Trains on this day in the past:
A consist of PC and Reading units head a mixed freight toward Conway on Jan. 2, 1977. The Oriental theater is long gone.    

Charlie
That's a crisp looking shot..and I wasn't referring to the weather! Smile Thumbsup
Jan 4, 1977, I think this was the only time I saw an RS3 running on the Fort Wayne line. I am sure there were plenty at one time, but I never saw them.
And it was cold too.         
Charlie
I have been out of luck with pictures for the day, until today.
A little mishap in the early days of Conrail. Picked a point Smith crossover.    
Charlie
The RS3 was a real treat! "Ouch" on the derailment!
1978 was as cold and bitter as 1977. An eastbound mixed freight  through East Palestine, Jan, 15. 3:30 pm, and little light left in the day    
Charlie
Hey Charlie,, check out the truck under the long hood of the RS-3. If you look at the spacing between the walkway and the brake cylinder you'll see that the outboard axle is riding a bit lower than the other. Looks like she has a bit of wheel wear on that axle, wonder if there was a problem with the wheel slip on the motor?

Our F-3b has the same problem on the #2 axel (second from the left)     It is much more evident in a straight on side shot, but you can still see it in this pic.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
3 PM on January 16, 1977. The temperature is zero and there are dummies out takin' pictures.  Eastbound truck train at East Palestine.    
Charlie
January 19, 1978. Cleaning the points.    
Charlie
That one makes me glad I work inside. Smile
Amtrak's westbound Broadway limited, running 8 hours late. Sebring, Ohio. 1/22/1978    
Charlie
Eight hours late....That's almost on time for 1978 :o .
You don't happen to know who the original owner of the E-unit was ???
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
I did a little research based on the number 427 and came up with this: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2416593">http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2416593</a><!-- m -->

Seems its a former UP E9.
In January, 1977 there were still many units yet to be patched. I caught this westbound with two originals 37 years ago.    
Charlie
January of 1978 was a bad month for everyone as far as cold weather and snow but Amtrak was really troubled by it. They were still using steam to heat the Broadway and with temperatures dropping to 20 and 25 below zero the steam lines were freezing and the passengers were cold.
This is train #41 running 7 hours late with a fairly new F40PH on the head end. The E's still try to provide steam heat as well as power.

Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)