Perth, Ontario -- my Hometown
I lived in Perth until 1959. I have a few pictures of trains at the station.
Perth was on the CPR mainline between Montreal and Toronto, west of Smiths Falls.
These pix were taken with a Brownie and printed as 3x3 snapshots.

2224 eastbound.

4083 on the afternoon passenger to Toronto plus the mail/express car.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
My kind of pictures. Cheers
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Nice pics, David, and interesting bit of history. Cheers, Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
Perth still is on the mainline between Montreal and Toronto... Wink

My parents moved there in Spring 2008, not far from the hospital and the tracks still see about 15 trains a day. With no "no whistle" by-law, and three grade crossings within about 500m of the hospital, it's quite a noisy place to recuperate! Eek Big Grin

Andrew
MasonJar Wrote:Perth still is on the mainline between Montreal and Toronto... Wink

My parents moved there in Spring 2008, not far from the hospital and the tracks still see about 15 trains a day. With no "no whistle" by-law, and three grade crossings within about 500m of the hospital, it's quite a noisy place to recuperate! Eek Big Grin

Andrew

It sounds like a great place to recuperate! Goldth

Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
When I was younger we went to Innisville to fish as many as four times a year. Innisville is about 12 miles North of Perth on Route 7. The fishing was always great, and as kids we always managed to have fun when it wasn't. We met a lot of great folks and became friends that lasted lifetimes. I wasn't into trains until the trips to Innisville had stopped.
We made many trips to Perth while we were in the country and I always was impressed with its atmosphere, I wish I had taken train pictures then too.
When I took my boys to Innisville fishing in 1981 I took them to Carleton Place for the arrival of the Canadian.
Is that the same line that goes through Perth? (I know I can check a map but then no one else would have a reason to post) Do they still use that route for the Passenger trains?
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

Andrew: I think the hospital was (is?) located almost at the tracks on Drummond St, and they curved around behind it.
Charlie: the line through Carleton Place is not the same. The Canadian ran out of Ottawa to Carleton Place and then along the Ottawa River (roughly) towards North Bay. IIRC, There was a line that connected Carleton Place to Smiths Falls and the Toronto-Montreal line. When we went to Ottawa we usually changed at Bedell (Kemptville), although sometimes we changed at Smiths Falls -- not sure why; 6-year-old boys don't get told! Both lines through Carleton Place have been removed.
West of Perth, there were line divided. One line ran south to Kingston and along the lake while the other (Ontario & Quebec Railway) ran parallel to Hwy 7 through Havelock and Peterborough. Most of this line is missing from the junction to Peterborough.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
David,

The hospital is still there, although undoubtedly larger than when first built...

Changing at Bedell would take you through Kemptville on the old Bytown & Prescott - the first railway into the capital. All that remains of the line is a section that comes from Bedell up to about where the old station was. It serves the Agri-west fertilizer plant (and formerly the elevator, which was torn downa couple of years ago... Sad ). I don't think that any tracks go south from Bedell any more, but there may be one industry holdout.

Last time I was at Bedell (a few years now) there was a caboose kept there for the backup moves, since there was no run around available any more.

Andrew
There's also a short piece of the old Bytown & Prescott that goes south to Spencerville Station. It is currently being used to store Soo Line and CPR hoppers. There's always a CP caboose stored at Bedell to take trains down the spur so that the brakeman isn't hanging on to the side of the car all the way.

Currently, the piece of track north of Bedell to the old Highway 16 crossing near the Kemptville Agricultural College is being used to store a large number of CPR boxcars and a few centre-beam lumber flats.

Last summer Bedell was a holding ground for a large MoW crew that was outchanging ties between Montreal and Toronto.

Bob M.