thanks for the offer, we do appreciate it. Thumbsup Thumbsup We'll keep you all posted on what we can do with the least impact of the forum, since some mods can cause things to be unstable, just like the one we used to have, and is now unsupported.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and