Trains on this day in the past:
Eastbound Conrail manifest with CNW power. East Palestine, Ohio. March 1977.     Charlie
3/1/2017

3/3/2016

Winchester & Western at Vineland, NJ, 3/3/09.

Bruce

3/3/1979 pacing the Crescent northbound.      Charlie
Nice to have a spot where the road parallels the track, and a driver who can maintain the pace.  Thumbsup Thumbsup

However, if I hadn't seen that picture, I'd certainly question that weathering job if it were on an HO scale model E-unit...who'da thunk that you'd get bow-wave type weathering that pronounced, and from both sets of trucks, too!

Wayne
(03-03-2021, 04:13 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: Nice to have a spot where the road parallels the track, and a driver who can maintain the pace.  Thumbsup Thumbsup

However, if I hadn't seen that picture, I'd certainly question that weathering job if it were on an HO scale model E-unit...who'da thunk that you'd get bow-wave type weathering that pronounced, and from both sets of trucks, too!

Wayne

The story behind this photo starts with a move on the Southern Railroad by the Royal Hudson, 2839. We were waiting for it to show southbound when we got a heads-up that they were waiting for people that were on a late arriving Crescent. There is a nice stretch along here so we proceeded to the other end of the straight stretch hoping to pace the Crescent which had just came under Amtraks wings but was still Southern powered. The video is great but I never got a copy, and the fellow that took the video just recently passed away. We got to 70 MPH and the engineers side had 3 people watching us. When the 2839 showed up we did the same thing in reverse but at an even faster pace because they removed the speed limit (or turned a blind eye) trying to gain back some time.     
Those were wild and crazy days.
Winchester and Western running thru Millville, NJ on 3/4/16.

Bruce

Good Morning. Bruce, that is a great photo. 
My contribution for the day. 3/4/1978, Amtrak train 41 at New Waterford, Ohio.      Charlie
Leaving the Chessie New Castle yard. March 1979     Charlie
Thanks Charlie, I'm still amazed by your photo collection. Applause Applause

Winslow, NJ, March 1993.

Bruce

We seldom see brake shoe smoke today with the high horsepower dynamic braking locomotives but 44 years ago the air brake was the main braking factor for a train.  The brakes are releasing now but an application was made 2 miles back to slow down for the curves and down hill grade as the train entered East Palestine from the west. March 6, 1977.      Charlie
3/7/2014---Kinnear Yard.

3/8/2016---Bayview

3/8/2016. East Palestine, Ohio      Charlie