The Solution Is A Solution
I bought all new Microengineering code 55 pre weathered flextrack and bright shiny new medium ((#5) turnouts. I was worried how I was going to match the factory weathering on the flextrack , then I discovered the solution was in the form of a solution...Microengineering Rail Weathering Solution...[img]     [/img]

At the top is pre weathered flextrack ...in the middle shiny new turnout...and on the bottom a turnout weathered with solution...

Just a little dive in the blue stuff. And up to 100 or so seconds...the longer the darker, and presto!, new becomes old...

Attached Files Image(s)

Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
Looks like it does a great job.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I wasn't familiar with the product but it sure seems to do the trick!! Thumbsup
Do you have a little pan or something that you put the solution and turnout in?
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Yeah Mike it does do pretty good. Trick is not running off to get a beer while the track is in the pool..things get pretty dark pretty quick !

I'd never heard of the stuff either Ralph until I was at the LHS whining to the guy about the turnouts not coming weathered...when he showed me this stuff at $10 a pint...seein' as how I've been known to spend more than that on pints of other solutions in the past, Cheers , I figured I'd give it a whirl!

It's a pretty simple process David. Dilute the stuff however you want, I did 3 parts water to 1 in a disposable baking tin from the kitchen. You can reuse the stuff many times, although it does get weaker after each use. Time in the pool depends on how strong the water is and how dark you want the rails to look. It will get virtually black in less than 2 minutes.. Once out submersed in clean water and rinse well and dry well. In the above picture the left halve was in for about 60 seconds and the right halve for 1 minute...once it starts to darken, you gotta pay attention as things happen pretty fast....kinda like it used to be with that other solution I was talking about earlier Cheers

Quick, easy, no fumes , use gloves and get small funnel to pour solution with....I like it....

Uh..edit to post the right halve of the turnout was for 60 seconds and the left halve was for 90 seconds...note to self ....better do the other 24 outside in the fresh air... Wink
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191