Blog forum intentions
On our old forum we had a blog section where any member could start a blog, or a narrative about something they were doing. We thought it would be a good idea to try something like that here since we had around 70 of them in a short time after starting them. We don't have a blog section, so we're going to try it in a separate forum. I we ever add a blog section, we will move these threads to there.

In the meantime, we ask that these blogs be train related. It could be about a project you are working on, the progress you're making on your layout, or even a trip you've taken by train. I'm not sure if we want a lot of comments intermingled within a blog, so for now, unless the bogger invites comments, we ask that you post comments on a blog in a separate thread. If that doesn't work out, we'll see what does work, so If anyone has any comments as to how to improve this, or any questions, please feel free to either PM me directly, post here in this thread or in "Forum Problems and requests".
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
People tend to chronical their projects (from the smallest to largest) in a single thread. We already have a number, especially in the "Layout" forum.

Perhaps this forum will serve as a "Table of Contents" rather than a true blog. That way, the original thread can stay where it is (e.g. a scale forum, or tips and tricks, or whatever).

My $0.02...

Andrew
MasonJar Wrote:People tend to chronical their projects (from the smallest to largest) in a single thread. We already have a number, especially in the "Layout" forum.

Perhaps this forum will serve as a "Table of Contents" rather than a true blog. That way, the original thread can stay where it is (e.g. a scale forum, or tips and tricks, or whatever).

My $0.02...

Andrew
That's a possibility as is someone just going through a project a step at a time here, as did some people over at the other forum. Me, I had my train articles there, and just might do the same thing here rather than have them disappear in another forum. The other advantage of this over what we used to have is that we were limited to one blog each. This way we can each have as many blogs as we need.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Exactly what is the difference between a "blog" and a plain "thread"??
A thread does the same thing doesn't it?
videobruce Wrote:Exactly what is the difference between a "blog" and a plain "thread"??
A thread does the same thing doesn't it?

It is technically very similar. But the intention is different. You start a thread to get into a discussion. That means you hope and expect others to reply. A blog ist mostly started because you want to tell something in multiple steps. It is not your primary intention to get replies.
Reinhard
I guess it's a function of the " place" where the blog resides. My daughter has a blog, dedicated to her newborn sons. All of the "posts" are her's, but there is a "reply" section, which is attached at the bottom of each day's page. To reply, one has to be logged in --------
( screenname, and password ).
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gclaser.com">http://www.gclaser.com</a><!-- m -->
By definition, a blog is: "A shared on-line journal where people can post daily entries about their personal experiences and hobbies". Some forum software, like vBulletin, has as structured place for blogs. We had one on our old Gauge forum that was separately linked. PhpBB does not have that ability, so we've chosen to have ours as threads in a sub-forum. That's why they look like, and are accessed like, other threads. We do not expect discussions in the blog sub-forum, but there's no reason why someone can't comment on a post there. The thing is, that once someone starts a blog thread, it is theirs for their comments and stories, just like blogs elsewhere.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Nice thing about a blog is it won't fall way down in the list of threads. When you want to update it you don't have to search through pages of old posts. Smile

Ok, all of that makes sense. IOW's it is kind of a diary.

I'm just a "thread" kind of guy. Wink