Trains on this day in the past:
e-paw Wrote:Eight hours late....That's almost on time for 1978 :o .
You don't happen to know who the original owner of the E-unit was ???

Ralph Wrote:I did a little research based on the number 427 and came up with this: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2416593">http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2416593</a><!-- m -->

Seems its a former UP E9.

My books "Amtrak By The Numbers" and "Amtrak Annual 1978-1979" say it was UP 953, rather than UP 954, but the other data in the photo description seems to be consistent.

This is why I enjoy modeling Amtrak (and to an extent, NJ DOT as well), since almost everything it runs came from somewhere else. It exposes you to trains and histories that one might not necessarily encounter on my own.

Charlie B Wrote:In January, 1977 there were still many units yet to be patched. I caught this westbound with two originals 37 years ago.
Charlie

The same thing applies to these Conrail diesels. Each of them had slightly different details that even if they were repainted, would give away their original ownership. I have an ex EL-SD45, and I'd love to do an Ex-Reading SD45, which will be especially challenging due to their bi-directional cabs ( a challenge that has prevented me from attempting an ex-PRSL GP38 as well).

Charlie B Wrote:January of 1978 was a bad month for everyone as far as cold weather and snow but Amtrak was really troubled by it. They were still using steam to heat the Broadway and with temperatures dropping to 20 and 25 below zero the steam lines were freezing and the passengers were cold.
This is train #41 running 7 hours late with a fairly new F40PH on the head end. The E's still try to provide steam heat as well as power.
Charlie

Do you know if any of those E8s were the demotorized Steam heat variety? These would have been numbered between 660 and 676 (though prior to 1977 some were int he 1900 series).

The reason I ask is that many of these units ran out west, so it would be unusual to see them here. On the other hand, trains like the Empire builder needed two steam heaters, and I have a photo of a pair of F40PHs hauling an E8A and E9B, which had been demotored and used exclusively as heating cars.

The full Broadway Limited looks like a train long enough that it might need those two heaters (then again, the normal consist had at least three E=-units anyway).

Either way, cool pics!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
I never saw one of the unpowered E8's through here. The Broadway was underpowered with only 3 powered E's until it got to my area where it was running the flat terrain.
Charlie
On this day in 1978 we were experiencing one of the worst blizzards in history in eastern Ohio <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Blizzard_of_1978">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Blizzard_of_1978</a><!-- m -->
Conrail tried to keep the railroad open by running trains. Here we have an eastbound at East Palestine, Oh. in the early afternoon.    
Being a lot younger, I went out later that evening and saw the first snow plow I had ever seen working through here. I heard on the radio they were going to stop in Enon Valley for a supper break so I got these rather poor pictures while the plow and locomotive were sitting.            
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

Did you have to post those pics Nope Nope Nope I had enough snow for this year... :?
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
e-paw Wrote:Did you have to post those pics Nope Nope Nope I had enough snow for this year... :?
More to come this week end....and I don't have to go clean switches.
Charlie
Were those class lights lit as green?
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:Were those class lights lit as green?
No it is just the color shift of the film
Charlie
You get high marks for standing out in the cold to take those pics back then!
Ralph Wrote:You get high marks for standing out in the cold to take those pics back then!
I just didn't have good sense. Goldth
Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:
Ralph Wrote:You get high marks for standing out in the cold to take those pics back then!
I just didn't have good sense. Goldth
Charlie

Hey, I wish I lacked the good sense! When you think about it, you have a rare perspective with these photographs, as all the good sense people would have just tried to stay at home. It is the path less travelled, or in this case, the view rarely seen.
It was bad on January 29th, 1977 as witnessed by this eastbound at East Palestine.     and a westbound at the same location.    
It was even worse on this day in 1978. This was Haggerty Road Near New Galilee, Pa.     with a helper on the rear.      Charlie
Charlie,, you didn't happen to get the # of the LV unit... I tried to blow it up to see, but it's just too blurry.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
e-paw Wrote:Charlie,, you didn't happen to get the # of the LV unit... I tried to blow it up to see, but it's just too blurry.
I just happened to get the number....    
Charlie
Awesome Set of pictures! That U23B was one of the newer locomotives on Conrail, built 11/74. It would be renumbered 2779 in a few months from this photo, but it would wear its patch for at least a little while.

There was only one other group of pure Conrail U23Bs built, the last U-boats built period.

Indeed, This U-boat still exists, and is owned by Vulcan Materials (VULX).

The GP35 with it, #2255, also had an interesting life. It was a PRR unit, and late in its Conrail career became an Operation Lifesaver "dummy", used in a PR campaign to ram a car on a crossing. To do this, the "guts" of the engine were removed, and its fuel tank filled with concrete. It apparently has been traded in and rebuilt into a Genset switcher of some kind.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ns3010.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1628379">http://www.ns3010.rrpicturearchives.net ... id=1628379</a><!-- m -->
I think it was 30 on a detour. I'm not sure without looking at the original slide, and they are now put away. I will just remove the picture.