Hi scenery fans
Hi all

Just wanted to let you know that I am subbing in for Deano as co-moderator of the forum for awhile. I've been reading through all the posts, and there is some great stuff here!!! Trying to post responses to all, and about 1/4 of the way so far.

Scenery is one of my favourite parts of the hobby, and although my layout is mostly industrial/urban, I find there are still places where a little bit of scenery goes a long way.

Here's a couple of pix from my layout, by way of introduction. Smile

[Image: alley.jpg]

This is a very early scene from several years ago. If you look closely at the foreground tree, you'll see it's just set there and not really planted. I ended up re-arranging this scene when I expanded the layout.

[Image: crane.jpg]

Another scene that is no more. I like to model grass and weeds with a fair bit of dried earth showing. It gives it that urban flavour of weeds struggling against great odds! On my lawn their odds are a lot better... Icon_lol

Here's a couple of more recent shots. Even though my layout is set in the city, there are some "waste" areas that make for scenic opportunities.

[Image: curve2.jpg]

[Image: curve3.jpg]

[Image: weeds.jpg]

I used Scenic Express grass mats here and I must say that they are excellent. I don't like the mats that have weeds and flowers already added -- I think they're too dense, so I prefer to add my own.

Here's a small residential section in progress, by day and then later on in the early evening.

[Image: houses_sm.jpg]

[Image: house_night.jpg]

Well, that's all the pix I have at the moment. It's great to be aboard the Scenic express!

cheers
Val
Great Pics Val!! Thumbsup Thumbsup

I like how you "planted" weeds and grass at the base of that tree in the first pic, thats very cool!! Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Super nice job.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Val, wonderful scenes! Nice to see those beautiful pics again.
Kurt
Great stuff Val Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
The "patchy" weeds look sweet and the last pic is a knock-out!
Steve
Hi Val,
Thanks for posting the pictures, They are great.
The one that shows the duplex house with two different dormers and front porches instantly caught my eye.
I go to an old mining town south of here once a month and plan on taking photos of many of the houses that are duplexes and each half has its own decorating. It never occurred to me that some folks own half a home, much like condominiums .
The homes are very well kept and would make very interesting models. I'll post some pictures when I get them.
Charlie
Many thanks for the kind comments folks!! Smile Smile

Val
Charlie B Wrote:Hi Val,
Thanks for posting the pictures, They are great.
The one that shows the duplex house with two different dormers and front porches instantly caught my eye.
I go to an old mining town south of here once a month and plan on taking photos of many of the houses that are duplexes and each half has its own decorating. It never occurred to me that some folks own half a home, much like condominiums .
The homes are very well kept and would make very interesting models. I'll post some pictures when I get them.
Charlie

Charlie, that's a scratchbuild. Most of the houses in my old neighbourhood were of that kind -- here we call them "semi-detached" which I think must be real-estate speak for "attached" LOL!!! Over the years I've seen lots of houses that were completely different on either side, and I always wanted to model them. I now wish that I had made another at the same time, as it wouldn't have been that much more work.

By the way, where's "here"? Looking forward to seeing the pix.

cheers
Val
[
By the way, where's "here"? Looking forward to seeing the pix.

cheers
Val[/quote]
Val, "Here" is beautiful downtown Schenley, Pa. current population of 54. <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.kiskijunction.com">www.kiskijunction.com</a><!-- w -->
The town I go to is Windber, Pa., about 90 miles southeast of here.
Charlie
I'm always jealous...I mean....Love your work Val.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
The semi looks like a neighbourhood I used to live in as well -- "north of the Danforth".
Do you have time to mod, Val? Aren't you back at work, trying to cram knowledge in in half the time?
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:The semi looks like a neighbourhood I used to live in as well -- "north of the Danforth".
Do you have time to mod, Val? Aren't you back at work, trying to cram knowledge in in half the time?

Hi David

I'm back to work on Monday and Wednesday for 3 weeks wrapping up the Fall term. Then a week off and into the Winter term. Meanwhile, I'm already well into the winter term at Sheridan College, the other place I teach. There was no strike at Sheridan.

Toronto has many neighbourhoods with that kind of house, including the Beaches, Davisville area, and my old neighbourhood, which is the same as yours: north of Danforth. Smile

Charlie, now that's what I call a small town!!!

Ed, thanks!

cheers
Val
Great scenery technique, very nice camera angle. Well done Val.
Are the trees on the 3rd picture super-trees from scenic express ?

About the low relief brick structure next to the truck ( 2nd picture ) , is it scratchbuilt or from a modular Walthers or DPM kit ?

I always thought that semi-detached houses have 1 common sidewall ?

Jacques
Biased turkey Wrote:Great scenery technique, very nice camera angle. Well done Val.
Are the trees on the 3rd picture super-trees from scenic express ?

About the low relief brick structure next to the truck ( 2nd picture ) , is it scratchbuilt or from a modular Walthers or DPM kit ?

I always thought that semi-detached houses have 1 common sidewall ?

Jacques

Hi Jacques, thanks for the comments!

The trees in the 3rd pic are from various different sources. Some are really cheap Scenemaster trees which I then stick WS Finescale Foliage into, some of the foreground trees were kind of pricey (especially the birch on the left). I didn't use any of the Scenic Express trees becuase they don't carry those at my LHS.

The low-relief building is from City Classics - add-ons for their Smallman St warehouse.

Yes, you're right about the semi's. Common center wall.

cheers
Val
Quote:The one that shows the duplex house with two different dormers and front porches instantly caught my eye.

If you go back to "the olde place", there's a thread on how it was made.

Val, you accomplish the things I strive for, and too often miss. There is a (for want of better descriptives ), "very natural placement of all the details". Whether in photos, or viewed in person, there is superb composition. I never tire of seeing your work.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!