Freelance 2013-3
I am opening a new topic to cover the migration of my layout from rural to urban based scenery.
The urban freelance ISL shall be located "somewhere" where green vegetation is mostly present (e.g. from Wisconsin to Georgia) and the timeframe should be kept flexible between 1975 and today.
That should permit a lot of different scenarios by exchanging street and rail cars and locomotives only.

A short review of the steps done already but covered in the old thread of Freelance 2012 (MAW)

It started with an older industry at the front track of the east industry
[Image: IMG_2764_zps1522a511.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2736_zps56e8362f.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2737_zps491e3bbb.jpg]

Next step was the revitalization of an older structure placed at the west industry lead. It got a nice gate too.
[Image: IMG_2763_zpsf1e28176.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2747_zps632f0834.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2765_zps20f1e0ae.jpg]

Current project is an industry at the rear track of the east industry.
[Image: IMG_2759_zpsc4d427b2.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2760_zps52a2180b.jpg]

And an overview of all buildings forming the east industry
[Image: IMG_2761_zps2ad42e61.jpg]

I will proceed from here reporting the ongoing transition into an urban ISL.
Reinhard
All wonderful photos Reinhard! I am in awe of scenes like the chain link gate. Thumbsup
Reinhard

That fenced spur still looks like a good place for some private varnish getting ready for an Amtrak trip. And as President of your MR you can take it out for a spin whenever you want!
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
Ralph, thank you
Andy, I assume the two industries served by that track would be not so glad to find it blocked

btw. I do not have any passenger cars. they are far to long for my layout and my tight curves. That would look terrible.
Reinhard
Once again you pulled it off. It is a great transformation again. Just waiting for those chop nosed early geeps tp make an enterance. when I saw the images, my mind said Intermountains new GP10.s would be so perfect to the scenes. Great job and love the detail in it.
Painkiller Wrote:... my mind said Intermountains new GP10.s would be so perfect to the scenes. ....
I am desperate waiting for them and have some on pre order. Bad news is they will be delayed. Original availability was planned for end of this year and slipped now to June next year.
I assume Intermountain suffered from the flooding badly. They posted a photo on Facebook with a boat in the water on it's way to their building.....
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:Andy, I assume the two industries served by that track would be not so glad to find it blocked

btw. I do not have any passenger cars. they are far to long for my layout and my tight curves. That would look terrible.

OK Reinhard your layout can't handle 85' cars. A short business car (<60') about same size as a 3 bay covered hopper could easily be run on your layout. And have it pulled by your favorite engine of the day!
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
faraway Wrote:
Painkiller Wrote:... my mind said Intermountains new GP10.s would be so perfect to the scenes. ....
I am desperate waiting for them and have some on pre order. Bad news is they will be delayed. Original availability was planned for end of this year and slipped now to June next year.
I assume Intermountain suffered from the flooding badly. They posted a photo on Facebook with a boat in the water on it's way to their building.....

Yeah, the previous look on your layout and the Iowa Interstate paint on them got me order them too...
Reinhard;

Watching you make all these changes, it's no wonder that I can't settle on a final plan for my own layout!

Seriously, it's more than a little inspiring to watch the work you do and how quickly you make what are often major changes and achieve such realistic results. I too am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Paducah Geeps, having seen them on the IC/ICG more times than I can count and watched the evolution from the GP-8 to GP-10 and finally the GP-11. I plan on getting an IC version with the "frog eye" headlights as those were always my favorites.

Great going and will continue to follow your thread(s) daily for more inspiration.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
The east industry got a penthouse and I did cleanup the former grass and shrubs ground under the east side industry buildings. What a mess Sad
The roof needs more attention and details. That plain gray "something" is simply boring.
[Image: IMG_2769_zps92353aeb.jpg]

We must not forget to migrate small town USA when we move into an urban area.

The four "City Classic" kits arrived today. I think it is best to do the fronts first and assemble the buildings later. Anyhow it will be a real challenge to paint the window frames ....
[Image: IMG_2768_zpsd0ab5b0f.jpg]
Reinhard
Thumbsup Cheers
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Rainhard,
I'm pleased to see the permanent change in your layouts. The beginning of a new urban scenery is a great idea! We look forward to see your next steps.
Great work!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
That completes the rear building of the east industry.

[Image: IMG_2772_zps90d282d7.jpg]

ps. The old building partially visible at the right needs a refresher too.
Reinhard
Street and railcars have been swapped to support "Conrail time". May be this kind of structures match that time better then the present time.
[Image: IMG_2773_zpse173e727.jpg]

Two boxes of Walthers science master box vans have been transplanted on to former Athearn F880 flatbeds chassis to soften the lack of small trucks for delivery services in an urban scenario in that timeframe.
[Image: IMG_2774_zpsb79989c6.jpg]
Reinhard
The first front wall got it's basic paint job. The window frames made it better than expected!
[Image: IMG_2775_zpsbde3bd93.jpg]

Three hours later, that was one of my best (window frame) painting days ever Big Grin
[Image: IMG_2776_zps5240e5f6.jpg]
with a black wash on the layout
[Image: IMG_2777_zps720d559d.jpg]

I have all books from Lance Mindenheim and visit his web page frequent. But this scenery woke up a little devil in my head and I got all the photos from Peter Feigenbaums web page (http://www.peterfeigenbaum.com/gallery/i...m=model-rr) on my computer (for reference purposes only.... Icon_twisted).
Reinhard