My other hobbies.
Well, I try to keep my busy. I am in to also to cars and try to keep my first gen Sebring LTD conv. in shape and spend loads of time with my guitars or at gym. I also am in to photography, driving and paintings. With paintings and photography I have had a few exebitions thay have gone pretty well and I paint and photograph mostly landscapes as I love taking on vacations my car and camera to Norway, which is a incredible country.

With Music I do have a small studio and is planning to do some recordings and as i am a metal fan, you might guess what the recorded stuff will sound like. I play guitars and bass and own several of them. I also have a old synth which i will use too, though I am not a keyboard player. Drums will be dealth with a drum machine. Music seems to be everywhere i am and I stumble to differnt Projects, mostly then to promotion, photograbhy and some CD-covers.

I bought the car 2 years ago and have been upgrading its shape. I have the belts replaced once I bought it so it will in good mechanical shape for now. the body is rust free and I have dealt with aminor corrosion underneath. It is nice top down ride in sunny day and it nice to cruise around and listen to music.

I wish I had more time to paint but it usually does take time as I paint mostly in gouche, which is a water colors that covers as nice as acrylics so my way of painting is not exactly the usual stuff you see with water colors. I am playing on the ideas of paintings of cars aswell. But all that will be when i get time for it. Maybe if I am in the mood, I have a open house when the tourist season starts over here in July. As I previously have worked with events, I can pretty easily do a classy arrangements.

Gym is fun, mostly for it pushes all the limits you have both physically and mentally and it is nice to feel the reward you get from a decent work out. I am not doing it for the beach season, just for fun of it. besides it is nice also have a long walks wheter with Company or my own.

Photography i have done on and off for years, as hobby, semi proffessionally and also to catch scenes and places I love to paint some day so I have loads of them when I get to paint. Semi professionally I worked with bands, some famous some just locals, the local hockey team and companies. I also have it with me when railfanning or just photograph whatever intersting protoypes I find. Plenty of railfanning photos can be found on my website http://www.olaviahokas.com/trainstuff
Thanks for Reading!

Cheers! Dancing

All that has prevented me from building a layout but I guess I have so many ideas that I guess I can incorporate the best of to the day when I get that going.
If you don't learn how to relax you will die young, I had to take a nap after reading all that. Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
lol!!!!!!!!
Painkiller,

I have been working on a Lionel display layout for over 10 years Icon_lol bench work is done, track work is down but still need to wire up a control panel, also need to start buying some operating accessories to complete the layout, then I can start on the American flyer layout Icon_lol I also paint with acrylic paint on canvas(mostly trains)still developing my skills, but find it to be relaxing. Of all the hobbies I have had I gave up 2 of them Base ball cards and raising tropical fish.
here a few photos. The Sebring...
[Image: 107.jpg]
[Image: 105.jpg]

Some of my guitars:
[Image: 1.jpg]
[Image: doshombres.jpg]

A couple of paintings all not that detailed images.
[Image: ships1.jpg]
[Image: femunden.jpg]
[Image: romdalshornet.jpg]
Wink I'm testing my "guessing skills" - - - - The N-150A Fishing boat in your painting.......is She about 60 feet long ?

You paint the sea, well !!!
I'm 21 years U.S.Navy. I've seen both the Atlantic Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea, from dead calm, to full fury.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
THe fishing boat origins from a photo of a partial cutter I saw in the papers that dealth on problems on in shore fishing at Lofoten way back. I liked the details and I know pretty well the shape of North sea fishing cutters so it was easy to free Lance the rest. The Mountains in the background are a mix of Mountains I sa on various Pictures on net which are not unlike those at Lofoten, Norway. The sea caused a problem with the colors I used, when wet they looked great but once dried, looked like made of plaster. This was my first try, and turned out OK. It took a while to get it right. So the vessel is one quarter reality, Three quarters fiction, I guess 60-70 foot in lenght is just about right. The designation N15OA is N for Norway, 15 as it was my fifteenth painting and OA are my innitials. I have Another painting based on Eureka the 4-4-0 that at times runs on the Silverton line. I backdated it a bit and added Mountains from Lofoten Norway just for fun and as thank you for lending Mountains for the fishing boat scene. I love painting and want to do more. .
Eureka, as I saw her a couple of years ago, on the way home from Colorado.

and a shot of the San Juan Mountains.

