First One
Sumpter250 Wrote:By the way, do you know where the Mets got their name?

I might have known, once, long ago, but can't now remember. It's not that I'm old, it's that when "Dem Bums" left Ebbets Field, I lost all interest in Major League Baseball. ( except that as an old Dodger fan, I despised, and still do, the N.Y Yankees, and still feel good when any team beats them ).
These days, the Chicago Cubs are the closest thing I've found to the old Brooklyn Dodgers. ( except for their World Series Record )

Mets, as I recall, was short for Metropolitan (something).
I remember watching something on TV many years ago, maybe it was a comedy sketch or something, but there was this soldier that was supposedly holed up in a remote island after WWII. He was there apparently to defend the island from invasion and had no communications to the outside world for some 20 or 30 years yet he stayed by his post waiting to be relieved and not knowing that the war was over decades ago. Finally, one day a group of Americans landed a boat on the beach and was heading towards his hideout. If you remember your war movies, one form of ID of friend or foe was to yell out, "where are the Dodgers from?" Well, when someone in the group yelled back, "Los Angeles", he immediately started shooting remembering his orders and knowing full well that these guys must be the enemy.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Mike Kieran Wrote:Can't help it. My family was originally from the Bronx and my first game ever was at The Stadium on June 8, 1969 (Mickey Mantle Day). Boy it sucks to be a Mets fan this year. I am however a Brooklyn Cyclones fan (it's a Brooklyn Thing) whose Stadium is built on Steeplechase Park.

If anyone remembers Steeplechase Park, then they remember that there was a midget clown at the exit to the park. That was my Uncle Tom.

By the way, do you know where the Mets got their name?

Short for "Metropolitans" was all I knew but I just did a little online search to see the name has an old heritage. And yeah, its a little slice of masochism to be a fan right now. I keep getting excited when they reach .500 ball, only to see them drop below the next day! Enjoy the Bomber's season as they edge up on Boston.
Despite the lousy season I'm going to stick my neck out and say the Mets will take 2 out of 3 in the upcoming Subway series at home. Smile

Ralph

Oh, I once went to a Yankees Old Timer's Day double header in the early 70s and saw Mantle hit a home run!
Meet the mets, meet the mets
step right up and greet the mets!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfz7gW2Wf3I&feature=related">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfz7gW2W ... re=related</a><!-- m -->
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
The name is actually an acronym for My Entire Team Su***, err Stinks :o Confusedhock: . You should see the grief that I give Boston Red Sox Fans Tongue . Now that I'm done being a complete ass 35 , I'm thankful to Fred Wilpon for bringing baseball back to Brooklyn.

As a side note, about 20 years ago, there was a bar in Brooklyn called the Brooklyn Dodger. Great place with authentic Ebbets Field seats that you could sit in as soon as you entered the bar. The bar sent out an invite for a Bury The Hatchet Party to the owners at the time, the odious O'malleys. The Dodgers countered with a lawsuit of Trademark Infringement against the bar. The case was in court for a few years before a decision came down that there was no trademark infringement because the name of the bar was in the singular (Dodger) versus the Plural (Dodgers).
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Man I walked into that one! 357
But it take a great man to accept a good ribbing Worship Worship Worship .
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Since I've never been mean to anybody for anything on Blue I've decided to hurt your eyeballs to make up for it.. Eek
This is the Ol Furrball and his boys.Jamie is the redhead (though he acts blonde at times) and Smokie is the grey one doing what comes natcheraly to him complete with snoring. :mrgreen:

[Image: boysnme.jpg]
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Great Pic Catt Smile Smile I like that - the cat that snores too Smile Smile Too cute!!!

.... and yeah - all cats act "blonde" sometimes Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
I'm wondering who taught who how to relax there. Smile Looks like you have it down beautifully, Catt!
Ralph
PS...somewhere I have a similar photo of myself and my two "girls". Once they settle in I know I'm not getting up for a while!
I don't have many pics of myself but one that is my favourite was taken at the NNGC in Detroit MI just after the Katrina Hurricane in New Orleans ( 2005).
[Image: PicsfromoldPC542.jpg]

These were guys who were members of Railroad Line Forum and from the left , John B. , Karl Osolinski ( coaxed into public ! ) , Mario Rappinet ( from OZ ) and your's truely .....think we had a few " pops" in us by this time of night as I recall . I had to sneak Karl in because he was too cheap to pay at the door this late in the day , so he had my nametag on and I had someone elses . It was a fun time and Mario ....took about 3 days to understand him.., right mate ? 357

Terry
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
The trouble with an N scale layout is that it sometimes needs a close up look to see the details...
[Image: 2ee6faac.jpg]
Unlike the layout builder, who is best not examined too closely. Nope
Bob Hughes
Blackcloud's Blog
Hello All,

Greg
This is probably the most gratifying thread we have. There are times that we all have a chance to meet in person someone from one of the railroad forums. That's exciting when that happens. Sometime a few know each other a long time perhaps from a club or show, but for the most part, we have no idea who we're talking to here. We're all friends for sure, but it still is nice to be able to put a face to a name, and for that we're grateful when someone posts in this thread. We thank you all for doing it, and keep those mug shots coming. Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Dang it, I think I'm the youngest here. Icon_lol
Now, for your pleasure( or horror) here's me in all my glory[Image: photostream]
Collinthecreeper Wrote:Dang it, I think I'm the youngest here. Icon_lol
Now, for your pleasure( or horror) here's me in all my glory[Image: photostream]

Collin,

First of all, welcome. Welcome Secondly, if you need help on how to post pics here, just ask. I don't see yours yet, so I'm wondering if you are having difficulties...
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and