NWSL Gearbox issue?
OK, I finally got my first NWSL gearbox and started assembling tonight. I've set the worm on the shaft, installed the bearings, added grease and test fit it in the gearbox and turns nice and freely. However, when I add the idler there seems to be binding. I've been able to work some of the tightness out but it seems to come back after about 3/4's of a turn. Is this normal and the tightness works itself out on it's own or should everything be turning without effort when first assembled? My feeling it's the later but I have no comparison. Any thoughts?

Mark Wallbang
Mark, I've found that new NWSL gearboxes sometimes need a bit of " breaking in ". I usually get them "assembled, and ready to run", and instead of lubricant, I fill the gearbox with Clorox 'mild abrasive' Soft Scrub, and then run at "medium speed", for about twenty minutes. The abrasive in the Soft Scrub polishes the gear's meshing surfaces, and helps get smoother, quieter, performance. Thoroughly wash out the gearbox/gears, dry, and then lube after the "break-in period".
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Spoke with Dave at NWSL today and he told me the same thing about the gearboxes are already assembled, so who knows how long this was on the shelf at the LHS. (LHS still has a phone in it that has a dial on it and when you talk about the internet they're eyes glass over) Anyway he told me to send this gearbox back to him and he'll send me one that works. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Kinda bummed though because I wanted to get this project rolling.

Mark