model automobiles
Perhaps I've mentioned this before, but is anyone else missing good north american quality automobiles in HO (or other scales)?

What the likes of Herpa, Athearn, Wiking and many more seem to miss are models of ordinary cars, build anywhere between 1970 and 2000.
The majority of cars are modern or transition era, and with that they are usually top of the range or otherwise desirable cars in many cases.
I want to model the ordinary, as will probably most every one else, to make your scenes look realistic. I need chevy caprice classics, lincoln towncars, saturns, Acuras, Toyota camry , etc etc. Not Dodge Vipers, Mercedes SL500, Ferrari F360, BMW X5 , not to mention an endless variety of company variations on the same Ford F150 pick up truck, or bright coloured truck+ trailers with a variety of company logos.

Where are the ordinary cars, the older pick up trucks, non descript trucks and trailers .

I know that the manufactures cater to collectors, and they tend to release current models but surely a rerun of some of the older models (updated with modern detailing) would be great. There is also an overwhelming variety of European manufacturer models, and much less north american car industry , that will need to change for those modeling US/Canadian outline.

Anyone with influence at the manufacturers reading this? Thanks very much.

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
I suffer under the same problem. It is very hard to find plain standard cars build after 1970 and earlier than 2000. The same is true for smaller trucks. 18 wheelers are made in all brands and colors but smaller ones... only two Athearn.
Reinhard
The whole industry lacks in automotive related models regardless of the time frame. We also lack the less expensive models that would look great from a distance. I could use lots of these but I am not about to lay out 10 bucks each for a 10 cent plastic pressing. Many of these can be found in the dollar stores but they are of the newer models.
I remember as a kid there was a company that sold rubber molds that you could use to make plaster of Paris cars and they sold axles and wheels you could use in the castings, then all you had to do was paint them. I had a set of the molds and I wish I had them today, they would be just exactly what I need.
Charlie
Compared to N scale, HO has a parking lot full of options....
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
:o Wink Icon_twisted I have had this problem for e v e r !
Manufacturers will only produce what THEY think will sell....it's ll about "big profit" Icon_twisted

I finally gave up on the idea that cars, or trucks, or much of anything I wanted will ever be manufactured sooooooo......

With careful selection of an existing body style, "close enough for government work", and a careful application of "build-up panels of sheet styrene, an bit of filing, sanding, filling, ( repeat process again, until the desired is achieved )

.................................. POOF !!!!! Cheers Cheers .....................................

just like magic it appears, a reasonable facsimile of a 1971 Dodge Challenger R/T, Bright Blue Metallic, w/ black vinyl roof.

Just enough " profit that manufacturers will not get from me " to make the whole experience enjoyable !! 2285_

We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I just try to model a railway that's so successful that nobody needed to buy a car.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Very nice challenger it is too, well done :-)

Even so, that's a car not everybody could afford, and the owner of that would have been admired by his (car minding) neighbours.
Even more so if your layout is set in the '90's or 2000's, that would now be a restored classic :-)

Athearn however is now going through a push of releasing locomotives that would be found in the next transition era, from 1st gen to 2nd gen power and beyond, I would imagine they would release car models that would fit their trains....

Anyone of Athearn listening in?
As for detailing, I want well detailed models, the not so detailed ones are good for background use on larger layouts (perhaps if you can place them 3 to 4 feet or more away from the layout edge) , but shelf layouts, modules and other small designs do not have enough depth to be able to use those convincingly without instantly 'shouting' MODEL!

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->