A personal anniversary
e-paw Wrote:I don't remember when I joined the first Gauge, I think it was 07 ish. I didn't post much there as it became "Z" I got more active, but now I'm here and it's a good place to be.
Yup, you're right, it was: Mar 16, 2007. We're glad you didn't give up on us though. It's a shame what they did to our old home, but we can thank them for basically forcing us to do what we did, and we're proud of the results.

Mr Fixit Wrote:I am just glad I found Big Blue here in its current format. I [and lots of others] just dont need all that garbage that went on elsewhere. 35 Wallbang Curse
There are some very talented modellers here, who are more than happy to share not only examples of their creative works but their techniques, succeesses and failures, ideas and dreams.
It's a good place to be.

Mark
Thanks Mark, we do have a lot of talented and friendly people here, and we're pleased that we can add you to that group as well. Welcome
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I joined when everyone left zealot, I thought it was something I said...
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
tomustang Wrote:I joined when everyone left zealot, I thought it was something I said...

You joined us at the old place on Dec 7, 2007 but didn't post much there. I think that was about the time they started screwing around with us big time, so I don't blame you..

FYI, Peter T. Davis, the guy that put the whole Zealot thing together, told us later that he did regret doing that. Curse Unlike other marriages that you can get a divorce from if you're not happy, once you marry four forums together, there's no way of undoing it. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Stuff happens Goldth

Glad I got to be a part of it somehow Thumbsup
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Mr Fixit Wrote:There are some very talented modellers here, who are more than happy to share not only examples of their creative works but their techniques, succeesses and failures, ideas and dreams.It's a good place to be. Mark

Mark, I think that pretty much sums up what it is that makes this board so different, and so comfortable to be at. It is one of those rare places where the "importance", is more about teaching, helping, new, and old modelers, ( I have learned more than just a little here ), to improve our skills, and to be able to openly share the benefits of what we have learned here.

I'll take this opportunity to offer a huge THANK YOU to the members of this board for their respectful comments, and valuable lessons. To grow, all things must be nurtured.......and this board has been, and will continue to be a nurturing environment.
Another huge THANK YOU, to Mikey and Don, and my fellow moderators, for the time they take to keep the quality of this, Big Blue, consistently high.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:...THANK YOU, to Mikey and Don, and my fellow moderators, for the time they take to keep the quality of this, Big Blue, consistently high.

Shucks, t'wern't nuthin'.... :oops: :oops: As you well know, it's easy to do this when you have good people coming here. There's one word that comes to mind that describes what everyone here has....RESPECT.... Loose that for each other and you have chaos, fighting, sniping, degrading and generally poor manners that create an atmosphere that is not fun to be around. Nope Five years of peace and contentment on Big Blue; it would be nice if some national leaders throughout the world would take notice and follow suite.... Icon_lol
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:Five years of peace and contentment on Big Blue; it would be nice if some national leaders throughout the world would take notice and follow suite.... Icon_lol

We would have to make them model railroaders first Icon_twisted , before that could happen Wink Cheers
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:Five years of peace and contentment on Big Blue; it would be nice if some national leaders throughout the world would take notice and follow suite.... Icon_lol

We would have to make them model railroaders first Icon_twisted , before that could happen Wink Cheers

You're right of course, but do you know what that will do to cost if all these guys decide to jump in the hobby? As the demand goes up, so does the prices. I think maybe we should get them started on scratchbuilding with card stock or something that won't affect us financially. Icon_lol But, think about it, if the whole word was a peace, you probably wouldn't mind that all your cars and locos were being made off-shore. Nope

Aside from that, we could turn the UN building into one giant layout. We could have the first 20 or so floors dedicated to N scale since it's the most popular and in demand. Big Grin We could split the rest between O and HO and maybe put Z in the basement since it wouldn't take up that much room. Oh, G, well we could dig up the parking lot and turn it into the worlds largest Garden Railroad and add some Live Steamers around the perimeter to get people in and out of the building. 2285_ 2285_ Why waste a perfectly good building? since it wouldn't be needed anymore???? Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Why stop there? Lets make the worlds tallest helix, talk about multi-deck layout. It would be the first skyscraping trainset.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:Why stop there? Lets make the worlds tallest helix, talk about multi-deck layout. It would be the first skyscraping trainset.

Great idea, we could build the helix in one of the elevator shafts. As for funding this, we could get the government to give us just a fraction of what they give the UN right now, a win-win for all. Cheers
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:Why stop there? Lets make the worlds tallest helix, talk about multi-deck layout. It would be the first skyscraping trainset.

Hey just because my name is Mr Fixit, dont expect me to clean and maintain a skyscraping multi-deck helix. Forget it fella. The OH&S paperwork alone will give you RSI and multiple migraine headaches. Wallbang

Has anyone considered the following; what guage? Standard guage, Broad guage, Narrow guage in Cape [3'6"]or Puffing Billy [2'6"].
AC, DC, DCC, analog, digital, two rail, three rail, catenary, rack rail in cable or Abt, mono rail, Maglev, freight rail, passenger rail, High Speed rail, tourist rail, rail trail, horse rail, steam rail, diesel rail, electric rail, nuclear rail[?], mine rail, Underground rail, METRO rail, Siberian rail, ship rail, tram rail, Abandoned rail, right hand running, left hand running, signal standards, signal masts, signal towers, in cab signals, in cab cameras, no in-cab cameras.
Local time, standardised time, scheduled time, extra time, any time? Paper, paperless, pencil, fountain pen, disposable pen, electronic pen, rock-paper- scissors?
Have I forgotten any rail? How are we going to fit all these types of rails and all of the scales in the U.N. Building?
Can we afford the rent? Or is the Global Peace Dividend going to pay for it all? What about the mass unemployment in the global defence forces and global defence industrial complex? Will they hold us model railroaders responsible and picket the building demanding jobs, you know real high paying jobs?

Mark
Maybe the 40* deg C heat has finally got to me.
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Mr Fixit Wrote:...Maybe the 40* deg C heat has finally got to me.
Can we have some of that!?! Goldth
Ralph (frozen in St. Paul, MN)
Ralph Wrote:
Mr Fixit Wrote:...Maybe the 40* deg C heat has finally got to me.
Can we have some of that!?! Goldth
Ralph (frozen in St. Paul, MN)

You're welcome to come here. We won't be in that range for a few months yet, but we do have everyday temps in the 20 to 30°C (68 to 86°F) range. Yeah, we will be in the high 80's by the end of next week. Not quite what they're having "down under", but still pleasant enough. Big Grin

BTW Mark, if we declare ourselves a sovereign country, (remember the movie, The Mouse That Roared?), we should be able to get the funding to keep up with the building maintenance and improvements we'd need. I'm sure that even with the world at peace, the US will still find a way to give financial support to any country that asks. Icon_lol
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Ralph if I could find a way to share say 15 deg with you I would gladly do it.

Don, it is already 30 deg at 8.15 with a hot gusty wind blowing, Yuck.
Yesterday and today are both declared Total Fire Ban Days for the entire State of Victoria.

It is also the fifth anniversary of Black Saturday, when fires killed 173 people and destroyed 2023 homes on the outskirts of Melbourne and in central Victoria.

Are you sure the US government can afford to support itself let alone another charity case?

Mark
Time to go see my boy [9 yo] and his new little [step] brother.
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Thanks for the thought Mark! The kind of stuff shown below is getting kind of old....

[Image: 013_zpsf521ee63.jpg]
[Image: 014_zps742c9551.jpg]