Just in case you need a little more reference material for your painting. Smile
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
In my version of it came like this
[Image: ww.jpg]
Painkiller Wrote:In my version it came lik this
[Image: ww.jpg]

Wow you have talent and skills with paint, how long did it take to get to that level of detail? I attended a free painting class at a local community center while I was unemployed stuck with it for 2 years. I have a long way to go to get to the level of detail in your paintings. I did mostly trains and hunting dogs with game birds(pheasants) I like the boat painting lots of detail and texture to the painting.
I have never taken classes, so it was a proggession from small schetches I di when I visted my old girlfriend I had. She and her friends were in an art class and Before going out, they decided to kill some time by drawing Pictures. I draw something that reminded the beautyful scenery I saw on my trip to her Place. They liked it and back home I bought some sheets of paper and started from there. After Learning to draw, I experimented a bit and after moving up here (not far away where my by then ex lived) I wanted to give paining a try. At school the stuff I did was just rubbish, but at 28, all in sudden I could draw. I did three exeriments with the paint, first an eagle and couple of Norwegian landscapes before I started with a view of the narrow fjord of Geiranger in Norway. And it turned pretty great allthough the trees look much like sponges...

Well in average it takes some 80 hours for a painting some takes more time than others though. They are all 60 cm x 80 cm in size as I paint on gouache it takes alot of attention to drying process and sometimes the dryed up colors does its tricks. That is why on the fishing boat it took days to get the water on lwer right corner right. Tree making is a pain and takes a lot of timeas you need a few dryed up brushes to paint a few trees or a field. I do some stuff with a pencil as well and it is kind of funny how opposte things are. Something like rocks takes a few minutes to do with paint while on pencil it takes quite along time to get it right.

I do things in layers. Like the wood on the fishing boat I had something like 7 layers in all on each board. That way I could add details like marks from branches on it. I painted every second board on one time and following ones, once the previous were dry, the unfinished boards next. So it has 7 plus 7 layers in all. I guess the photography have helped me to get the scenes right and the colors comes from weathering the model railroad equipment.

The Eureka came from a photo on one issue of MR way back I even added the enginner from the photo who I guess it is the owner as tribute for his restoration of the real thing. The rest is pure fiction though I have reread Silver San Juan a loads of time so I had an idea how a typical old water tower looks like. The scene with the horses are just pure fiction and I did have the cunning idea of having the mountains from Norway as a pay back for "stealing" Colorado Mountains on the Norwegian fishing boat scene.

[Image: roros1.jpg]

Painting is fun and I guess I am a detail freek as I was painting a city scene of the well preserved mining town of Roros in Norway which is located some 350 km.s from my house. I ended up with a White spot on the center of the painting as I could not figure out how those small timbered ware houses looked like. So I filled some gas and took the car there to just to watch the wall, shot a few photos and headed back and finished it. I did a few Changes as felt that if I back dated the house to early 19th Century by having it timbered wall it would ad more interest. I felt that the warehouses needed an extra detail, I added a small window to it. The punsch line of the story was a couple of years after I added it to my web site I visited the spot and somebody had placed an allmost identical windoe on the same spot as I had... lol The odd shaped short end caused me some problems as I thought that the sides end of end was like mirrow image. While at the spot I learned that was not the case as there was an add on which I guess are stars to the second level. One lesson learned, allways take few spare Pictures, that is cheaper and takes less time compare to a 700 km round trip.

Thanks for your comments and don't stop painting, it is fun!
You are a true artist! Worship
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thank you for your kind Words!

I have another paining from the town of Roros Norway which I based on this photo I took in the mid of the night in late june. Att the high altitude you get allmost day light even in the night. Here is the photo of the site. This time I omitted a few windows this time.

[Image: 27.jpg]

And the paining, I did change the time of the day. If you ever go to norway this old Town though being transformed a bit for the tourist trap is still worth a stop as most of the cabins are very old. It is amaizing that these cabins could host fmilies throuth the the year and the winters here are pretty severe.

[Image: roros3.jpg]

Cheers from a snowy Sweden! Popcornbeer
Painkiller you are one very talented dude. You have so many talents that they are all fighting for a slice of your time.
By the way how old are you?
Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Thanks! I am 54 now.... born in 1960.