Intellibox II can program Tsunami sound decoder
There is nothing I can do with ESU Lokpilot. I have been in intensive discussions with ESU when V4 was brand new on the market. They finally declared it as "works as designed".
I am sorry, may be I should have made it more clear I am not seeking for help but reported how the Lokpilot behaves in the brand new GMD-1. Everything else looks great so far.
Reinhard
kamerad47 Wrote:Reinhard, It's nice to see you admit that sound dose make a difference switching the cars!!! To be honest it's hard for me to run the loco's with out sound now!!!!! Thumbsup
An Athearn Genesis NS GP40-2 arrived this week and it got a Tsunami sound decoder too. I had (past tense) a concern with the jump start of the Tsunami decoder on my first installations but that could be cured with an individual step table. I start with a value of 1 and increment by 1 for a the first 5 steps and increments of 2 for the remaining steps. "Top speed" is a value of 51 in CV 94. That is a nice slow step table for a switching layout. The CV3 for acceleration delay is set to 10 (CV4 is 5) to ease the very first (jump) step from 0 to 1. It is not a world class crawler but it is a sufficient coupling speed.
Global sound (CV128) is down to 50 and my be reduced even more. That is loud enough in a small silent room.
Reinhard
Hi Reinhard,

Tsunami's can be very hard to tame to get the lowspeed ok. There are several approaches, but if you are able and willing to experiment, try this:

Start with everything set at factory default and no momentum (CV3 and CV4 at 0) , and input 50 into CV209. Then, put 1 into CV210.

Set the loco to travel at speed step one (using a 28-step speed input), and then increase the value of 210 until it runs smoothly. You may also consider reducing CV209 after that, to get it crawling along, without hesitation. After you're happy, you can then install any custom speed-curve using CV25 and CV29.

Note that, for getting the best results from a Tsunami (or any other sound decoder), some "delay" via CV3 and CV4 is required. This will also assist with smooth starts and stops. My usual values are CV3, 50-80, CV4, 30-50.

Depending on the make and model of locomotive, these two CV values should be tested in various combinations until satisfaction is attained. Note that each individual locomotive should be tested; don't assume that if one set of CV settings works in one loco, an "identical" one will perform in the same way.
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Koos, I have tried that and some more "tricks" to get the Tsunami running smooth at low speed. I have never been satisfied and that was the main reason to put the Tsunami decoders back into the drawer and not in engines anymore.

I was surprised but I suggest you give it a try. Set the CVs to use the CV 67-94 (CV25=16 CV29=18 and some delay CV3=5, CV4=5) and take the time to enter 28 values as follows:
(first 9 CVs increment by 1) CV67=1, CV=68=2, CV69=3 .... =9, (remaining 19 CVs increment by 2) =11, =13, =15, =17, =19...... CV94=47

ps. You get a funny behaving engine if you skip one CV and it has still the factory set high value 357
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:Koos, I have tried that and some more "tricks" to get the Tsunami running smooth at low speed. I have never been satisfied and that was the main reason to put the Tsunami decoders back into the drawer and not in engines anymore.

I was surprised but I suggest you give it a try. Set the CVs to use the CV 67-94 (CV25=16 CV29=18 and some delay CV3=5, CV4=5) and take the time to enter 28 values as follows:
(first 9 CVs increment by 1) CV67=1, CV=68=2, CV69=3 .... =9, (remaining 19 CVs increment by 2) =11, =13, =15, =17, =19...... CV94=47

ps. You get a funny behaving engine if you skip one CV and it has still the factory set high value 357

Those 28 steps is the user programmable speed curve, and do little to keep the motor tamed, however it can be beneficial to tweak them a little for each specific engine indeed. I use JMRI decoder pro so I can use a graphical interface and set sliders to the desired positions.

Cheers, Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
torikoos Wrote:..... do little to keep the motor tamed,....
That is what I assumed too and tried all the tweaks, like yours, published in the internet. None of the tweaks satisfied me but the simple speed curve starting with 1 works fine for me (Athearn Genesis GP38-2/GP40-2 drive).
Reinhard