The Minturn, Kings divide & Eastern RR
Hi all, I felt that it has become a lot of changes to my model world . So much so that it required a new layout thread .
It all started with my Middletown, Kensington & Eastern RR that I built for the British RMWEB forum 2010 challenge.
[Image: 6sdpc8.jpg]
A layout that would depict a fictional New England in 1943. Thanks to a move to larger premises etc. I started to build on it, and add on to it a little, but felt that it did not really work ... : (

My good friend and museum owner Peter Haventon offered then to aquire the layout to have at his transportation museum!

What also changed my focus is that I happened to buy a pair of D&RGW narrow gauge " Mudhens " in HOn3 . That " blunder " made me go back to my roots of inspiration; John Allen and Malcolm Furlow!
My first real layout was a Colorado mining railroad built after Furlows style and mindset. It was trafficked with what was available at the time, a Rivarossi Heisler and a number of low side gondolas.
My book about John Allen's Gorre & Daphetid RR ( Gory and defeated ) that I got when I turned 12 was totally worn out when I was 18, so I bought another one!
Now I had an idea! Could I not move my fictional railroad halfway across the continent to Colorado?
I have way too many locomotives and cars with custom company painting to decal and reapint to the new name .....
So if the MK & E could become the Minturn, Kings divide & eastern RR instead?
Minturn is located within the D & RGW's narrow gauge network.
So if my fictitious railroad connects to the narrow gauge in Minturn and then broke new ground to the north east via Kings Peak and then on to Idaho springs and Denver?
Oh, yes!
Then I can have narrow gauge, standard gauge and dual gauge.
I will still use a bit more poetic license and do a port! But it will become a river port!
So now I have the dilemma of taking down the framework I 've worked with.....
But they are easy to modify to my new idea.
The new track plan is basically a copy of the G & D! However with some modifications to suit the space given.
What was given as well was that there will be mountains from floor to ceiling!
[Image: %255BUNSET%255D.jpg]
What makes this a fun plan is that you have to run around all the loops to run one lap! And it will be easy to have overview from the middle of the room.
An ambitious layout project that I look forward to hearing more about! I traced the mainline route with my cursor and it really does weave around! I imagine it would take some time to complete one circuit around the layout. Nice illustration of the plan, by the way.

Best wishes!
Ralph
that's quite a mainline! What's the overall size?
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Thanks!
I think it will suit my taste just right...
Wink
It is going to be in a room 22' x 15'.
I will have 26" minimum radius curves and 28" minimum on the main line.
Hello all--

I came across this trackplan and am intrigued. But a quick estimate of the grades shows some in the 5% range! Is it possible to adjust the grades to a max 2.5% for contemporary standard gauge operations in HO with four-axle diesels, and still get over and under and not lose the essence of the plan? Thanks!

Stuart
BAR Wrote:Hello all--

I came across this trackplan and am intrigued. But a quick estimate of the grades shows some in the 5% range! Is it possible to adjust the grades to a max 2.5% for contemporary standard gauge operations in HO with four-axle diesels, and still get over and under and not lose the essence of the plan? Thanks!

Stuart
Hmmm, no....
The elevations are in cm, not inches...
The maximum grade is 2.5%