Diageo - Plainfield, Illinois
Any ideas why a liquor distributor/bottler would load tank cars?

Diageo in Plainfield, Illinois on the CN (ex-EJE) has three spurs with loading racks that are always full of ethanol (according to the DOT placards on them) tank cars. A little Googling indicates they distribute brands like Captain Morgan rum from the Plainfield plant but I can't figure why they'd be loading tanks.

There are no silos for grain, etc. and the only cars ever spotted there are tanks, so it's not a distillery.

Maybe they blend and reship?

Thanks!
Welcome to Big Blue, glad you stopped by to see what we have here. I'll leave it up to others to answer your question, I just wanted to say "Hi, glad to see you". Big Grin
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ezdays Wrote:Welcome to Big Blue, glad you stopped by to see what we have here. I'll leave it up to others to answer your question, I just wanted to say "Hi, glad to see you". Big Grin

Thanks for the welcome! Out of all the RR/MRR forums out there, it seems to me that BB has the most knowledgeable and mature, reasonable posters (maybe because it's moderated? LOL!)
jcj380 Wrote:Thanks for the welcome! Out of all the RR/MRR forums out there, it seems to me that BB has the most knowledgeable and mature, reasonable posters (maybe because it's moderated? LOL!)

Yeah, we have moderators here just about around the clock, just that there's so little to do that it's hard to keep them awake. Our biggest job is to keep the spammers away, and even then, we've got that pretty well under control. Thumbsup I think our members are good people that have a passion for railroading, and they respect the other members and Big Blue as well. Big Grin A great combination that hard to beat anywhere... Cheers
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
jcj380 Wrote:Any ideas why a liquor distributor/bottler would load tank cars?

Diageo in Plainfield, Illinois on the CN (ex-EJE) has three spurs with loading racks that are always full of ethanol (according to the DOT placards on them) tank cars. A little Googling indicates they distribute brands like Captain Morgan rum from the Plainfield plant but I can't figure why they'd be loading tanks.

There are no silos for grain, etc. and the only cars ever spotted there are tanks, so it's not a distillery.

Maybe they blend and reship?

Thanks!

Could they be the bottling plant? Raw alcohol is diluted to the specific "proof" and then bottled?