Wisconsin - Board manufacturer
I was search the net for ideas for my new layout (when and if I move house) and came across this.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?expflags=...B&hl=en_uk

You tube vid

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0s3rpSzWmpY

I think they are a plywood manufacturer, would make a nice industry, logs in and finished board out in box cars.

The bridge over the river is a nice touch also, I am not sure but it looks like a 3 way point coming off the bridge.
That was a former part of the Soo Line/Wisconsin Central/Wisconsin Northern railroads which I ran for Progressive Rail about ten years ago.
The logs were brought in by rail to manufacture golf clubs which were then shipped out by truck. The shipments were sporadic and Birchwood no longer receieves anything by rail.
Back in the Soo Line days of the 60s/70s there was additional business on the line including LP gas, outbound cheese/butter from a creamery just north of this plant, inbound coal for the creamery's fuel, and covered hoppers of seasonal fertilizer and plastic pellets. The Soo Line used to shove all the way (7 miles) from Cameron (Jct. with the mainline) to Rice Lake, caboose first to make switching easier. But alas times change and so do the railroads.
The creamery closed in the 80s and away went the cheese/butter and coal. The LP gas went to truck and so did the logs.The track in Rice Lake which the Wisconsin Northern leased from CN has been taken back by CN not for local customers but to reach huge frac sand (think oil drilling ) facilities which now load out 50 and 100 car unit trains on heavy re-built track. The only time that CN comes up to Rice lake is when they must to service a small plastics plant or a few cars of fertilizer.

So what look's like a neat industry to model switched by a small short line is no more but that doesn't mean you can't you can't model it.

Barry, who has railroaded for 15 roads in 47 years.
Hi Barry,

Thanks for the information, I think I must have got confused by the upload date of the video which is 2010, but like you say no reason I still can't model it.

The given the plastic firm and the fertilizer there are enough industries to string to together a small layout loosely based on the area.
Logs in can equal plywood, fibreboard, OSB and MDF going out on center spine cars.

If that doesn't appeal then covered hoppers filled with gypsum, tank cars fill with adhesives and box cars carrying large rolls of heavy kraft paper come in and drywall goes out on those same center beams. 8-)
MountainMan Wrote:Logs in can equal plywood, fibreboard, OSB and MDF going out on center spine cars.

If that doesn't appeal then covered hoppers filled with gypsum, tank cars fill with adhesives and box cars carrying large rolls of heavy kraft paper come in and drywall goes out on those same center beams. 8-)

Just a thought but if they are manufacturing wood products, in this case producing Plywood, would they generate wood chips, so need the odd wood chip hopper to take these away?
Did a bit more digging and found the website of the company:

http://www.bessegroup.com/public/compani...od_man.php

Which got me thinking, would they also end up producing waste wood chips and bark from the debarking process that would need removing from the site for use else where, bio energy, etc?
These days, waste wood chips and bark are usually used to generate heat and power for the plant itself.

However, wood chips go to make OSB and other manufactured wood products, so they might get shipped to another plant for that. And I almost forgot, but manufactured lumber is a growing item in the marketplace, especially for outdoor decking. That's sawdust and a lot of adhesives and plasticizers coming in, and centerbeams loaded with "lumber" going out.
Just as information the mill by products and inbound chemicals are shipped entirely by truck since they are not suffecient tonnage or distance to economically require rail movement.

Barry
BOK Wrote:Just as information the mill by products and inbound chemicals are shipped entirely by truck since they are not suffecient tonnage or distance to economically require rail movement.

Barry

Barry,I suppose that may depend on the size of the operation..I agree the smaller plants would be truck served but,larger concerns would use rail for economy.Also if there is a line up of tank trucks they can charge a hourly fee for waiting and it takes time to unload a tank trailer..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
According to the Modeler's Golden rule, it's your layout so it's up to you how things are shipped. If you want the plant to be supplied by rail, then it will be.

Avoid the habit of talking yourself out of something, and get in the habit of doing what you want.
What many of you don't know because you probably haven't worked for a railroad is that it is often tough, dirty, thankless work and what appears to be a fun part of a hobby, isn't. I am a railroader and have been for 47 years along with also being a modeler. After a tough week it's sometimes hard to get excited about the industry as a hobby. I thought i could add something of value to the conversation about the history of the line and industry but I probably should have stayed clear of it as it was not a positive experience.
The wood mill that you folks are currently discussing was a very difficult, time consuming place to switch, on the Wisconsin Northern (it was reached off the former main via a switch back which only held three car lengths) and the revenue was low ( when you are a struggling, short line you take any business) with absolutely no future for growth. We worked hard to try and get more business but the trucks beat us out and the company didn't really care about growing the rail side. It became a no-win situation as hard as we tried and the good service we provided they just played us against the truckers in order to get lower freight rates and then stopped taking cars.
Well, now you know why this would be the last industry I would model but having provided more information than many would care about I do look forward to seeing what creative modelers on this site can do with it.

Barry
Well, now you know why this would be the last industry I would model but having provided more information than many would care about I do look forward to seeing what creative modelers on this site can do with it.

Barry
--------------------------------------
The sad part is most major railroads dump these smaller business years ago by giving them crappy service even though the company may have needed rail service.

So,I agree that such a small industry would cost more to switch then its worth unless your a lean and hungry short line that goes after every car load.Also I will point out for every industry a short line looses they must scramble to find a replacement.

However in our HO world we tend to use industries that would be best truck served because the industry is far to small and looks like a 53' trailer would over whelm their receiving dock yet,we spot a 40 or 50 foot boxcar at their way to small dock or we spot a 54' covered hopper at a silo to small to hold the load.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:However in our HO world we tend to use industries that would be best truck served because the industry is far to small and looks like a 53' trailer would over whelm their receiving dock yet,we spot a 40 or 50 foot boxcar at their way to small dock or we spot a 54' covered hopper at a silo to small to hold the load.

Well said... I had exactly the same thought a few months ago when I was looking at my oil dealer. Icon_lol

@Barry: sad truth... I know two folks who recently started running a short line. They are always trying to expand their client base which isn't easy at all... and they have to fight city councils that want to get rid of the rail and ask ridiculous measures. No wonder the big railroads got out of there decades ago.

When I analyzed my prototype for my layout, it was so obvious the rail-service decayed: were there was over 20 clients in the 50s, only about 10 remained in the 70s. Nowadays, only 2 survive. Not enough to bother making a layout out of it!

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Sorry, guys that I was a little too direct on my comments about short lines and industries. Please continue to post great ideas and plans for realistic layouts as you are very creative.

Barry
BOK Wrote:Sorry, guys that I was a little too direct on my comments about short lines and industries. Please continue to post great ideas and plans for realistic layouts as you are very creative.

Barry

Barry,Such information is very important for those emulating the prototype in operation and wanting to build a realistic layout and without these tidbits of information many would be clueless.

While books are good for general information they don't cover the real world of railroading as we know it to be.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry