Misconception of 55n3
While looking at my Awstats page on my 55n3 website, I found this on a forum:

"The irony is that now he has the correct track gauge,
but everything else becomes far less accurate because you have to tweak 1/48 and 1/87 models to fit the new scale..

so instead of having very accurate models in 1/48 scale with the wrong gauge,
you now have much less accurate models in 1/55 scale with the correct gauge.."

No, 55n3, uses oversize and undersized components from other scales that measure correctly to Scale55. Just because an object is labeled "HO" doesn't mean it scales to HO. Example:

[Image: ll_stock_pen.jpg]

The Lifelike "HO" stock pen, it is too large for HO and S. It scales right in Scale55.

That is the advantage of 55n3 there are so many things available that are cheap and readily available. Just because it is label a "scale" doesn't mean that it measures out to that "scale".

Everything scales out to a real world object that I display at:

http://www.55n3.info/

It just takes more than opening a box as those in more imaginative endeavors have found. I congratulate all those other odd scale and gaugers.

Thank you if you visit
Harold
This is a good point, mo matter what "scale" someone is modeling. I have found that smaller objects (people, lamp posts, and vehicles) are often too large for the scale they are sold under, and larger objects (factories and structures) are often selectively compressed. Thus, if someone wants a large factory in N-scale, they may consider looking in the HO aisle for something that they can use after they make a few modifications to windows and doors. Likewise, if someone wants street lamps, fences, or mail boxes, they should consider what is available in N scale.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
hminky Wrote:It just takes more than opening a box as those in more imaginative endeavors have found. I congratulate all those other odd scale and gaugers.

You're right, Harold, although I'm sometimes surprised by the lack of imagination displayed by some modellers who can't see beyond the info printed on the box of a kit for a structure or piece of rolling stock, denoting its purpose, or the colour printed on a bottle of paint. Kits are for whatever you make of them, and paints are whatever colour to which you mix them.

Wayne
Harold,

I like what you do.

When something isn't quite right, you keep searching until you get what you are looking for instead of settling for too many compromises.

There are a lot of people in this hobby that fail, or refuse, to grasp the concept of scale and often confuse it with gauge.

If a big corporation tells them that an item is HO scale, then that must be the gospel truth.

Keep up the good fight!
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Toronto, Ontario, Dominion of Canada
Ontario Narrow Gauge Show
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog
" but everything else becomes far less accurate because you have to tweak 1/48 and 1/87 models to fit the new scale.."

Hmmmm, Looks like someone has yet to discover the true meaning of BASH!

or.....

"If I had a nickle for every time I've tweaked". Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Even now in the time of manufacturers printing the actual scale...ie 1/537, or 1/144, there are too often times when you measure the length of the model, compute its scale knowing the actual length of the prototype, and come up with 1/542.5, or 1/146.......not exactly what it was declared to be.

Harold, I've been working in "scale" long enough to be able to clearly see that you've got the sizes, and proportions down, right and proper! Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Speaking of 55n3 Ithink these would fit and be right at home on a 55n3 layout.

ERIE RR

Attached Files Image(s)

And another.

ERIE RR

Attached Files Image(s)